Home Phone

Get help with your TalkTalk landline and calling features.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interference on home phone line

terry115
Popular Poster
Message 16 of 16

Just moved into our new home and find awful swishing noise when trying to use our home phone line. Seems to be a regular problem on the community which gets resolved. Hope you can help here.  Terry

Terry
0 Likes
15 REPLIES 15

Message 1 of 16

Hi Terry,

I've booked the engineer for February 09 2021, AM (08:00-13:00) - please let us know how you get on

Chris

0 Likes

Message 2 of 16

Hi Terry,

I've sent you a PM

Chris

0 Likes

Message 3 of 16

Hi Terry

I've replied to your PM

Chris

0 Likes

Message 4 of 16

Hi Terry

Thanks for answering the security questions, I've sent you a PM requesting a little more information 

Chris

0 Likes

Message 5 of 16

Yes, Chris, l'll pay any charges incurred. Availability is any day in the morning. Thanks Terry

Terry
0 Likes

Message 6 of 16

OK Terry,

If you'd like us to go ahead with the engineer visit can you confirm:

• That you accept potential Engineers charges
  • Provide availability, either AM (8am to 1pm) or PM (1pm to 6pm) between Monday to Friday.

I've also sent you a PM to confirm some other details 

Chris

0 Likes

Message 7 of 16

Hello Chris

Thanks for your prompt reply. Yes, please book an engineer visit. I did see that earlier you said the line was clear, but the ex-BT engineer I had today is sure the fault is outside, so I hope the Open Reach engineer can sort it. If they report back they need to enter the property, it is empty so covid should not be a problem, but let's take one step at a time. Many thanks Terry 

Terry
0 Likes

Message 8 of 16

Hi terry115,

Yes, if the noise is so bad that you can't use the phone at all then we can treat this as total loss of service. As the line test is passing we can only book this as an appointed visit to your home. The engineer may then decide on investigation that access to your home isn't required or is required but unsafe due to Covid restrictions.

If you'd like us to go ahead with the engineer visit please let us know and we'll confirm some details 

Chris

0 Likes

Message 9 of 16

Hi Chris

We cannot use the phone due to the noise. In view of your reply I had a ex-bt engineer visit today to try to rectify the obvious fault. He confirmed the house circuit is ok. He also confirmed there is an external fault on the network back to the phone exchange. The fault is on the earth cable, also causing the ADSL to drop out intermittently. If we can't use the phone which he agreed then as far as I'm concerned that is a total loss of use, which is preventing us from moving into the property. As the fault is external there is no need for an engineer to enter our property. So I would appreciate if you would arrange a visit with Open Reach. We cannot continue like this for weeks or even longer. Thanks Terry 

Terry
0 Likes

Chris-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 10 of 16

Hi terry115,

To investigate further we'll need to arrange an engineer visit but we can only arrange visits to the home at the moment for total loss of service, due to Covid restrictions. When the situation changes we'll be able to arrange a visit, apologies for any inconvenience

Chris

0 Likes

Message 11 of 16

Michelle, yes, there is a test socket which we tested with and without the microfilter, but interference is the same. Terry

Terry
0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 12 of 16

Hi terry,

I'm sorry for the delay. I've just re-read through your thread, can I confirm, does the master socket have a test socket behind the faceplate? If it does then is this were you tested just the phone with and without the microfilter connected?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 13 of 16

Hello Debbie

I have disconnected the router and used a different phone but the noise persists. Can you say what else to try. If it requires Openreach to visit, then can you arrange that. Thanks Terry

Terry
0 Likes

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 14 of 16

Hi terry115

I'm sorry for the delay.

I've completed a line test which hasn't detected any faults - Line test is clear.

Have you tested with a corded handset directly at the test socket, with the router removed from the line?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Message 15 of 16

Staff will reply during business hours Monday-Friday, @terry115.

If you want to try to reach Talktalk over the weekend, try phoning 03451 720046. Saturday after 9am. 

Chat can be reached any day after 9am. Scroll down on this page to find the link:

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Our-update-on-Coronavirus/ta-p/2468300

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.