would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Intermittent Caller Display

ANSWERED
13 REPLIES 13
John1949
Team Player

We have had caller display ever since we have been with TalkTalk, about 9 years, but the service is now getting very intermittent.

Some calls still show the caller ID, but an increasing number are appearing as “External”. This is across the board, it makes no difference whether the call is from a mobile or landline, it even happens on calls from other TalkTalk users both locally and from other areas. 

Any ideas?

Community Team

Hi @John1949

Sorry that you are having problems.

The 1st step is always to remove caller display and then re-add the service, I will do that today, 

If you can retest in 24 hours and let us know. 

Thanks. 

Community Team
John1949
Team Player

Hi Arne,

Definitely better but still some coming through as ‘external’ even though they are from known contacts. Should I monitor it for a week or so to give it a fair trial and update you again then?

John

Community Team

Hi @John1949

Yes, keep an eye on it for a week or so and let us know how it goes. 

Sarah1980
First Timer

Hi Arne

After a reasonable result, where the majority of calls came through with an ID, it has now gradually deteriorated to a point where the majority of calls come through as 'external'. This is across the board, landline, mobile, local, national and other TT customers. Very frustrating!

I am also being prompted by TT to activate CallSafe on my line, but am afraid that with caller ID being so intermittent, I will end up not receiving calls that I want because they are not identified.

John1949
Team Player

Hi Arne

For some reason my post of 2hrs ago has been attributed to newbie Sarah1980. It was actually from me as an update with the ongoing problem of caller display

After a reasonable result, where the majority of calls came through with an ID, it has now gradually deteriorated to a point where the majority of calls come through as 'external'. This is across the board, landline, mobile, local, national and other TT customers. Very frustrating!

I am also being prompted by TT to activate CallSafe on my line, but am afraid that with caller ID being so intermittent, I will end up not receiving calls that I want because they are not identified.

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @John1949 your posts are remerged.

Are you running both @John1949 and @Sarah1980 member sign-ins? 

Gondola - Community support team

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

John1949
Team Player

Yes, Sara1980 was visiting and used my computer and the accounts apear to have got mixed up. Sarah does not have a problem with the caller display on her line, the post is from me John1949

Sorry for the confusion

Community Team
Solution

Hi John1949,

I'm sorry to hear this. Just to confirm, have you a look at the below Help Article which contains some advice on what to try if Caller Display is not working properly?

About Caller Display

Thanks

John1949
Team Player

@OCE_Michelle 

Very helpful. Followed the advise in the article and it looks as though it may be my message machine that is causing, or at least contributing, to the problem. I have disconnected it and will monitor what happens over the next few weeks.

I will keep you updated.

Community Team

Hi John,

Thanks for the update and please let us know if you need any assistance 🙂

Thanks

John1949
Team Player

@OCE_Michelle 

Hi Michelle,

Caller display still working fine, so I guess it was my answer machine causing the problem.

Thanks for your help, much appreciated.

John

Community Team