Home Phone

Get help with your TalkTalk landline and calling features.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent Faults on Landline

graemeglen1
Team Player
Message 61 of 61

I've had an intermittent fault for months which I've lived with as it's so difficult to contact TalkTalk by any means these days. I haven't seen the pop-up opportunity for an online chat, which used to be permanently available, then became apparently random. Now it's just not there at all.

The original fault: for several minutes - sometimes as many as 10 - after finishing one call on the landline, I often wouldn't get a dialling tone at all. Now, for the last week, there's an additional problem and I've set a day aside to try and get through, somehow, to TalkTalk. I've not ruled out, however, resorting to pen and paper if I can find a postal address. It seems an extraordinary situation, for a communications company!

The additional problem now is that, whether I'm receiving or making a call, even after waiting for a dialling tone, once the call has been connected, ie, once the call timer starts counting up, there's absolute silence at my end. Sometimes the person on the other end can hear me: sometimes not. Sometimes, I even get through and can receive or make calls - I'd say at the moment it's approximately 50/50 - but I'm increasingly having to rely on my cellphone and indoor repeption here's not great.

Can anyone give me ANY contact number for TalkTalk, or tell me if/how online chat is still available, even randomly?

0 Likes
60 REPLIES 60

Message 1 of 61

OK Graeme, thanks for  the update

Chris

0 Likes

graemeglen1
Team Player
Message 2 of 61

Hi, Debbie.

The Openreach engineer tested everything at my home again earlier this afternoon and concluded that the intermittent fault may be with a Call Blocker unit. When I tested the line originally back in January, I'm pretty certain I bypassed both the call blocker and a personal alarm unit using the dedicated test socket (behind the main Openreach socket's front plate) but the evidence on this visit does indeed point to the call blocker. We decided I should try without the call blocker unit altogether for a week or two to see if this is truly the source of the problem. All I can do, as ever, is keep you posted and let you know if the problem resurfaces.

Regards,

Graeme.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 61

Hi Graeme

I'm sorry to hear this.

I will look out for updates from Openreach on Monday afternoon, thanks for letting us know.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

graemeglen1
Team Player
Message 4 of 61

Hi, Chris. Please ignore any message (if any) from about half an hour ago. I'd assumed the engineers had been working at the exchange as I didn't see them here at home between 8am and 1pm. However, I've just had a call from Openreach to apologise that they couldn't attend today. They rebooked for this coming Monday, 28th, PM - between 1 and 6. I'll let you know how I get on then.

Regards, Graeme.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 61

Hi Graeme,

I've booked the earliest appointment available - February 24 2022, AM (08:00-13:00) - please let us know how you get on

Chris

0 Likes

graemeglen1
Team Player
Message 6 of 61

Hi, Debbie.

I thought I'd replied to your last message but can't see any evidence of it so, here goes again. I've got appointments this morning (Tuesday 22nd Feb), tomorrow morning (Wed 23rd Feb), and next Wednesday morning (2nd March). Otherwise, I'm free AM and PM.

Regards,

Graeme.

0 Likes

Message 7 of 61

Hi Graeme

When would you be available for the engineer visit? AM and PM?

0 Likes

graemeglen1
Team Player
Message 8 of 61

Hi, Debbie.

I think your suggestion of an escalation is welcome and timely. I've just talked a neighbour of mine into having an alarm pendant in case of falls, etc. I've got one myself but, of course, it's only of any use if the landline is reliable and working.

Regards,

Graeme.

0 Likes

Message 9 of 61

Hi Graeme

I'm so sorry to hear this 😞

The next step would be another Openreach engineer visit but I can raise an escalation and request that a senior engineer investigates this fault.

Would you like me to arrange this?

Thanks

Debbie

graemeglen1
Team Player
Message 10 of 61

Hi, Debbie.

Sorry to report the landline's still playing up. I've had a clear run until today but had no dialling tone (on and off - intermittent, again) this morning.

Regards,

Graeme.

0 Likes

Message 11 of 61

Hi Graeme

I know it's early days but I was just wondering how the line has been over the last few days?

Thanks

Debbie

Message 12 of 61

Hi Graeme

No problem 🙂

Of course, I understand. It will take time to confirm if the fault has been fully fixed (I've got my fingers crossed)

Divert has been removed. Please let us know how you get on (no rush though)

Debbie 🙂

graemeglen1
Team Player
Message 13 of 61

Hi, Debbie. Sorry I've only just picked this up. I've tried once to reply but don't seem to have got through so here goes again ...

I've not tested the line exhaustively but have dialled 17070 several times and the line check has worked every time. The problem with an intermittent fault is that you can't necessarily tell very easily whether the fix is also intermittent! We must assume it's fixed permanently unless/until we have evidence to the contrary - innocent until proved guilty! Could you remove the divert from my landline, please, as that will enable more testing to be done without even trying.

Thanks for all your help and for keeping me informed every step of the way.

Regards,

Graeme.

Message 14 of 61

Hi Graeme

The work has all been completed. How has the line been?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 15 of 61

Hi Graeme

Is the phone line still down at the moment?

0 Likes

Message 16 of 61
0 Likes

graemeglen1
Team Player
Message 17 of 61

Thanks, Debbie. I'll have my mobile with me at all times and won't be further away than 15 minutes.

Graeme.

Message 18 of 61

Hi Graeme

Apologies for the confusion. This can take place at any time during the day.

They don't need access to the property so yes you can go out 🙂

I will keep monitoring for updates.

Thanks

Debbie

graemeglen1
Team Player
Message 19 of 61

Thanks for the confirmation, Debbie. I got the impression that the work was scheduled for between 8 and 1 but I think I may have imagined that - confused it with a previous engineer visit.

1. It could be any time today?

2. Will access be needed to my home (or me!), or could I venture out, away from home for an hour this morning?

Regards, Graeme.

0 Likes

Message 20 of 61

Good Morning Graeme

The Lift and Shift is all arranged for today so you will lose service at some point for up to 4hrs.

I will check this again this afternoon for updates.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes