cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Intermittent Problems Receiving Calls, Line Engaged?

12 REPLIES 12
profcat
Popular Poster

For a couple of weeks now, have been getting complaints that people have been trying to ring in to the house phone and getting engaged line when it hasn't been in use. Replaced wireless phones with wired phones yesterday and problem persists. Have tried ringing in and out to our mobile phones and not had as many problems with those, but sometimes went straight to voicemail. Only slight concern was that while putting the new phones in and trying them instead of a solid dial tone for one of them, got a pulsing dial tone instead. But that phone is giving a solid dial tone now. Tried the servicestatus/status-check tonight and it gave "Your Stability / Our health check shows that your internet has been disconnecting" but havn't had any issues with broadband at all recently.Microfilters are in all used sockets. Is there a problem on the line?

OCE_Arne
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi @profcat

I will look into this for you and get back to you. 

Regards

OCE_Arne

Hi @profcat

Line tests are not picking up any faults. 

Are the calls that are reported to you as failed seem to be at a particular time?   

The pulsing dialtone indicates a voicemail has been left. 

profcat
Popular Poster

Just rang in from my mobile without issue, then tried ringing out and got a message saying there was a fault on the line and to hang up. Rang out successfully after that.

profcat
Popular Poster
In addition internet is also running slow.
OCE_Michelle

Hi profcat,

I'm really sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Does your master socket have a test socket? If it does have a test socket then would it be possible to test the corded handset directly at the test socket and make some test calls to see if this fault is still happening?

In regards to the speed, I've checked and the sync speed looks good. Are you connected wired or wireless when you experience slow speeds?

Thanks

profcat
Popular Poster
Tried ringing in and out to/from our mobiles with the phone in the test socket and had no problems at this time, will wait and see if anyone else complains about the phone. Internet use is pretty much all wireless except for the talktalk tv box, 99% of the time internet is fine but occasionally it slows to a crawl for a short time.
OCE_Michelle

Hi profcat,

Ok thanks. This is just to rule out any issues with the internal wiring. In regards to the broadband speed. Have you tried a few different wireless channels to see how the speeds compare?

Change your wireless channel

Thanks

profcat
Popular Poster
wrt the wireless, the router automatically selects the least congested channel, which is nice. After some thought and after realising my laptop's wireless seemed fine in the same position as the wireless dongle, replaced the wireless dongle. It had been in service 10 years so it was probably the cause of the issue. Here's hoping the new one lasts that long, it is even picking up both frequencies from the router.
profcat
Popular Poster
Alright scrap that, tonight's connection has been particularly poor.
OCE_Arne

All our line tests are not detecting any issues, Would you like to try a replacement router ? 

profcat
Popular Poster

Alright wifi problem fixed. Turns out there was an extra piece of furniture blocking the wifi signal, and shifting it back out the way solved the spotty wifi connection.

OCE_Arne

Thanks for the update, Is the receiving calls problem still happening?