Home Phone

Get help with your TalkTalk landline and calling features.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

International landline calls to only one US number not working.

_Steve_
Chatterbox
Message 25 of 25

I have tried to phone USA number a number of times over past few days. It does not connect. Line goes dead, or does not ring, or message says redial or get engaged tone when I know the phone at the other end was not in use. Am on international dialling plan. I have tried this 10 times in a row on each attempted call and do not get through. This is whether it is in the day or middle of night. (I am trying to do a landline to landline call not a call over internet)

I know the number is OK as that line can ring me no problem. When they ring me from this number we both put the phone down and I try to ring back and can not connect. At the same time I can ring another land line in the USA and it connects and works OK. It also works to a mobile in the USA. I can phone other countries as well. Other people can phone the number in question no problem so it must be a routing problem with the call by the TT network? Frankly I am getting really fed up with TT as only seem to have trouble since been upgraded to fibre a few months ago with the new router TT insisted I install as phone line went dead for a few days when installed. This was fixed and calls have been OK to this number (that I cant seem to dial now) but I noted it took 2 or 3 goes to connect. Now there is no connection. My broadband connection keeps getting cut off as well since upgrading to fibre. Would this be part of the problem I wonder? The engineer had to come out and upgrade the master socket so that should not be the problem.

Any ideas as I don't want to spend an hour on chat trying to explain and resolve as had enough of that over past month trying to sort out the broadband issue.

0 Likes
24 REPLIES 24

Message 1 of 25

Hello,

Ok thanks for the update. In regards to the broadband issue, would you like us to send a different router for testing purposes to rule this out?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 2 of 25

Hi Michelle,

Sorry but not sure you actually read my last post properly? I said I would not update before Monday evening and you ask how the service has been doing on Monday morning? Unfortunately I could not update Monday evening so updating now in the early hours of Tuesday morning. 

I have just made a call to the number that was the problem. It was speed dialled not punched in and the call got through the first time after a slight pause of 10 seconds or so with ringing tone. Call was answered no problem and my number was displayed on the recipients phone. (previously on occasions my number had not come up on the phone and it had said "out of area" on their phone rather than my number which suggests that there had been routing problems in the past with my call to that number.) This number had called me Monday evening and had got through to me OK so I know that incoming calls are working still OK from this number as well.

I also called another number in the US and that worked OK first time as well. So it seems finally calls are working correctly and getting through first time as well with a clear line. After all this hassle and effort in writing these posts, I would like to see no problems for another week, now you have finally confirmed that the team have made some changes. I will post a week from today on the call issue that it is OK to close this issue if I have no problems in the next week, so, please don't ask how it is going before then. Rest assured if it stops working I will be most unhappy and you will certainly know about, as I will be posting again about it before next Tuesday. (assuming my broadband connection does not fail of course!)

As to the broadband issue it has been looked looked at and test run by your support before, both wireless and with cable connection and they still have not phoned me back about the issue after missing the last scheduled call in the text they sent me nearly a week ago. Frankly I feel like just giving up on trying to resolve broadband issues and just accept that it is unreliable and slow and will drop out at any time with your router. I really do not want to have to make a further 20 replies on this thread trying to resolve a more complicated issue than dialling a certain number when it is clear I have taken a lot of time to compose detailed responses that were not being read. Just ran a test in the early hours of the morning when speed is likely to be higher and download speed is 14.2Mbps. This is typically best speed I see on my fibre package unless I stand right next to the router with my laptop.  Currently it is approx. 8 feet from the router. I know it is the broadband/router here as using my laptop away on another network it was a noticeably faster browsing experience on the internet even at the lower download speed of 3.6Mbps on that network I tried and did a speed test on.

JUST TO RECAP, I will reply to this post in a week on the call issue, unless I have to earlier due to a failure in the service again.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 25

Hello,

I've now received confirmation from our team that they have made a change. How has this been since your last post?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 4 of 25

Morning,

Thank you for the update. I've asked the team to confirm if this has now been fully resolved. In regards to the broadband speed. Would it be possible to run a couple of wired speed tests just so we can confirm if this is solely related to the wireless connection? We can then offer more advice following this.

Thanks

0 Likes

_Steve_
Chatterbox
Message 5 of 25

Thank you for the update. I have not been told everything is working correctly yet but the number I have not been able to dial has told me that they had 2 calls at 3am in the morning their time! It was international call and with the number being 8 hours behind GMT it suggests this was being tried out around the time just before your post. In the middle of the night you are unlikely to get a reply from dialling  the number. My number may get answered as it is recognised but not another unknown number. Have you got a clue or any thought what you are doing when testing to see if the number is working? I don't tend to ring 3am in the morning US time just 3am GMT ie 8 hours behind when it would be 7pm. 

Update 18/11/21 8.30pm. I had a call from the number in question this evening. Call came through Ok nice and clear. They wondered if I had not phoned as line may have gone down but I said I had not tried today. Well I hung up and punched in the number ( not speed dialled) and the call connected after a few seconds first time with a proper ringing sound. The call was answered and was nice and clear the same clarity as the call going the other way a few moments earlier. So another day that I could dial the number first time. Not sure if you have done any changes or likely to do any more but so far so good so please do not mess up now as it seems to be working. I will continue to monitor and provide further update on Monday 22nd November evening. Again please do not close this voice call issue until I know it consistently works for a period of time. Please confirm what action has been done so others may know what to ask if they have a similar problem or this happens again.

As to the broadband issue I really don't have the time to go there at the moment. No connection again tonight. Restart computer. Disconnect and reconnect internet connection. It really is so hit and miss. Thankfully it works again at the minute so I can now post this reply! As to turning the router on and off as suggested I seem to have read somewhere (maybe I was told by support) that it tells you not to keep doing that. The "support" on that has again failed to call at the appointed time on the text and I have had no further update when they will call. The speed tests I have done were wireless. I was sent extender units to boost signal but you are advised to plug directly in a power socket not in an extension lead. There is no socket near enough to where the router is so that is a non starter. Sorry need to go now but am far from happy.

0 Likes

Message 6 of 25

Afternoon,

In regards to the voice issue, our team are making some changes and will confirm back to me when we can retest this.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 7 of 25

Hello,

Thank you. Apologies for all the questions, we're just trying to pinpoint when this started as this will help our engineers. I've passed the additional information over now.

In regards to your broadband connection, I've run a test on the line now which hasn't detected a fault and the sync speed looks consistent. Are you running the speed test wired or wireless? Is there any improvement in speed if you power down the router for a full 30 minutes and then retest again as this will reset the current session and can often increase the throughput speed?

Thanks

0 Likes

_Steve_
Chatterbox
Message 8 of 25

Michelle, if you read my posts you can see that it stopped working a few days before my first post in this thread. As I had been having to dial the number a couple of times virtually every time I rang to get through I thought it was just a temporary thing so do not have an exact date it started. I did think it would have been resolved without having to devote a considerable amount of time having to answer these questions. As I have put the number in my profile and you have access to my account surely you can see I have dialled the number that was not working 2 to 5 times a week for probably 10 years maybe more. Cant you see that? Sorry, but this just seems another reply to pass the baton back to me and to show that you are dealing with the problem.

I have tried to ring the number that was not working again this evening and it did connect first time using speed dial. The call was answered and was nice and clear. This is the first time for perhaps a month that I have got through first time.

Looking back the issue could have started to be a problem when I complained about the WIFI being disconnected/intermittent. Internet connection stability was the issue and with some settings changed that someone talked me through (but I could not tell you what was changed) it was slightly better but still being disconnected. I am still being called about this broadband complaint but TT again failed to call me today at the scheduled time this morning so don't get my started on that. (Not surprised really as this is not the first time they have failed to call a the date and time as per the text sent. )However whilst the internet connection is not perfect I think that since I have complained about dialling this US number, whatever has been done to allow connection again to this number has improved the internet stability connection as well though it has NOT improved the speed. Speed test just done gave 5.6Mb download and upload 3.3Mb on a fibre35 package. I have not been disconnected this evening after 4 hours on line which means something has changed in the last day or so as I would have been disconnected by now.

So encouraging news that the dialled number that was not working has worked twice in a day, but as I said on my previous post DO NOT call this issue resolved until I can see a period of trouble free dialling with first time connection and the broadband stability and speed is sorted.

0 Likes

Message 9 of 25

Morning,

I've fed this additional information back to the network fault engineers now. One final thing, do you know roughly when this stopped working? How often do you usually dial this specific number?

Thanks

0 Likes

_Steve_
Chatterbox
Message 10 of 25

Well all these posts about the problem have earned me yet another badge.  Yes I have been active on the board and I keep visiting as it is now 2 weeks that I could not phone this number. I am up 2.30am in the morning to try again today 16/11/21 and first attempt went through to the continuous beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep. (punched the number in not speed dialled for the record) I did try again and it I got ringing tone at last! I was could not believe it and was in a state of shock. Had to stop making my cup of tea as the number dialled answered - and it was very clear. WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPEEEEEEEEEEEE! The line did not get cut off. We then decided to try again to see if this was some kind of fluke. I redialled the same number using the speed dial and yes you guessed it the continuous beeeeeeeeeeeeep was there and the call did not connect. I tried again, (why do I try more than once I don't know, but I have become used to the fact that it does not work first time) and the call connected the second time. To be fair the call was very clear with no "noise" on the line. Having finished the call I was then worried that the other numbers I dial to the US may not work, so I tried them and they worked getting through first time. So for today so far as it is only just over 3 hours old the number does seem to be working all be it that I have to dial at least twice for it to connect, so it looks as though finally we have made some progress. I DO NOT want this issue closed as clearly the routing to this number is not 100% working otherwise the connection would work first time would it not? AM I expected to always diall the number at least twice for it to connect? If it doe snot connect after 2 times do I try 3, 4, 5 or more times? Never used to have dial this number more than once to get through only on the odd occasion back in the old days when you had to put 18418 in front of the number to get the cheaper international call rate with TT. (and before you ask no I don't use or have the 18418 in the number dialled now and have not for years so it was not that causing this problem.)

I will continue to update this topic in the next week or so as to any further progress but at last we seem to be making some progress but Michelle PLEASE note I still need this looked at why the calls do not connect first time. Thanks.

0 Likes

Message 11 of 25

Hello,

I'm sorry for the delay. One of my colleagues has just requested an update on this now and advised they will let me know as soon as they know more.

Thanks

0 Likes

_Steve_
Chatterbox
Message 12 of 25

Just to confirm I have had no update on when this is going to be resolved. As to dialling I am trying to dial the US number that does not connect every day both punching in the numbers directly on the pad and using the stored number. some days I try on 2 0r 3 occasions in the remote hope you have fixed the problem and not told me.  I do not get a ringing tone just silence and then noise as though phone has gone dead after a minute. As explained before I sometimes get a message about route or line or please try later.

The phone number that I cant connect to has phoned me a couple of days ago Thursday no problem and has received calls from both US and UK numbers all OK. I can still dial US and other international numbers OK without problem and receive calls from them. What is going on? It seems to be a routing problem to this number when called from my number. I got interrupted when typing this reply with a call from the number I can't call so I know that number is working today as at 8pm GMT. Incidentally that line also was able to take a call from another family member whilst I was put on hold, so we know that that number and phone is working fine and from other numbers. 

PLEASE  NOTE. If you do test calls to this number the call will not be answered as it will be screened first before any attempt to answer your call so you need to wait for the answering message to finish and then state clearly who is calling and why ie it is testing because of my number not working, quoting my number, and then it may get answered. This is because there have been a lot of rogue calls to this number so any unrecognised numbers will not be answered. Just before you say do they recognise my number they know it by heart so it is not a case of ignoring my number though in the past there has been the odd time where a totally different number to mine has come up on the phone which again suggests to me that it is a routing problem with the calls to this number from my number.

And as an aside the broadband intermittent issue which has not been resolved and I keep being told I will be phoned back has been put back again. Thankfully it has not disconnected whilst making this reply. Why does one of the replies from the TT support get 2 likes when it is clear the problem has not been resolved!  I think if we keep this going much longer I will have enough material to write a book! 

0 Likes

Message 13 of 25

Morning,

Just another quick check in this morning to let you know that I've not heard anymore since yesterday afternoon so hopefully I will hear more back today.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 14 of 25

Hello,

Just a quick update to let you know that the fault has been raised to the carrier and they are currently investigating this. I will post back again as soon as I know more.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 15 of 25

Morning,

I've re-escalated this back now and I will post again as soon as they come back to me.

Thanks

0 Likes

_Steve_
Chatterbox
Message 16 of 25

This is driving me mad. Do you just do this to bat the reply back to me so you can say you trying to solve the problem as it certainly seems that way? I said above I speed dial and direct dialled. I will spell it out further direct dialled I mean putting every single number in one by one in the correct order. I have tried again this evening and still it does not work. 3 times both methods over half hour period. This time there was a message "no routes found" on 2 occasions and another message when I tried again "that your call could not be completed." other times there was no message or ringing or any sound at all. I have rung this number previously for over 10 years using Talktalk no problem. The phone has worked and has not been changed for several years. The person on the number has checked their line and it works OK. They rang me yesterday from that number to my landline no problem. Just to be clear before I get another question they dialled from their normal landline phone and did not use an internet call in any way. ie They can dial me no problem but I can not do the reverse however I try, and whichever hand set I use to try it on. I have just dialled another US number and got through no problem. It is just the number that is in my personal information that does not work. And just for good measure I have found an old analogue phone and plugged this into the master socket instead of the more modern digital phone set I had been using and again it did not connect or work. PLEASE can you sort out.

0 Likes

Message 17 of 25

Hello,

A member of the team has come back to me to advise that they have done some test calls over our Network which have all worked ok. They have asked if the person you are trying to call has also checked with their provider just to rule out any issues on their side?

If this has already been done then they have requested 3 further tests calls at least 5 minutes apart and they can re-raise this.

Thanks

Message 18 of 25

Morning,

Thank you. I've passed this over to our team for investigation now and I will post back as soon as  receive an update back.

Thanks

0 Likes

_Steve_
Chatterbox
Message 19 of 25

Thankyou for your comment but I do realise that things need to be checked. I don't really want to keep posting about this problem but had to resort to joining this community in the hope that someone may be able to help as I had spent ages already trying to resolve!

The line in question has just phoned me no problem since my previous post. That line has received a call from the UK earlier this evening to check calls from UK can get through OK and it worked no problem. I have just redialled directly and by speed dial from my line, and there is no connection not even a ringing tone to the number that I want to phone.. It must be something to do with how the TT call is routed to that number in US as all other numbers seem to work OK first time both internationally to the US and other countries as well as the UK. Any suggestions as to how to fix this or what to try would be most welcome but telling me to be patient when this is taking ages to get resolved just means the tech people who can hopefully sort out the problem have more notes to read through.

0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Message 20 of 25

Online help always involves a certain amount of process of elimination, @_Steve_.

It is important to answer all staff questions about the test socket etc.

It will all help with getting to the root of the problem. 

If your upgraded service requires a visit from an engineer, it will be important to have checked everything you possibly can. 

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes