Home Phone

Get help with your TalkTalk landline and calling features.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues with "Last Caller Barring" Service

Xing2016
Chat Champion
Message 33 of 33

Dear TalkTalk Community

I'm writing on behalf of my mother, who's recently been experiencing issues when using the "Last Caller Barring" Feature on her "TalkTalk" Landline phone.  She keeps being told she's reached the maximum of 100 barred numbers.  

I've tried to resolve this issue for my mother by turning off the "Last Caller Barring" Feature through "My Account", waiting for a day or so and then turning this Feature back on via "My Account".  However, this doesn't appear to have resolved the issue.  

I understand from the Help Pages on the "TalkTalk Community" that, if you turn off the "Last Caller Barring" Feature in "My Account" and then turn it back on, you will lose all of the telephone numbers that were barred prior to turning the Feature off.  This should mean that, when one turns off the "Last Caller Barring" Feature and then turns it back on, and performs both of these steps via "My Account", there should be no previously-barred numbers stored on the system after turning the "Last Caller Barring" Feature back on.  However, this isn't the case with my mother's "TalkTalk" Landline phone, as she's still being told she's reached the maximum of 100 barred numbers when using the "Last Caller Barring" Service.  This is despite my having turned the feature off and back on again for her via "My Account" and waiting at least a day between turning the feature off and back on again.  

I also wish to report that, for at least the last fortnight, my mother's "TalkTalk" Landline phone hasn't been ringing correctly.  I've checked all of the settings on her phone and that hasn't resolved the issue, so I guess there must be a problem at the exchange.  If you have any idea of what can be done to restore the ringtone on my mother's "TalkTalk" Landline phone to the normal double-ring, that would be very much appreciated.  For your information, the exchange to which my mother's "TalkTalk" Landline phone is connected has the area code of "01325".  

Any advice regarding how to resolve the issues mentioned above would be most gratefully-appreciated, and thank you in advance for any assistance you can provide regarding these matters.  

Yours faithfully

Jonathan Wilkinson (Xing2016)

J R Wilkinson
0 Likes
32 REPLIES 32

Message 1 of 33

@Xing2016, this is really a separate issue from the phone etc.

Could you possibly start a new thread by clicking on start a topic, in the Billing section, which is here:

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Billing/bd-p/45?

Staff will reply later in the week.

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes

Message 2 of 33

Dear Chris

Further to my last email to you, dated 29 March 2021, I can confirm that the "Last Caller Barring" Facility on my mother's "TalkTalk" Landline Telephone Service is now working correctly.  I can also confirm that the phone now rings with the correct ring tone, ie the normal double-ring, having only rang with a single ring for all of March and April and until the middle of May, when the normal double-ring returned.  So it's good to see that this ongoing issue with my mother's "TalkTalk" Landline Telephone Service has also now been fully-resolved.  

I shall let you know if any further issues occur with any of the services provided to my mother from "TalkTalk", but am pleased to say that everything seems to be working fine now.  

The only remaining query is that, when my mother first signed up to the "Fibre 65" Service, she was put on a two-year contract whereby she'd only be paying £29.95 per month as the monthly Package Cost.  My mother and I both understood at the time that the monthly fee of £29.95 included a charge of £7.00 per month to call anywhere within the UK for free from the Landline.  Therefore, there would only be extra charges incurred for services not included in the "Fibre 65" Package, such as using the "TalkTalk" Voicemail Service or calling any international numbers.  However, it appears that my mother has still been charged an extra £7.00 per month on top of the original £29.95, giving a total package cost of £36.95 per month.  This is in spite of having been told that the £7.00 fee is part of the monthly Package Cost of £29.95 when signing up to the "Fibre 65" Service.  If you could look into what's happening here, that would be most appreciated.  

Thank you once again for all of your assistance so far, which is really appreciated.  

Best Regards

Jonathan Wilkinson (Xing2016)

J R Wilkinson
0 Likes

Message 3 of 33

No problem Jonathan, glad to help 🙂

Chris

0 Likes

Message 4 of 33

Hi Chris

Thank you very much for your email.  

Yes, it does seem like changes were made to the "Last Caller Barring" Service without anyone being informed, when it comes to staff and customers alike, and without any online instructions initially being updated to cater for what the instructions now say over the phone.  At least everyone finally knows where they stand with this.  

I guess that, if any future changes need to be made to any existing services and/or if any new services are added, staff and customers alike need to be forewarned so everyone knows what to expect and isn't caught off guard by any such changes taking place.  

Thank you once again for your help with resolving this matter in any case, which is very much appreciated.  

Best Regards

Jonathan   (Xing2016)

J R Wilkinson
0 Likes

Message 5 of 33

Yes, I'm sorry about that, I didn't know myself that this had changed at the time and thought the old instructions still applied.

Chris

0 Likes

Message 6 of 33

Hi Chris

I'm really pleased to learn you were glad to find out I'd successfully-deleted all the blocked numbers on the "Last Caller Barring" Service on my mother's "TalkTalk" Landline.  It's rather a pity, however, that what should be a really simple issue to resolve has taken so long to be put right and caused a lot of time to be taken up on my part when it could have been resolved straight away.  For example, it states on the "TalkTalk" Website that, if one switches off the "Last Caller Barring" Service, waits a day or so and then puts it back on, and carries out this whole process via "My Account", all blocked numbers will be deleted.  So it would now appear that this information is incorrect.  So if it had been mentioned right from the beginning that the issues with the "Last Caller Barring" Service had been caused by the way the Service now works having been changed and that any blocked numbers would have to be deleted manually as outlined in your last email, that would have made life a lot simpler and saved quite a bit of time from the point of view of all parties involved.  

Thank you once again for your assistance with this matter, which is very much appreciated.  

Best Regards

Jonathan (Xing2016)

J R Wilkinson
0 Likes

Message 7 of 33

Hi Jonathan,

Glad to hear that you've managed to delete the blocked numbers now and thanks for the feedback regarding the message, apologies for any inconvenience 

Chris

0 Likes

Message 8 of 33

Hi Chris

I can confirm that, having followed the instructions given in your latest email, the amount of blocked numbers on the "Last Caller Barring" Service for my mother's "TalkTalk" Landline has been reset to zero.  However, the recorded message didn't reflect this on following your instructions, in that it gave the impression I'd pressed the wrong keys, rather than confirming that I had, in fact, removed all of the blocked numbers.  It was only when I dialled 14258 a second time to access the "Last Caller Barring" Service that I received any confirmation that the amount of blocked numbers had been reset to zero.  

So although it would now appear that the issues regarding the "Last Caller Barring" Service on my mother's "TalkTalk" Landline have been resolved, it might be a good idea to change the recorded messages on the Service so they better reflect what a customer is doing, instead of telling the customer off all the time when they have, in fact followed the instructions in the recorded message to the letter.  I might be whistling in the wind with that request, but thought it would be worth asking about, even so.  

Thank you once again for your email, which is very much appreciated.  

Best Regards

Jonathan (Xing2016)

J R Wilkinson
0 Likes

Message 9 of 33

Hi Jonathan,

I'm sorry that the number still haven't been deleted. Could you try dialing 08* to remove all entries as per the new instructions, and let us know how you get on

Chris

0 Likes

Message 10 of 33

Hi Chris

Further to the email I sent earlier on today (Tuesday 23 March 2021), I can confirm that my mother and I received another telephone call from "TalkTalk" at around 1.45 pm this afternoon.  It was a different person this time, who didn't really offer any solutions at all.  I explained that the "Last Caller Barring" Service had been successfully reinstated, but that the amount of barred numbers hadn't been reset to zero.  The best the agent who called could offer was for me to erase each number individually from my mother's "Last Caller Barring" Service by calling the Service up to do this.  He also seemed totally unaware of the fact that the act of switching off the "Last Caller Barring" Service and putting it back on again a day or so later is supposed to clear the list of blocked numbers and reset it to zero, regardless of whether or not I switch the Service off and back or again of if someone from "TalkTalk" does it.  The whole point of me contacting "TalkTalk" about this matter was for them to come up with a solution, rather than suggest I spend possibly hours deleting each barred number individually.  

The agent my mother and I spoke to also mentioned about some work being done at the local exchange, some of which has already been carried out, but which they said will be completed sometime between the middle of April and early May.  However, I don't know how relevant or not this would be to resolving the issues I've already outlined regarding the "Last Caller Barring" Service on my mother's "TalkTalk" Landline.  The Agent mentioned above seemed to talk a lot, but not offer any solutions, so I came to the conclusion that his call was a complete and utter waste of time and that I might as well be banging my head against a brick wall regarding finding anyone out there who can offer a speedy solution to the "Last Caller Barring" Service issues is concerned.  The Agent concerned was clearly out of their depth and the matter should have been passed on to somebody more senior and experienced, who could have called my mother and me instead of the Agent I'm referring to here.  I don't know how senior Teal, the Agent my mother and I spoke to yesterday afternoon (Monday 22 March 2021) is compared to who we spoke with this afternoon, but he clearly was more aware of what the next steps should be than the person who called us today.  

Any suggestions of what can be done to progress things here would be most welcome.  

Best Regards

Jonathan (Xing2016)

J R Wilkinson
0 Likes

Message 11 of 33

Hi Chris

Further to my last email from yesterday afternoon (Monday 22 March 2021), I can confirm that the "Last Caller Barring" Service (or "Selective Caller Rejection" Service as it's now known), has successfully been reinstated on my mother's "TalkTalk" Landline.  However, when I tried the Service to check it had been reinstated, the system was still saying that the full quota of 100 blocked numbers has been reached.  This is in spite of the Service being switched off and on again at least twice, one by myself and once by someone called Teal from "TalkTalk", who called my mother and me last Wednesday afternoon (17 March 2021) and again yesterday afternoon to explain what he was doing from his end.  

So I guess it's a matter of how to clear the list of blocked numbers and reset it to zero, which still appears not to have happened yet.  

Best Regards

Jonathan (Xing2016)

J R Wilkinson
0 Likes

Message 12 of 33

Hi Chris

Further to my earlier email from today (Monday 22 March 2021), I'm writing to confirm that somebody called Teal from "TalkTalk" called my mother at around 3.30 pm this afternoon.  He spoke to both my mum and I and explained that there had been a delay in getting the "Last Caller Barring" Service removed from my mother's "TalkTalk" Landline, such that the Service could be reinstated.  This is despite a confirmation email being received by my mum on Wednesday 17 March 2021 to say it had been removed.  Teal also confirmed that he was finally able to reinstate the "Last Caller Barring" Service on my mum's "TalkTalk" Landline this afternoon, just after he called my mother and me, and an email came from "TalkTalk Customer Services" to confirm this.  Teal also said he'd call my mother sometime tomorrow (Tuesday 23 March 2021) to see if the "Last Caller Barring" Service is working again, and also explained the next steps that would need to be carried out if either the Service isn't working or if the amount of barred numbers hasn't been reset to zero.  

Hopefully, this will resolve matters, but we shall see.  

Thank you once again for your help so far with these matters, which is very much appreciated.  

Best Regards

Jonathan (Xing2016)

J R Wilkinson
0 Likes

Message 13 of 33

Hi Gliwmaeden2

Thank you very much for your email and also for informing me that the instructions for using the "Last Caller Barring" Service have now been updated to reflect the recent changes that have taken place in terms of how this Service works.  Thank you also for sending me a link for accessing these new instructions.  This is all very much appreciated.  

I'm waiting for an update from OCE_Chris regarding when the "Last Caller Barring" Service will be reinstated on my mother's "TalkTalk" Landline.  It was temporarily removed last Wednesday afternoon (17 March 2021), owing to there being issues with the amount of barred numbers not resetting to zero when removing the Service and then reinstating it.  Hope that the Service can be restored to full working order very soon.  At least we'll now know how it actually works once it's up and running again.  

Yes, it's rather a pity that the "Last Caller Barring" Service can't be put back to how it used to be, especially as it was changed without any "TalkTalk" customers either being notified of any such change or consulted about it beforehand.  I guess that, when it comes to "progress", it's something that's foisted upon us without our prior consent and/or consultation, which isn't good, but part of life's rich pattern these days, as they say.  It would be really nice to be able to challenge this so-called "progress", but I guess we'll all just have to keep hoping and dreaming as far as that's concerned.  

Thank you once again for your email, which is very much appreciated.  

Best Regards

Jonathan (Xing2016)

J R Wilkinson

Message 14 of 33

Hi Chris

Thank you very much for your email and for confirming that you'll chase things up with the Network Team as far as reinstating the "Last Caller Barring" Facility on my mother's "TalkTalk" Landline is concerned, as well as making sure that the amount of barred numbers has been reset to zero.  This is very much appreciated.  

I look forward to receiving any updates as soon as they become available.  

Best Regards

Jonathan (Xing2016)

J R Wilkinson
0 Likes

Message 15 of 33

@Xing2016, the instructions for Last Caller Barring have now been updated on the forum search engine:

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Using-Selective-call-rejection-Last-Caller-Barring/ta-p...

You will notice that the instructions now reflect the new terminology and actions for adding and removing numbers. 

I doubt very much whether there is any possibility of this being rolled back. @Chris-TalkTalk or @Michelle-TalkTalk can clarify this for you.

The old software wasn't "broke" but they chose to fix it.....! Lots of changes going on just now. "Progress" etc. Very annoying when we preferred the other version and it was easier to use!

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes

Message 16 of 33

Hi Jonathan,

Sorry it's taking so long to resolve, I'll chase it up with our network team and get back to you

Thanks

Chris

0 Likes

Message 17 of 33

Hi Chris and Michelle

Further to the emails I sent to each of you yesterday afternoon (Thursday 18 March 2021), I can confirm that I haven't, as yet, received any further updates from the "TalkTalk Network Team" regarding whether or not the "Last Caller Barring" Service has been reinstated on my mother's "TalkTalk" Landline and on whether or not the amount of barred numbers has been reset to zero.

Please, therefore, could you chase this up for me at your end and report any progress that has been made with this, as well as finding out how long it will take to fully-resolve these issues and get the "Last Caller Barring" Service working properly again, like it was prior to Monday 8 March 2021?  This is the date when my mum first noticed that the Service wasn't working quite as it should be.  

Thank you once again for your assistance so far with these matters, which is very much appreciated.  

Best Regards

Jonathan (Xing2016)

J R Wilkinson
0 Likes

Message 18 of 33

Hi Michelle

Thank you very much for your email.  I shall wait and see what happens within the next 24 hours and get back to you if my mother and I don't hear anything in the meantime.  

Best Regards

Jonathan (Xing2016)

J R Wilkinson
0 Likes

Message 19 of 33

Hi Chris

Further to the last email I sent you yesterday afternoon (Wednesday 17 March 2021), I just wanted to inform you that my mother received a telephone call at around 10.15 am this morning (Thursday 18 March 2021), from someone claiming to be calling from "BT Openreach".  The line was very crackly and the caller was difficult to make out, because of this and also due to them having a strong foreign accent.  So my mother hung up, thinking it was a hoax call.  

So I just wanted to check if "BT Openreach" would have any involvement as far as fixing the issues with the "Last Caller Barring" Service on my mum's "TalkTalk" Landline is concerned, or whether or not the call my mother received today was indeed a hoax call, as she and I both suspected.  

I would also like to find out if these issues will finally be fixed today as far as the "Last Caller Barring" Service on my mother's "TalkTalk" Landline not working property is concerned.  Based on what the person who called us about this on the afternoon of Tuesday 16 March 2021 told us, the situation would be fully-resolved by yesterday morning (Wednesday 17 March 2021), and was only being delayed in being resolved, due to the agent who spoke to my mum and me having trouble with reinstating the "Last Caller Barring" Service.  So any updates on how things are progressing with reinstating the Service and resetting the list of barred numbers back to zero would be most welcome.  

Also, would there be any benefit with my mother and I short-circuiting things here by telephoning the Network Team for "TalkTalk" ourselves and if so, what is the direct telephone number to enable us to get hold of this Team directly without having to speak to a number of underlings beforehand?  

Thank you once again for your assistance so far with these matters, which is very much appreciated.  

Best Regards

Jonathan (Xing2016)

J R Wilkinson
0 Likes

Message 20 of 33

Hi,

I'm sorry for the delay. If you don't hear back from our Network Team in the next 24hrs then please let us know and we can request an update for you.

Thanks

0 Likes