Home Phone

Get help with your TalkTalk landline and calling features.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues with "Last Caller Barring" Service

Xing2016
Chat Champion
Message 33 of 33

Dear TalkTalk Community

I'm writing on behalf of my mother, who's recently been experiencing issues when using the "Last Caller Barring" Feature on her "TalkTalk" Landline phone.  She keeps being told she's reached the maximum of 100 barred numbers.  

I've tried to resolve this issue for my mother by turning off the "Last Caller Barring" Feature through "My Account", waiting for a day or so and then turning this Feature back on via "My Account".  However, this doesn't appear to have resolved the issue.  

I understand from the Help Pages on the "TalkTalk Community" that, if you turn off the "Last Caller Barring" Feature in "My Account" and then turn it back on, you will lose all of the telephone numbers that were barred prior to turning the Feature off.  This should mean that, when one turns off the "Last Caller Barring" Feature and then turns it back on, and performs both of these steps via "My Account", there should be no previously-barred numbers stored on the system after turning the "Last Caller Barring" Feature back on.  However, this isn't the case with my mother's "TalkTalk" Landline phone, as she's still being told she's reached the maximum of 100 barred numbers when using the "Last Caller Barring" Service.  This is despite my having turned the feature off and back on again for her via "My Account" and waiting at least a day between turning the feature off and back on again.  

I also wish to report that, for at least the last fortnight, my mother's "TalkTalk" Landline phone hasn't been ringing correctly.  I've checked all of the settings on her phone and that hasn't resolved the issue, so I guess there must be a problem at the exchange.  If you have any idea of what can be done to restore the ringtone on my mother's "TalkTalk" Landline phone to the normal double-ring, that would be very much appreciated.  For your information, the exchange to which my mother's "TalkTalk" Landline phone is connected has the area code of "01325".  

Any advice regarding how to resolve the issues mentioned above would be most gratefully-appreciated, and thank you in advance for any assistance you can provide regarding these matters.  

Yours faithfully

Jonathan Wilkinson (Xing2016)

J R Wilkinson
0 Likes
32 REPLIES 32

Message 21 of 33

Hi Chris

Thank you very much for your email.  

This is just to let you know that my mother and I haven't received any further updates regarding the situation with the "Last Caller Barring" Service on her "TalkTalk" Landline since I was last in touch with you yesterday afternoon (Tuesday 16 March 2021).  We understood during the second telephone call we received from the agent we spoke to yesterday afternoon, that he was trying to reinstate the "Last Caller Barring" Service after initially removing it, but was having some trouble with reactivating it again.  The impression my mother and I had at the time was that the agent concerned would continue trying to reinstate the "Last Caller Barring" Service on my mum's "TalkTalk" Landline until he finished work late yesterday afternoon and, if he had no success with this, he'd keep trying again today (Wednesday 17 March 2021).  We also understood that the agent concerned would contact us again today to update my mother and me on how he's got on with reinstating the "Last Caller Barring" Service.  However, there has been no more news with this so far.  

So I was just wanting to check if my mother and I should still wait to hear from the agent concerned, or if the matter needs chasing further from your end.  

Thank you once again for your email, which is very much appreciated.  

Best Regards

Jonathan (Xing2016)

J R Wilkinson
0 Likes

Message 22 of 33

Thanks for the update Jonathan, hopefully our network team will be able to sort this out for you and your Mother

Chris

0 Likes

Message 23 of 33

Hi Chris

I can confirm I've also received your latest PM email, to which I've also replied.  

Thank you once again for your email, which is very much appreciated.  

Best Regards

Jonathan (Xing2016)

J R Wilkinson
0 Likes

Message 24 of 33

Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for answering the security questions, I've replied to your PM

Chris

0 Likes

Message 25 of 33

Hi Chris

I can also confirm that I've just received your PM, so will reply more fully from that message.  

Best Regards

Jonathan (Xing2016)

J R Wilkinson
0 Likes

Message 26 of 33

Hi Jonathan,

I've sent you a PM to confirm some details so that we can look into this further

Thanks

Chris

0 Likes

Message 27 of 33

Hi Chris

I can confirm that I removed the "Last Caller Barring" Service from my mother's "TalkTalk" Landline on the afternoon of Monday 8 March 2021 via the Online "My Account" Service and clicked on the "Update" Button when I did this.  On the afternoon of Tuesday 9 March 2021, I then turned the "Last Caller Barring" Service back on for my mum's "TalkTalk" Landline, via the online "My Account" Service and clicked on the "Update" Button when doing this as well.  To give this time to work, I waited until the afternoon of Wednesday 10 March 2021 to test of the "Last Caller Barring" Service was working correctly on my mother's "TalkTalk" Landline.  The issue of having reached the maximum of 100 barred numbers was still present, so none of the steps outlined above had resolved the issue.  

Therefore, my mother and I would be most grateful if somebody out there could let us know how this issue can be resolved once and for all, as my mum's very concerned that she can't use the "Last Caller Barring" Service in exactly the same way she could prior to the morning of Monday 8 March 2021, due to the service not appearing to work properly since then.  

Thank you in advance for your assistance with this matter, which would be most appreciated.  

Best Regards

Jonathan (Xing2016)

J R Wilkinson
0 Likes

Message 28 of 33

Hi Xing2016,

Removing last caller barring should clear the list, could I just ask when you removed the tick did you also click 'update' to confirm?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 29 of 33

Hi Gilwmaeden2

Thank you very much for your email and for letting me know that, so far, you haven't been able to locate any online instructions for the "Last Caller Barring" Service, which reflect how this Service now works.  Thank you also for confirming that you've contacted "TalkTalk" to make such instructions available, but to no avail.  I have to say that this is becoming rather a problem, as my mother's becoming very exasperated at not being able to use the "Last Caller Barring" Service like she could before, along with my failure in terms of not being able to put things right with this so far.  So, for my mother's sake and anyone else out there who uses the "Last Caller Barring" Service, we would all be most grateful if it could be reverted back to how it used to be, especially in the light of there being no warning about it being changed and there also being no instructions available online to reflect the changes.  

As I'm currently living with my mother to cater for being able to see her whilst the Covid-related restrictions are in place, I don't want to do anything with my own "TalkTalk" account until I return home again, and that includes doing anything that might interfere with the contract I already have with "TalkTalk", which in any case, isn't supposed to end until November 2023.  If I were to contact "TalkTalk" about the proposed increase in charges that's due this coming April, they may put me on to a new contract, which is something I wouldn't want anyway, and if I do have to go on to a new contract to avoid the price increase, I'd rather wait until I'm living back in my own house before I change the contract I'm currently on, even if this means having to swallow the price increase.  The point I was making in my last email was that, I was told in November 2019, when I started my current contract with "TalkTalk", that this contract would last for at least 4 years and that there would be no changes in price whatsoever during that time.  So it would seem to me that "TalkTalk" may have broken their side of that contract by introducing any price increases before November 2023, which is when my current contract with them is due to end.  I could make this point directly to "TalkTalk" via their online chat facility, but may, by doing this, be forced to change my contract with them before a time of my choosing, which is something I wish to avoid.  

Thank you also for giving me a link to the online chat service for "TalkTalk", as well as your advice regarding taking a screenshot of any online chats, in case I don't end up receiving an email from "TalkTalk" containing any transcripts of any online chats I end up having with them.  This is also very much appreciated.  

Thank you once again for your email, anyway, which is very much appreciated.  

Best Regards

Jonathan   (Xing2016)

J R Wilkinson
0 Likes

Message 30 of 33

@Xing2016, I've not managed to find any instructions for this latest version of Last Caller Barring anywhere online yet.

I have requested this several times now, and they are supposed to be getting on with making the online instructions reflect reality. 

That would be so helpful....

I don't know of any way to keep your fees unaffected by the changes that have been announced within your current contract.

I don't think you can change things without triggering a new contract end date. You would need to check that when you haggle. 

Do report back on here, as it will help other customers to know how you get on.

To keep a copy of Chat, take screenshots in case the transcript doesn't materialise. 

For the link to Chat, scroll down on this page:

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Our-update-on-Coronavirus/ta-p/2468300

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes

Message 31 of 33

Dear Gilwmaeden2

Thank you also for mentioning that there's been a software update that has caused people's landline ringtones to be different of late if they are a "TalkTalk" customer, and that work is being done to resolve this issue.  I had read something to this effect, but that no timescale has at yet been given for when this issue will be resolved.  Let's hope it won't be long before something is actually done to resolve this matter.  

Thank you also for mentioning that there's been a software update to the "Last Caller Barring" Service which "TalkTalk" didn't inform anybody about, and also for saying that this could be why the recorded messages that are part of this service are different.  As this now makes the online instructions for using the "Last Caller Barring" Service redundant, do you know if there's anywhere on the "TalkTalk" Website where an updated set of instructions for this feature can be found?  This will enable my mother and I to sue the Service property.  At the moment, my mother is being told she's blocked up to 100 numbers.  This is despite my having turned off the "Last Caller Barring" Service and putting it back on again, in the hope that doing this would reset the number of blocked numbers to zero.  I had also been given to understand in the past that the numbers that were blocked first would drop off and be replaced by more recently-blocked numbers once the maximum of 100 blocked numbers had been reached.   However, this also appears to no longer be the case, hence why I turned this feature off and back on again for my mother in the hope that this would reset things.  

I also wanted to mention that, with regards to my own "TalkTalk" Account, I received an email on Sunday 7 March 2021 to say that my monthly prices will be going up by 3.7% every year from Sunday 4 April 2021 onwards.  This is despite me being on a fixed contract which started in November 2019 and isn't due to end until November 2023.  When that contract started in November 2019, I was told that there would be no price increases at all until it ends in November 2023.  Sounds like I was fed a big, fat lie there, doesn't it?  If you know of any way of avoiding any price increases without changing my contract before it's due to be changed, that would be great.  

Thank you once again for your help with these matters, anyway, which is very much appreciated.  

Yours sincerely

Jonathan Wilkinson (Xing2016)

J R Wilkinson

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Message 32 of 33

The ringtone is a Talktalk software problem and they are supposed to be rolling out a fix eventually - nothing peculiar to your mother's line, so don't fiddle with anything there. Nothing wrong at her end, @Xing2016.

Last Caller Barring has been revamped with new software which entails different instructions, now with a woman's voice etc. The instructions for Last Caller Barring in the forum search engine don't currently match the instructions given by the new voice on the phone. 

I also had 100 numbers on there. I thought that the oldest was supposed to just drop off when I added a new one. However, the last time I tried to follow the instructions, I seem to have removed all 100 numbers. So I'm back down to one blocked number. 

I have reported the problems with this unannounced new version of Last Caller Barring to Talktalk staff already,  @Xing2016.

I've also mentioned to them the bewilderment this is causing. 

As far as I can tell they've purchased a whole batch of new software without checking the products properly first.

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes