Home Phone

Get help with your TalkTalk landline and calling features.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Landline dead

davecm
Whizz Kid
Message 17 of 17

REP-11107836 is the fault reference number.

Can an OCE please arrange for landline calls to be diverted to my mobile, urgently. Please PM me if you don't have my mobile number.

A few days ago an Openreach engineer spent an entire day fault-finding in the cabinet serving my line. During his test, my phone rang just once with what I believe was an engineer's testing ring tone, as opposed to the usual ringing sound. Since then there has been no dial tone and I can neither make nor receive calls. The engineer agreed this was the case when I went out to speak to him, and said it was quite likely he had caused the issue, but as I'm a TT customer he was not allowed to remedy it without a report from TT.

I went through all the usual test steps via online chat on day one, was later advised to call 0345 172 0088, which I did, repeating all the futile test steps. Today on enquiring again via chat, I was informed there was no record that I had called, and I should repeat the tests yet again, and should call again. Difficult when the line is only open during working hours.

If I don't receive an immediate response that the fault has been reported to Openreach, plus call diversion until it's fixed, my next call will be to VirginMedia, who offer FTTP at my address.

Windows, Android, Synology NAS
0 Likes
16 REPLIES 16

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Message 1 of 17

You will only be notified after it's resolved, @davecm.

It's for complete loss of a service. 

Boosts can be removed (which you would need to do through My Account) and the pro rata amount credited back on the next month's bill, as boosts have just a one month minimum contract.

It's not always possible to re-add the boost at a discounted price.

The per day compensation for loss of landline is set at an amount to cover other losses instead: you'll see that per day it amounts to far more than the equivalent proportion of your monthly fee.

It takes at least a month to be applied after resolution of the fault  - see the pink notice about delays in the link you were given above, which gives a full explanation of what automatic compensation is and how it works. 

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes

davecm
Whizz Kid
Message 2 of 17

Your auto-compensation process does not appear to be working as it should, as I have not received the confirmation texts or emails relating to this. Your online chat representative has confirmed that compensation should have started on 17th March.

Chat transcript attached.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 17

Hi davecm,

Thanks for the information. Regarding auto compensation, the following help article should help - About your auto compensation credit - TalkTalk Help & Support

Thanks

Chris

0 Likes

davecm
Whizz Kid
Message 4 of 17

Thanks for updating me.

I can possibly provide an update for you. It appears that a contractor damaged underground cables whilst pulling new fibre backbone through ducts for FTTP and IP telephony rollout. Fixing it is rumoured to require 300 metres of roadway to be excavated, with temporary traffic lights etc. I imagine that could take weeks, if correct.

If it does take weeks, do we get our payments for anytime calls refunded, as I have been unable to use landline since the fault first occurred?
I'm told by an Openreach engineer that broadband continues to work if only 1 of the twisted pair telephone wires is broken, as the signal can be carried by a single wire. That seems to apply to my case. Some others affected in the area have no phone or broadband at all, so I guess in a sense I'm fortunate that broadband is unaffected.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 17

Hi davecm,

This is still in hand with Openreach, looks as though further work is planned for today

Chris

0 Likes

davecm
Whizz Kid
Message 6 of 17

The answer is in the Burton Mail https://www.staffordshire-live.co.uk/news/local-news/hundreds-homes-without-phones-internet-6850521 Don't know if it was Virgin caused the issue. I do know that when Virgin first laid the fibre down York Rd by the park a year or two ago, they cut the electricity main, and Western Power were there for days fixing that break.

0 Likes

Message 7 of 17

Just for clarification, I've edited my previous post as it wasn't clear that some customers are being offered (and have) VoIP, but this depends on the area.

Chris

0 Likes

Message 8 of 17

Thanks for the offer but I don't think we are recruiting anyone at the moment for the trials

Chris

0 Likes

davecm
Whizz Kid
Message 9 of 17

I could volunteer to be a guinea pig, provided I could keep my landline number.

I used to be an IT support manager and testing coordinator.

0 Likes

Message 10 of 17

Hi davecm,

We are trialing VoIP and some customers have the service but we aren't currently offering the service to all customers

Chris

0 Likes

davecm
Whizz Kid
Message 11 of 17

Do Talktalk offer an IP telephony service that would enable me to keep my landline number? If we are all going to be forced down that route from 2025, and it was available now, it would be a workaround for the current fault.

0 Likes

Message 12 of 17

Hi Dave

Sorry for the delay.

Openreach have advised that this fault is part of a bigger fault and the engineers are working to fix this as quickly as possible.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Message 13 of 17

You usually get a notification email about a PM, so can click through from that, as long as you are signed into the community. 

It should also show as a number on a red background, top right, by your avatar, where you can click through and open from the envelope symbol. 

Staff won't be back on here before Monday now. 

Cable thefts do happen  - sometimes repeatedly here in Cambridgeshire.....!

0 Likes

Message 14 of 17

No PM received. I've now arranged call divert via call centre. Community UI has changed. Where do PM notifications appear?

Note that there appears to be a wider issue in my road. Several neighbours phones went dead at same time as mine. Some BT customers, next door but one dead. Next door, on Sky, is OK.
I had a 3 conversations with the engineers who have spent 1 whole day and 2 half days working in the street cabinet this week. On the first occasion, there were several people with the same issue waiting to speak to him.
The latest one told me there had been a cable theft. Sounds like typical Openreach fobbing off to me, as telephone cables are all either overhead or underground.

I suspect a more likely explanation is the current ongoing work to install fibre backbone cables in the ducts along my road, at many other locations in the town, and at the telephone exchange.
If you have the facility to check, you might want to see if there's a spike in landline fault reports in postcode DE11 area.

0 Likes

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 15 of 17

Hi davecm

The line test is detecting a potential issue so I will raise this over to Openreach.

I'm also sending you a Private Message to confirm some details so we can set up a temporary call divert.

Thanks

0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Message 16 of 17

03451 720088 is open till 7pm on weekdays  or try Chat, open till 9pm.

Forum staff are not back on here before the morning, @davecm.

Whoever you spoke to when you phoned before should have set up Call Divert immediately. 

They should have a record of the correct mobile phone number in your My Account details. 

You can also add it in the Private Notes section of your community forum profile. 

Go via your avatar/name; settings; from the drop down menu that starts with "email" choose Personal Information. Private Notes is at the end of that section. SAVE CHANGES. 

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Ways-of-contacting-us/ta-p/2230529

0 Likes