Home Phone

Get help with your TalkTalk landline and calling features.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Landline no dialtone, BB OK but slow.

jayesjay
Whizz Kid
Message 13 of 13

Today, 12:30 BST, I found my TT landline had no dialtone (on lifting phone).

I have two landlines (TT & BT) so I was able to do a thorough substitution test.

My TT line normally uses a cordless phone base, and I also have a corded phone. So each phone set (TT Cordless, BT C/L,  corded) was tried in both Master sockets.

All worked OK in the BT Master socket.

There is no dial tone in any phone set plugged into the TT master socket test socket (via microfilter).

What is puzzling is that the TT BB is working, so the street dropcable line is there into the master socket. (Both landlines, TT and BT, use the same dropcable).

I understand that while the dropcable is connected to terminals in the master box, there are no further "loose" wires  between those terminals and the output socket, and test socke. I cannot believe that there has been a sudden fatal disconnection in the printed circuit signal paths - it would have to be in the path from the drop cable to the test socket, and there is no signal split in this part of the system.

0 Likes
12 REPLIES 12

Message 1 of 13

No problem, just let us know if you experience any further issues

Chris

0 Likes

jayesjay
Whizz Kid
Message 2 of 13

I don't think I have said thanks, so here are my thanks for all those who tried, and did  help with the solution.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 13

Hi,

Yes, HR is a high resistance fault.

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

0 Likes

Message 4 of 13

Hooray!

I've just tested speed with thinkbroadband, and it has increased to 33.1 Mb/s bursting to 33.8, uplink to 7.3 Mb/s bursting to 7.8 .

This downlink speed is only a couple of Mb/s less than the maximum reached previously.

BTW, the OR engineer described the fault as an HR. He only mumbled an explanation, so I assume it meant High Resistance- which talliesw with a poor connection 

0 Likes

jayesjay
Whizz Kid
Message 5 of 13

Thank, Karl.

The BB speed , according to thinkbroadband is about 30Mb/s, as it was when I last measured the speed before the fault occurred. This speed was there immediately on plugging in after the repair. Of course, there is the happy possibility that it will improve further, if the fault was present, maybe in less severe form, for some months.

As a matter of interest, do you know how the Openreach engineer would have located the fault distance. Is it by Time Domain Reflectivity (TDR), ie timing a pulse reflected from the fault?

0 Likes

Message 6 of 13

Hi,

Glad to hear the engineer has founed and rectified the problem.

The system may be a little slower than usual as the automated system will have lowered the profile to try to increase stability as a result of the issue, but now this has been rectified the system will slowly start to increase the profile over the next few days.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

jayesjay
Whizz Kid
Message 7 of 13

I'm pleased to tell you that the OpenReach engineer has called and fixed the problem. It turns out that there was a simple electrical fault at the top of the nearest pole.  One of the wires in the junction box there was making a poor connection. (btw, the nearest pole is over 60 m away, and the cable runs through at least one tree - not good in a gale).

Having fixed that,  both phone and BB services came back on immediately; however, BB is still only 31Mb/s, while in the same cables, BT gives me over 50Mb/s. 

I have to praise the engineer who climbed the pole in a near gale down here on the south coast; he told me that at least, he had been partly sheltered by trees - a colleague was working at the top of a pole on the sea-front - not nice. 

The engineer replaced my (not very) old NTE5A +VDSL2 master socket with the new NTE5C +VDSL Mk4 socket.  It appears to have an interesting method of connecting to the extension phone wiring. It looks as if the Test (socket) plug on the VDSL front plate is cross connected to feed the extension phone line  terminals by returning the connections to the phone sockets on the NTE plate. Neat!

0 Likes

Message 8 of 13

Hi

OK, please do let us know the outcome after the engineer visit.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

jayesjay
Whizz Kid
Message 9 of 13

Thanks, all.

OK, Engineer attendance confirmed with Openreach.

We'll wait and see what eventuates!

0 Likes

Message 10 of 13

Hi

If a different phone handset has been tested with nothing else connected directly at the master socket and there is no dial tone, then the only option is to let the engineer attend tomorrow. 

Thanks  

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

jayesjay
Whizz Kid
Message 11 of 13

Repeating your question, to reply to exactly that,:

"Is there still no dial tone with just the corded phone at the test socket with all other equipment, including the router removed from the line?"

Result: No dial tone. Tested only for a few seconds, then original configuration re-established. Was that test too short?

The only wiring to the incoming drop cable is (via a junction box) the master socket with no house internal wired connections - only the master socket front phone socket.

There has been no change to the wiring up to the master socket for years, and no evidence of any damage to any cables.

Incidentally, when I picked up the phone to try it for the first time today, I did hear the dialling tone for a fraction of a second.

An engineer is booked to attend tomorrow, Friday, but  if the fault could be isolated and remedied before that, he might not be needed.

It is altogether a puzzle. I am a retired electrical engineer with some elementary knowledge of archaic phone systems, so I do have some understanding of the system arrangement.

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 12 of 13

Hello,

I'm sorry for the delay. The broadband line test is detecting a possible fault. Is there still no dial tone with just the corded phone at the test socket with all other equipment, including the router removed from the line?

Thanks

0 Likes