Home Phone

Get help with your TalkTalk landline and calling features.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Landline not working but broadband is

Alison25
Popular Poster
Message 20 of 20

My landline went down on 23rd December - broadband is working.  I've had numerous chats online with the technical guys and they have said the problem relates to an exchange fault and that engineers are working on it but I still haven't got use of the phone 30 days later.  When I tested my number it went through to someone who said they had just moved house and were waiting to be connected by BT.  Can anyone suggest what I do next?

0 Likes
19 REPLIES 19

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 1 of 20

Hi Alison,

I'm sorry for the delay. Thanks for the update and I'm glad to hear that the fault has been resolved 🙂

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 2 of 20

Hi Chris. The engineer phoned me on Friday.  He knew what the fault was straight away and after he had visited the exchange later in the afternoon the problem was fixed - at last I have a working landline. Many thanks. Alison

Message 3 of 20

Hi Alison,

I've booked the earliest appointment available - February 05 2021, PM (1pm-6pm) - please let us know how you get on 

Chris

0 Likes

Message 4 of 20

Hi Chris.  Any day is okay, but preferably an afternoon slot. Thanks. Alison

0 Likes

Message 5 of 20

Hi Alison25,

Could you give a couple of dates and time slots when you can be available for the engineer visit and we'll book it for you

Chris

0 Likes

Message 6 of 20

Morning Chris.  Please go ahead and book an engineer.  Many thanks. Alison

0 Likes

Message 7 of 20

Hi CBeaze1,

If you need assistance can you please start your own thread and we'll be happy to help

Chris

0 Likes

Message 8 of 20

Hi Alison25,

Please see the Engineers charges help article, it explains when you will and wont be charged. If you have a crossed line then you won't be charged as this is a fault on BT maintained equipment, but we would need you to confirm that you accept potential engineer charges before we can book the visit 

Thanks

Chris

0 Likes

Message 9 of 20

I wouldn't mind an engineer coming out but since I have been told that I would be liable for charges (I haven't been told it would be free) I dont feel I can agree to it. Since I have been without a phone line since 23rd December despite numerous 'chats' and a phone call I feel it should be free and I should be compensated as well.  I am really NOT impressed with the customer service and I'm considering changing supplier when my contract is up.

0 Likes

Message 10 of 20

I have exactly the same problem and have been told by talktalk via a text msg (copied and pasted below):

TalkTalk update: We found a problem between the exchange and your home, and booked an Openreach engineer to fix the fault within the next 2-3 working days. There is no charge to you and you do not need to be at home. We'll update you when it's resolved.

The above text was sent on 20th January. I contacted talktalk by phone (twice)and was told exactly the same. The operative was unable to tell me what the fault situation was and it seems that talktalk do not communicate with Openreach and 2-3 working days seems to be using another method of measuring time (seeing it's 28th January).

0 Likes

Alison25
Popular Poster
Message 11 of 20

Chris.  I've been told it's a problem at the exchange not at my house so I do not want to incur costs with an engineer coming out.  If you dial my home phone number it does ring and goes through to someone else.  I even got charged for his phone calls so it does point to an exchange problem.  Can this be sorted out ASAP please. 

0 Likes

Message 12 of 20

OK thanks. To investigate further we'll need to arrange an engineer visit. If you'd like us to arrange an engineer visit can you confirm:

• That you accept potential Engineers charges
  • Provide availability, either AM (8am to 1pm) or PM (1pm to 6pm) between Monday to Friday.

I've also sent you a PM to confirm some other details

Thanks

Chris

0 Likes

Alison25
Popular Poster
Message 13 of 20

Hi Chris.  Still do not have a working phone line.  No dial tone - completely dead.

0 Likes

Message 14 of 20

Hi Alison25,

How are you getting on, is landline still not working? Is there a dial tone?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 15 of 20

Sorry, meant to add that it was over a week ago that 'chat' said it was an exchange problem.  

0 Likes

Message 16 of 20

Hi Debbie.  Still cannot make or receive calls - li w is completely dead a d has been since 23rd December.  Broadband is working.  I have tried phoning my number and it connects to someone who has just moved house.  I have been told o  'chat' that there is a problem at the exchange and engineers are working on it....

0 Likes

Message 17 of 20

Hi Alison25

I'm really sorry for the delay.

The line tests are not detecting any faults - Line test is clear.

Are you still experiencing this fault?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 18 of 20

I haven't had an engineer out. It's what the tech guys have told me on the online chat.  Its infuriating that you can't actually speak to anyone and the replies you get on chat look to be standard replies.  

0 Likes

ssjcox
First Timer
Message 19 of 20

I have this issue too but I can’t seem to talk to anyone about it to even get an engineer out.

I can only phone them run through the tests and they say it’s ok?

how did you get an engineer ? 

0 Likes