Home Phone

Get help with your TalkTalk landline and calling features.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Master Socket move

ShaneDefLep
Participant
Message 16 of 16

Hi

We're getting french doors installed in our living room, we will be removing the window and radiator below to accommodate the fit.
Unfortunately, the master socket is situated right next to the window prompting an engineer call out to move it, we will also likely need more slack on the line coming into the property.
We are wanting it moved under a metre to the right of where it is now, see attached, as the wall where it is situated will be removed.

I've had numerous live chats with talktalk and it is just going round in circles and I fear I am being unfairly charged due to talktalk not providing these engineers with the correct information.

We are at the point where a 'brightsparks' engineer had been called, then openreach at a later date, both commented that they could not do the work.
The openreach engineer summarised that the job was labelled a 'repair' and couldn't do anything above a 'repair' job without being paid upfront.
I was on live chat today and explained this and a 'brightsparks' engineer has been booked again for the 20th Oct 2021, I expressed my concern but was glazed over with a 'It will work, you are welcome 🙂 Thank you for chatting with us today. Enjoy the rest of the dayand take care. Bye!'

I fear this engineer will again, not be able to move the socket.

Has anyone experienced a similar situation or have any advice as the correct procedure to get things moving?

I will update with the outcome of the 20th Oct visit.

Thanks

Shaun

0 Likes
15 REPLIES 15

Message 1 of 16

OK thanks. I've escalated this to the relevant team, they will contact you to make arrangement for the engineer visit

Chris

0 Likes

Message 2 of 16

Hi Chris

Mobile is best.

Thanks

Shaun

0 Likes

Message 3 of 16

Hi Shaun,

Thanks for the information, could I just ask what's the best number to contact you on, your landline or mobile?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 4 of 16

Hi Chris

I accept the charges.
I work from home Wednesday and Fridays so free anytime these days. 

If I get notice on a visit I can be flexible for any other day if needed. No preference on AM or PM.

Here are the exceptions - the following days/times are not available for me;
Friday 29th October PM

Wednesday 24th November PM

Thanks

Shaun

0 Likes

Message 5 of 16

If you'd like us to arrange an engineer visit can you confirm:

• That you accept Engineers charges (£128.40)

• Provide availability, either AM (8am to 1pm) or PM (1pm to 6pm) between Monday to Friday. (please note that Openreach don't view LVR's as a priority so the lead times tend to be longer than for repairs, so you may not get the date requested 

I've also sent you a PM to confirm some other details

Chris

0 Likes

Message 6 of 16

Hi Chris

Thanks - that would be great to rearrange.

Thanks

Shaun

0 Likes

Message 7 of 16

Hi Shaun,

Thanks for the information, sorry to hear that the engineer couldn't complete the work. We can rearrange the engineer visit, if you'd like us to do this please let us know and we'll confirm some details

Chris

0 Likes

Message 8 of 16

Thanks Chris

Qube visit this morning as anticipated - only logged as a 'service', only 30mins for his appointment and he couldn't touch the drop wire so no work done.

I've attached pictures of the property for context.

• 1. Shows entry of cables - bottom left is TV and top right next to window sill is master socket into property.
  • 2. Overview of where the drop wire is. We are knocking out the wall so would prefer the master socket and cable to be moved in line with the TV entry point. Just moved to the left at the same height.
  • 3. Closer viewpoint
  • 4. Drop wire attachment at the top.
  • 5. Master socket internally.

If you need more information - please get back to me.

Thanks

Shaun

Message 9 of 16

Hi Shaun,

It would probably best to see what BrightSparks says, if they can't do it then we can arrange an LVR with Openreach

Chris

Message 10 of 16

Hi Michelle

Thanks - I think Gondola has given a clear summary of what is needed.

The additional problem is I've had two engineers out already saying they can't do the work.
We've already had a Qube engineer out and he wasn't able to do the work due to the movement of the drop wire outside the property.
The second visit, Openreach engineer visited saying he couldn't do it because it was logged as a repair job not work over and above a repair.

Gondola suggests this should have been booked as LVR which seems logical and correct.

They will have logged reports detailing what is needed?
The first Qube engineer definitely said he would detail it in his report with photos of outside the property showing the drop wire.

I just need someone to move the socket, put some slack on the drop wire to accommodate the move, I honestly don't care how much it will cost, I just don't want to be needlessly charged for 'failed' visits.

Thanks

Shaun

Message 11 of 16

Morning,

I'm sorry for the delay. Just to advise a Bright Sparks Engineer can usually complete this work, however if the engineer determines that they are unable to complete the work then a Openreach engineer will be arranged,

Thanks

Message 12 of 16

Hi ShaneDefLep 

Some of TalkTalk engineers from the Qube group do have delegated authority from Openreach to carry out work on the internal Openreach Master Socket. 

However, those engineers are not approved for overhead lines work or work involving making a new entry point into the home for the dropwire. From what you describe I deduce that external work must be carried out by an Openreach lines engineer. 

The reason for requesting an LVR is that such work is not covered by the normal repair agreement so it takes longer to arrange and fit into the Openreach schedule. 

Unless the work required is different from what I believe, I suggest you hang on for the TalkTalk Support team here from Monday onwards to arrange the work with Openreach. 

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Mark as solved + Accept as Solution

Message 13 of 16

Hi Gondola

I have been on live chat and even given them all that detail, they have suggested the brightsparks engineer will do the work.

I am sceptical but will see what happens on the day of the appointment (20th) and reply if any success.

'Thank you so much for your kind patience, Upon my investigation I can confirm that there is no need for a Open reach engineer as they do not deal with moving of master sockets however the Brightspark engineer will be able to assist you with moving your master socket'

Thanks

Shaun

0 Likes

ShaneDefLep
Participant
Message 14 of 16

Thanks Gondola

I will get in contact with them and rearrange.

Gondola
Community Star
Message 15 of 16

Hi ShaneDefLep 

The relocation of a BT Openreach master socket involving work on the external drop wire must be arranged by TalkTalk with Openreach as an LVR (Low Volume Request) costing £128.40. 

Engineer Charges

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Mark as solved + Accept as Solution