Home Phone

Get help with your TalkTalk landline and calling features.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Message - Check phone line

SALawrence
First Timer
Message 6 of 6

On Monday 13.09.21, my wife was unable to make a regular [daily] international call.  The call would not connect.  The same problem was encountered on Tuesday.

Today, Wednesday 15.09.21, I have changed the home phone from a 10 year old BT twin handset cordless, to a new Panasonic twin handset cordless, this was a planned change and coincidental to the current technical problem.  The new phone has a more informative display and after setting up both base units and plugging the cables in [I have rechecked all the plugs twice already], besides telling me that each handset is charging, both handsets are displaying a message "Check Phone Line".

I have run a TalkTalk automated line test and it tells me that my broadband is fine, I am certainly connected as I type this.  Both new telephone handsets have sufficient charge to operate but zero dial tone. 

I would be grateful for suggestions as to what to check next.

Simon
0 Likes
5 REPLIES 5

Message 1 of 6

Morning,

I'm glad to hear this and thanks for the update 🙂

Thanks

0 Likes

SALawrence
First Timer
Message 2 of 6

Received call from Openreach engineer at lunchtime yesterday (Thursday).  Wire(s) reconnected at exchange.  Line now live (obviously because he was calling me!).  Problem resolved  🙂.  Thank you.

Simon

Message 3 of 6

Hi SALawrence,

I've raised this to BT Openreach as a non-appointed task. Openreach will investigate over the next 72 hours and may contact you directly if they need to access your home. If you don't hear anything by Monday please bump the thread and we'll check for updates

Chris

SALawrence
First Timer
Message 4 of 6

Good morning,

I am advised that there was no dial tone at the beginning of this week so yes, that was with the old phone connected. The old phone was used almost exclusively in speakerphone mode [batteries not holding charge so had to be on base unit for calls of more than a minute or two].  The last international call that was connected was made sometime last weekend.

Many thanks for your prompt investigation.

Simon
0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 5 of 6

Morning,

I've run a test on the line now which has detected a potential fault. Can I just confirm, was there also no dial tone with the original phone connected too? As soon as we have confirmed this then we can pass this over to Openreach for further investigation.

Thanks

0 Likes