Did you mean: 
Need help?

No Dial Tone/No line

ANSWERED
17 REPLIES 17
fireball
Conversation Starter

Hi

I have two landline phones, and both have no dial tone this morning.  They show line fault on the display.  My internet seems to be okay.  I have tried the online chat facility, but it comes up as unavailable.  Can you help please?

Thanks

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @fireball 

If the Internet connection to the router is good then that means the line is connected to the TalkTalk equipment in the exchange.

There could be a fault at the exchange on the voice side. But you'd be advised to check for a connection issue on the 'phone side in your home. A faulty microfilter or filtered faceplate at the master socket would cause this issue.

Check microfilters by substitution and remove the master socket faceplate to plug in a 'phone to the line's test socket. Your guide to master sockets 

If the 'phone works in the master socket test socket then the issue is in your home. If there's still no dial tone it's outside and will need an Openreach fault to be raised.

TalkTalk support options are here: Contact us.  Try LiveChat or Messenger on the MyTalkTalk mobile app (8am to 10pm). Text messages only to the LiveChat agents can be sent to 07403 941724.

For calls to Customer Service agents from a mobile, call 0203 441 5550. (8am to 8pm) When calling TalkTalk the automated phone service will ask for a mobile number if you'd like to continue your call via text message. You'll get a text and you reply with your question and the support team will answer.

For a follow up by the TalkTalk Community team on Monday please check your Community Profile Personal Information (Click here) includes your name, current TalkTalk landline 'phone number and an alternate number (mobile recommended) and address with postcode (location). Add, then scroll down and save changes. The TalkTalk Community Team OCE will then be able to link to your TalkTalk service account.

Gondola - Volunteer 2017-2021

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

fireball
Conversation Starter

Hi

Thanks for that info.  It seems I have a pre filtered socket, with the phone plugged into the lower connection, and the router into the upper one.  It is an Openreach model.  I have taken the front off, and plugged the phone into the test socket, and it works, although the upstairs extension doesn't, and neither does the internet when I do this, presumably due to that taking the router offline.

Does that mean the fault is with this faceplate, or something else do you think?

Thanks

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @fireball 

With the 'phone plugged directly into the Test socket, if there's dial tone and you can make and receive calls, including having the 'phone ring on an incoming call, that means there's no obvious external fault.

The fault is either a faceplate fault or a wiring fault.

NB. Removing the master socket faceplate will disconnect all extensions and the router connection.

First thing is to go round the house and remove all devices from all extension sockets to make sure it's not an issue with any existing plugged in device. If you find the cat has knocked a 'phone off the cradle that could be the simple cause of no dial tone. Not much you can do quickly about hard-wired devices like an alarm system, if you have one. Remove the 'phone from the test socket now you've proved the line is working.

Then carefully inspect the wiring on the back of the master socket faceplate just to make sure it looks intact. Usually just white and blue (or white/blue and blue/white) wires go to connectors 2 and 5 but in older wiring there may also be an orange wire to connector 3.

Refit the faceplate, reconnect the 'phone to the faceplate socket and see if it's working still.

fireball
Conversation Starter

Thanks again.

I've tried your suggestions, but no luck.  I'm guessing that means the faceplate has developed a fault to cause this, and will need replacing.  Is that about right?

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @fireball 

The 'phone connected directly to the external line via the Test socket and working normally for incoming and outgoing calls indicates a fault on your side of the Openreach demarcation point.

The diagnosis is a connection or filter issue with the faceplate or short-circuit wiring anywhere to the 'phone extension socket(s).

TalkTalk will offer an engineer home visit so have a look at Your TalkTalk engineer appointment or you may find local telephone engineers are available to help with in-home telephone sockets and wiring.

If you're good with DIY then replacement pre-filtered faceplates can be bought and customers are permitted to replace these. There's usually a tool provided to rewire the extension wiring to connections 2 and 5 as previously described.

fireball
Conversation Starter

Thanks very much for your help.

I'm from the Frank Spencer school of DIY, so will look at getting someone round who knows what they're doing!!

Thanks again.

Gondola
Community Star
Solution

Hi fireball 

The workaround whilst waiting for a full investigation is to remove the Master Socket faceplate, connect a microfilter that was supplied with the TalkTalk router to the Test Socket and then connect a 'phone and the router to the microfilter.

That will get you back in action with your broadband connection and a single 'phone.

Then there's not so much urgency.

Just to double check on the line performance, with the workaround in place, you can then also run a Service Status check from your MyAccount to see that there's no other underlying issues in play. 

I'll also alert the TalkTalk Community team to come here and look at the status on Monday.

fireball
Conversation Starter

Thanks once again.  I'll try that, I'm sure I've got a microfilter somewhere still.  I've been in touch with talktalk via text reporting, and they have confirmed the line is okay, so it seems your diagnosis is spot on.  I'm awaiting further texts as to what to do next.

fireball
Conversation Starter
Found one, and it works as you described. That certainly allows us to make do until we can get it fixed properly. Your help and knowledge has been a great help, and is much appreciated.
Gondola
Community Star

You're entirely welcome.

Community is all about customers offering help to other customers.

Reward yourself with a nice relaxing brew.  Keep in touch to let us know the final outcome.

fireball
Conversation Starter

Hi Gondola

I spent the afternoon answering the messaging service, who eventually got me to ring a hotline.  After half hour with them, they pretty much came to the same conclusion as you!!  The upshot is, an engineer is booked to come round Tuesday afternoon.  I'll let you know the result.

Thanks again.

Gondola
Community Star

Hi fireball 

That's great. That's pretty prompt. I'm sure a TalkTalk appointed Qube engineer will be able to resolve the issue for you in probably 30 - 60 minutes done and dusted!  You've done all the hard work of troubleshooting.

Enjoy your evening.

OCE_Arne
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi fireball

Let us know how the engineer visit goes. 

Thanks

fireball
Conversation Starter

Yes, will do.  I've had a confirmation text that he is coming this afternoon..

fireball
Conversation Starter
Hi

Engineer arrived spot on time, and was a lovely chap. He checked all of my system, and found the fault to be the VDSL Plate (is that the same as the faceplate?) He also helped me by removing some connections that were out of date now, which simplifies the workings, such as the 2nd phone connected via an old surge protector, and an old cable from the phone fittings to the Sky box, which he says is no longer used.

A final test after the work showed perfect results, so I am delighted.

Thanks to Gondola for his advice, and for those who ensured an engineer was able to come out so quickly.

I forgot to get the engineers name, but if you can find that out Arne, I'd appreciate it if you could pass on my thanks to the company.
OCE_Arne
Community Team - TT Staff

Thanks for the update @fireball. I will pass on your best wishes when we get the engineer report. 

Gondola
Community Star

Hi fireball 

Thanks for the thanks. It's always a pleasure to offer help to Community.

Now it's definitely time to reward yourself with a nice relaxing brew. Or a stronger brew!