Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

No incoming calls

13 REPLIES 13
tjwizard
Popular Poster

Broadband working fine, outgoing calls no problem, but incoming calls simply cut out within a few seconds, with no audible ring tone. Any ideas? 

OCE_Arne
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi  @tjwizard

I will run some tests and get back to you. 

Regards

OCE_Arne

Hi @tjwizard

Line tests are picking up a Loop fault, This could be caused by internal wiring, in order to rule this out we need you to connect your phone direct to the Test Socket (behind the faceplate) and test again.

If there are still no incoming calls we can pass this to Openreach.

tjwizard
Popular Poster

OK, it works properly when I connect the phone to the test socket, but the problems recur when I reconnect it to the front panel. What happens now? No new appliances have been added and the wiring configuration hasn't been altered in any way. 

OCE_Arne

Hi tjwizard

That means the faceplate is at fault.  This is classed as internal wiring and if we sent an engineer you would be charged for the engineer visit (£65) however you can purchase replacement the faceplates from any hardware store and fit it yourself for a fraction of the cost

Do you have any other sockets is the house that are hardwired to the master socket ?, With the faceplate removed they wont work but If there are no others you can stay connected to the test socket.

Hope that helps

tjwizard
Popular Poster

Many thanks - I've just bought a new faceplate on-line and will see what happens.

OCE_Arne
tjwizard
Popular Poster

OK, I fixed the new faceplate, and wired it in correctly, but nothing has changed! Outgoing calls and Internet working fine, but no incoming calls.

ferguson
Community Star

"Wired it in correctly," what do you mean exactly? To an extension socket/s? If so, that is where your problem is.

tjwizard
Popular Poster

I mean that I had connected the blue and white wires to the correct terminals on the faceplate, exactly as before - there is no extension socket.

ferguson
Community Star

Well then that could be the problem. If you have no extension sockets then there is no need to connect those wires. They are presumably a remnant from old extension wiring which will be causing interference. Just disconnect them and loop them carefully out of the way, see what happens. 

tjwizard
Popular Poster

OK, that worked - I think I assumed those wires were the ones coming in from the outside, not those connecting a redundant extension socket. Many thanks!  

ferguson
Community Star

No worries. The ones coming in from outside are wired to the back of the master socket and you should leave them well alone, that is where the Openreach network connects to your property.

OCE_Arne