Home Phone

Get help with your TalkTalk landline and calling features.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No landline

Charles Law
Popular Poster
Message 13 of 13

Hello - My landline has been dead for 5 days.  This is the second time in 6 weeks.  I have reported the fault but you keep testing my broadband.  That's not the problem.  It's the landline.  Please help.  You can call me on XXXX REMOVED FOR SECURITY REASONS. 

Thanks, Charles Law

Charles Law
0 Likes
12 REPLIES 12

Message 1 of 13

Hi Charles Law,

I've sent you a PM to confirm some details. Regarding the engineer charges, when you would and wouldn't be charged is explained here -  Engineers charges

Thanks

Chris

0 Likes

Message 2 of 13

We approve the potential charges although the fault is yours not ours.  Please confirm that if the fault is yours there will be no charges.

Charles Law
0 Likes

Charles Law
Popular Poster
Message 3 of 13

I have tried a different handset in the sockets and the line is dead on every extension in the house.   Please help us.  We are paying for a service that does not work.   Please arrange for this to be rectified ASAP.

Charles Law
0 Likes

Message 4 of 13

Hi Charles

We provide online support on the Community so we will be unable to call you.

I can arrange the engineer visit for you. Please can you confirm potential engineer charges Engineer charges

I'm just sending you a Private Message to confirm some details so we can arrange this visit.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Message 5 of 13

Unless you try with a different handset, @Charles Law, staff can't rule out the possibility that the fault lies with the current one. 

If an engineer arrives and finds that to be the case, you will face a charge for the visit.

Staff try to protect you from incurring fees unnecessarily. 

They will not phone, as this form of support is on the online forum only, via this thread.

You also have the possibility of using Chat and phoning Talktalk for support from your mobile. Details given earlier in this thread. 

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes

Charles Law
Popular Poster
Message 6 of 13

Debbie or someone, please help.  Why am I paying for something I don't have??  This is now day 6 without a landline which we use for work and family reasons.  Would someone please call me.  You have my mobile number.  Please communicate!

Charles Law
0 Likes

Message 7 of 13

Hello,

Thanks for trying this. Can I just confirm if you've also tested with a different handset to rule this out as the next step will be to arrange an engineer visit to the property?

Thanks

0 Likes

Charles Law
Popular Poster
Message 8 of 13

Hi Debbie.  The face-plate was replaced by the BT Openreach engineer in September when the line went dead last time.  Last night I took it off and plugged the phone direct into the socket.  I called the number from my mobile and got the "unobtainable" tone.  The line is still dead. Assuming the fault is outside the house BT Openreach should be contacted to work on it.  Will Talk Talk do that please?  No landline for 5 days.  Thank you.

Charles Law
0 Likes

Message 9 of 13

Hi Charles

If the dial tone returns when connected at the test socket then this would indicate a faulty faceplate.

Openreach only maintain the line up to the test socket.

Thanks

0 Likes

Charles Law
Popular Poster
Message 10 of 13

I haven't tried that but did this when the fault occurred before.  I plugged the phone into the wall socket direct rather that via the faceplate and got a connection.  So it was arranged that a BT Openreach engineer would come out.  The fault corrected itself so when the BT engineer came out there was no fault to correct but he replaced the face-plate.  Now it's gone wrong again.  An engineer working over the road has tole me it may be a fault at the exchange.  Talk Talk would need to "release the line" so BT can work on it.  Failing that can we have a BT engineer call out please asap?  Thank you, Charles Law 

correct really 

Charles Law
0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Message 11 of 13

@Charles Law, I explained in this thread that customers must NEVER post contact details on the public forum pages!

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Home-Phone/Landline-is-dead/m-p/2811385

On there, staff replied.

All contact here is through the forum. 

You may prefer to try Chat as an alternative or ring Talktalk directly from your mobile:

03451 720088 or 03451 720046

Please follow up to let us know on here and to reply to staff when they try to offer help.

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 12 of 13

Hi Charles

I'm really sorry to hear this.

I've completed a line test which has detected a loop fault. This fault is often caused by internal wiring or equipment connected to the line.

Can I just check, have you tested with a different phone at the test socket, with the router removed from the line?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes