Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Noisy/Crackly line

26 REPLIES 26
bassplayerchris
Conversation Starter

Hi - Have moved from Fast Broadband to Fiber - for the first week everything seemed fine though I was only getting about 20Mbps - which is fine tbh, though a higher speed would be nice on some downloads. 

After about a week I'm getting a lot of crackles and noise on the line - have swapped out microfilters and the problem persists.

KeithFrench
Community Star

Hi @bassplayerchris 

I have asked one of TalkTalk's OCEs to pick your thread up and investigate it for you.

The forum is not real-time 24/7 support, so depending on how busy they are & how many are working at any one time, this can take 24 - 48 hrs (excluding weekends & limited cover on Bank Holidays). Alternatively, you can call the call centre or use online chat. The posts are responded to in time/date order, oldest first. So the fewer entries you make on your thread now, the sooner they will pick it up.

To save yourself time, please make sure that your community profile includes your first & last names, broadband phone number & if possible an alternative contact number. This can be done by clicking on your Avatar picture then click on "My Settings" followed by:-

Personal Profile > Personal Information

Otherwise, TalkTalk will not be able to tie up your forum username to your broadband account. Only you & TalkTalk have visibility of your details.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

bassplayerchris
Conversation Starter

Thanks - I would have raised it via chat - but at the time chat was showing as offline.  I'm happy to wait for it to be picked up.

OCE_Arne
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi bassplayerchris

I will look into this for you and get back to you. 

Regards

OCE_Arne

Hi @bassplayerchris

A line test has picked up a fault so will pass this to our network team.

OCE_Arne

Hi @bassplayerchris

We have requested an engineer to go out to the exchange in the next 48 hours. 

We can check the fault ticket on  Thursday for an update

Regards

bassplayerchris
Conversation Starter

Thanks. The engineer called at the house today, which wasn't expected - as I assumed you would just send him out to the exchange.

He diagnosed a problem between the junction box on the wall of my property and the street cabinet, and said he'd be fixing this. Whatever he has done has got rid of most of the crackling and noise on the line - though there is still an intermittent crackle left.

He also pointed out that my property was star wired and said he'd remove one of the lines running out of the junction and asked me which I wanted to keep -- I picked the one that ran upstairs.  In the event, he didn't remove the other line -- not sure why.  He also pointed to some fraying on the line running upstairs and said that this would eventually fail (and made some reference to a bridge tap) but didn't seem keen on replacing it (both lines are in BTs part of the demarcation, running behind the master sockets).

My DSL speed improved slightly for about an hour - up to about 25/5Mbps, but is now back to 18.8/5.3Mbps.

OCE_Debbie

Hi bassplayerchris

Apologies for the delay.

Are you still experiencing noise on the line following the engineer visit?

Thanks

Debbie

bassplayerchris
Conversation Starter

I can confirm the worst of the noise seems to have gone for now - though there is still some residual intermittent crackling on the line.

However the connection speed is lower than before, so I presume this just means there is more noise in the VDSL ranges -- and the other issues surfaced by the engineer weren't resolved.

bassplayerchris
Conversation Starter

The noise appears to be back as of this morning.

OCE_Debbie

Hi bassplayerchris

Is the noise still present if you test with a corded handset at the test socket, with the router removed from the line?

I can then pass this back over to our Network Team for investigation.

Thanks

Debbie

bassplayerchris
Conversation Starter

Hi - 

My sockets are both of the old LJU style without a faceplate or test socket.  Testing with a wired/corded handset I'm getting intermittent crackling from both sockets - which is more pronounced in the silence after the dial tone times out.

OCE_Debbie

Hi bassplayerchris

Thanks for your reply. Was the router also removed from the line? (when the noise was present)

Debbie

bassplayerchris
Conversation Starter

Yes, everything was unplugged including microfilters, and I was connecting the corded phone directly into the LJU(s)

OCE_Debbie

Hi bassplayerchris

I have passed this fault over to our Network Team for investigation and I will post back on this thread as soon as I receive further information.

Thanks

Debbie

OCE_Debbie

Hi bassplayerchris

The next step will be to arrange a BT Openreach engineer visit.

I'm just sending you a Private Message to confirm some details so we can arrange this visit.

Thanks

Debbie

bassplayerchris
Conversation Starter

Just to say this is still an issue, and I'm now in the position to be able to be available at home for a BT visit.

The chronology so far is that after the initial engineer visit (17 April - which cleared a fault), engineers visited my neighbours property to connect a new line for them - in doing so they had to go into the BT66 junction box attached to my exterior wall to which my line is also connected.

After their visit I noticed my line crackling again, and you have again run a test (back in May) when I had no equipment connected, to verify that it was indeed within the line and not the fault of my router/filters etc.

I would like to trigger an engineers visit.

bassplayerchris
Conversation Starter
Hi - Still waiting for a response to this.
OCE_Arne

Sorry for the delay.  I'll pass this to our network team to arrange an engineer

OCE_Arne

Hi @bassplayerchris

We have requested an engineer to go out to the exchange in the next 48 hours. 

We can check the fault ticket on Friday for an update

Regards