Home Phone

Get help with your TalkTalk landline and calling features.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Noisy and crackling line

jimandann31a
First Timer
Message 10 of 10

For months we've had a crackling and occasional hissing noise on our landline. It's intermittent, but recently it's become more or less constant, to the point where we’re struggling to be able to make or receive a call. Also, there's an occasional echo on one or both sides of the call - when someone speaks, they can hear themselves a fraction of a second later - very annoying!

We've tried disconnecting all extensions, and plugged a corded phone directly into the test (master) socket - and the problem's still there. We’ve tried changing all the microfilters, different phones etc, all to no avail.

I've tried to "chat" with an agent, but it's an exercise in futility – 2 hours of going round and round the same scripted questions and answers, to the point where I wonder if they actually read what I've typed  (if someone from TT is reading this, please retrieve the chat transcript and assess this for yourself).

I’m almost certain this is a line (i.e. Openreach) issue, but I understand there needs to be some vetting of the fault before I can book an engineer. Can someone help please?

0 Likes
9 REPLIES 9

Message 1 of 10

Hi jimandann31a

Thanks for keeping us updated.

The engineer has also left notes to advise that work was completed at the cabinet. They also said that they gave advice regarding location of the router.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

jimandann31a
First Timer
Message 2 of 10

The Openreach engineer visited on Monday and although he couldn't find any immediate causes for the problem, he swapped over the line to a new connection at both the cabinet and the exchange (or so I believe - I'd be interested if there's any more detail you can provide). Since then, the line has been perfect 😀 

0 Likes

jimandann31a
First Timer
Message 3 of 10

PM sent, can you confirm when the engineer is booked please?

0 Likes

Message 4 of 10

Hi

I'll drop you a PM to confirm some details so we can get the engineer booked for you.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

0 Likes

jimandann31a
First Timer
Message 5 of 10

Apologies, meant to add that yes: we've tried several different phones, both corded and cordless.

0 Likes

jimandann31a
First Timer
Message 6 of 10

Hi Debbie,

Yes - with only a corded phone plugged directly in to the master socket (the test socket behind the faceplate), and nothing else connected, we still get the crackling.

Regards

Jim

0 Likes

Message 7 of 10

Hi jimandann31a

Thank you. The line tests are clear - No faults detected.

Thanks for also confirming that you have tested with a different phone at the test socket. Was the router also removed from the line?

The next step will be to arrange an Openreach engineer visit.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

jimandann31a
First Timer
Message 8 of 10

Should be there now, thanks

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 9 of 10

Hi jimandann31a

I'm really sorry to hear this.

Please can you add your name and TalkTalk landline number to your Community Profile, we can then look into this further.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes