Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Phone does not ring properly

16 REPLIES 16
Pal353
Super Duper Contributor

This morning I reported a fault to your team. The landline phone does not ring properly. In all other respects it is fine. Last week I changed the handset thinking that was the fault but it wasn’t. My internet research leads me to believe that it is a line card fault at the exchange. After a few basic questions, an automated voice said there was a fault and that a 15 minute test  would now be run. After that time, I got a text saying there was no fault. But the landline was now not working as I was warned it wouldn’t during the test. So I phoned the 0345 number given in the text, finally spoke to someone, and got the landline and the internet back. But of course the phone is still not ringing properly. Could someone please notify the exchange about a possible line card fault. I shall not be calling the support team again on this matter since as long as calls can be made and received they are content. Thanks.

Pal353
OCE_Arne
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Pal353

In order to rule out the handset as the fault, Have you tested with a different corded telephone ? 

Pal353
Super Duper Contributor

Yes I did so with an an analogue phone. There was no proper ringtone. Just one long ringtone and then a series of staccato rings. BUT as of now, 12.16, both it and the new phone are ringing properly. Have TalkTalk reported a line card fault? If not, the fault must be intermittent.

Pal353
OCE_Arne

Ive ran line tests and no fault was detected, so it could be intermittent.  Continue to monitor and let us know. 

Pal353
Super Duper Contributor

Many thanks Arne. I will do what you suggest.

Pal353
OCE_Arne
Pal353
Super Duper Contributor

The fault has recurred today. Could this presumed line card fault please be reported. Calls can still be made and received. Thanks

Pal353
OCE_Arne

I'll ask our network team to have a look, Line tests are still passing. 

OCE_Arne

Hi @Pal353

Our network team need access times and dates to arrange an engineer, can you read and understand the following Engineer charges help page you will need to agree to this to allow us to book this.

Then if you can send me via a Private message on the community with the best available dates and times for you, Monday to Friday, either AM (8am tilll 1pm) or PM (1pm till 6pm) for the visit we will book this.

Thanks

Pal353
Super Duper Contributor

I have added full details about the engineer’s visit, and thank you Arne for your efficiency in arranging that, in the private information notes. Briefly, he said the line was faulty as he arrived but the line test was fine as today, unlike yesterday, the phone is ringing properly. An intermittent earth fault could be the cause. I have to carry out further tests using the test socket when the fault recurs to try to determine if the fault is on my side of the test socket or not.

Pal353
OCE_Arne
Pal353
Super Duper Contributor

Thanks Arne. Can you tell me TalkTalk’s policy on charging for intermittent faults? One payment for today would not seem unreasonable as despite his initial assertion that there was a fault, a line test failed to find it.  However, a charge for another visit for the same recurring problem would not seem reasonable and if the problem is eventually located on the Openreach side of the test socket box, would I get a refund?

Pal353
OCE_Arne

Hi Pal353

If the fault continues and an another engineer finds the fault as long as its within 30 days of the last visit the previous charge would be refunded.  

Regards

Pal353
Super Duper Contributor

Many thanks Arne. That is very helpful.

Pal353
OCE_Arne
Pal353
Super Duper Contributor

Update on thus issue, Arne. After a week of testing, the phone has rung properly each time. I have changed the ADSL filter by the phone (though only the phone socket is used on this filter). That seems to have worked. I have read that these filters can deteriorate after a number of years and mine was old. If the problem recurs, I will get back in touch. Thanks for your help.

I also have a query re CallSafe but I will start a new thread about that.

Pal353
OCE_Arne