Home Phone

Get help with your TalkTalk landline and calling features.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone line location issue

PhilG
Conversation Starter
Message 14 of 14

Hi there,

I moved house on Tuesday and the Open Reach engineer came to get the internet etc working on Wednesday. The phone line socket is currently located on one side of the hallway (which is awkward as it is right by the stairs and toilet). The previous owners have placed the phone and internet cables underneath the tiled floor to the other side of the hallway where their router and home phone were on top of a radiator cover.

I asked the engineer if the phone line socket could be moved to the living room, but he said that it would have to be logged as a separate job. He would only be obliged to move the line if there was a H&S issue, such as the cable running across the hallway. With the wires underneath the tiles, the H&S issue doesn't exist.

He left a while later stating that everything was working, walking out the door while I was trying to connect to the WiFi.

Since then, I have checked the phone line several times and there is no dial tone. I have just tried a new wire from the socket into our house phone on the other side of the hallway and I now get a dial tone! According to the engineer, this presents a H&S issue as the phone cable underneath the tiled floor doesn't work.

Where do I stand on getting an engineer back out to move the socket?

Thanks in advance.

Phil.

0 Likes
13 REPLIES 13

Message 1 of 14

Hi PhilG,

Thanks for answering the security questions, I've sent you a PM

Chris

0 Likes

Message 2 of 14

Hi Michelle,

I have just updated the phone number in my profile to the number at my new address so it will be correct now.

Thank you.

Phil

0 Likes

Message 3 of 14

Morning,

Just to confirm, is the telephone number in your Community Profile correct? Please do not post any personal information on the Community.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 4 of 14

Hello,

Thanks for confirming. We can submit a request for this here or our Telephone Support Team can also raise this for you. I'm just sending you a Private Message to confirm a few details, please reply via Private Message (PM) only. Please do not post any personal information on the Community.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 5 of 14

Hi Michelle,

Apologies for the late response, I can only access this forum once I am out of work. Just to clarify - the wires underneath the tiles do not go to another socket, the plug straight into the phone and router.

I would like an engineer to come and move the master socket please and understand the cost. Our master socket is a NTE 5C.

Is booking an engineer something that you can arrange or do I need to do it somewhere else?

Many thanks for your help.

Regards,

Phil.

0 Likes

Message 6 of 14

Hello,

If there is a dial tone at the main socket/test socket, however it is in an inconvenient location then we can arrange for this to be located to a different room/location, however this would be a chargeable visit as this is classed as a Low Volume Request. Would you like to go ahead with this and we can confirm some details with you.

Openreach engineers can also install and replace main phone sockets if requested. This is chargeable at £128.40.

Your guide to main phone sockets

Edit - Can I also just confirm, when you mention a wire under the tiles/floor does this lead to a different socket elsewhere in the property?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 7 of 14

Hi Michelle,

The current wire running from the master socket, underneath the tiled floor and into the telephone on the other side of the hall doesn't work - no dial tone. I have tried a new phone cable - but obviously can't put it underneath the tiled floor as that is fixed. The new wire works and i can make and receive calls. However, the wire would just be hanging across the floor of the hall which causes a trip hazard.

The Open Reach engineer said that if the wire was above the tiles, he would be obliged to move the socket but as it was underneath the tiles it was fine. He didn't check the line before he left, he only checked the internet.

I would like the master socket moved please. Just to note - i am not talking about the BT line that is fixed to our external wall, but the master socket located inside the house.

Hope that has cleared it up a bit.

regards,

Phil.

0 Likes

Message 8 of 14

Hi Phil,

Apologies for the confusion, if you connect just a phone to the test socket behind the faceplate, is there a dial tone?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 9 of 14

Hi Michelle,

Thanks for getting back to me. The socket does have a test socket. The wires come out of this socket across the hallway floor to the other side of the hallway where the router and phone are located. There is no room or plug to connect the phone/router on the side of the hallway where the master/test socket is located. 

The phone cable was located underneath the tiles in the hallway to get to the other side, however this cable is not working (no dial tone in the phone) so we have to stretch a cable across the hallway (above the tiled floor) to make/receive calls. We are constantly having to unplug this cable though due to our small children needing access to the hallway.

I would like the master/test socket to be re-located - ideally to our living room.

Hope that helps?

Phil.

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 10 of 14

Hi Phil,

Can I just confirm, does the main socket have a test socket? Do you mean that the phone is usually connected at an extension socket?

Thanks

0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Message 11 of 14

The engineer wouldn't normally be telling you about costs.

In the event of installing or moving a socket there would always be a  charge as listed here for an Openreach engineer to do it, @PhilG:

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Engineer-charges/ta-p/2207291

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes

PhilG
Conversation Starter
Message 12 of 14

Hi - sorry if my post was unclear. The master socket is on the same wall as the toilet/stairs which is a really inconvenient place as there isn't anywhere to put a router or phone. The pervious owner has tiled over the phone/internet wires which run across to the other side of the hallway where the phone and router were plugged in.

The engineer stated that if those wires were not underneath the tiles, he would have been obliged to move the master socket as it would be a safety risk. However, the phone cable doesn't work (which he didn't check before he left) - and so the only way to connect my phone is to stretch a cable over the tiled floor - creating a trip hazard.

I am happy to pay for the master socket to be moved (this is what I want) - however I would question paying for it as the engineer stated he would have had to move it if the wires were unsafe - which they now are, which he would have realised if he had checked the phone for a dial tone. He never mentioned a cost if he would have been obliged to move it - only if i wanted it moved for my convenience if everything worked.

Thanks for any further advice.

Phil.

0 Likes

martswain
Philosopher
Message 13 of 14

@PhilG it is not clear from your post which is actually the Master Socket connected to the incoming line.

If your phone and broadband are working in that socket then moving it will not be free, in fact it will be £128.40 

Any internal wiring after the Master Socket is the homeowner's responsibility, so if the socket connected to the cable under the tiles is an extension, you'll have to fix it yourself.

0 Likes