Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Phone line out of action - no dial tone

10 REPLIES 10
Popular Poster

Hi there

I reported my phone out of action last Saturday (27/07/219) via online chat with Pretty at TalkTalk.  On Sunday 28th July I received a call from TalkTalk Technical, telling me that an engineer would deal with my problem (no dial tone) within the next 24 to 72 hours.

More than 72 hours have now elapsed, and I have had neither sight nor sound of an engineer, nor has my phone service been restored.

Living alone and having only a basic PAYG mobile as backup, I am very reliant on my home phone and would appreciate restoration of my service asap.

Could you please investigate whether an engineer is on the case, and when I can expect to have a working phone line again?

Many thanks

Chris Perry

Christine Perry
Community Star

Sorry to hear this, I have flagged this up to the support team for you, hopefully they will pick this up tomorrow. If you can you just confirm that your phoneline has no dialtone and is unable to receive calls and that this persists even if connected at the test socket then that will be helpful.

Popular Poster

Thank you for your assistance, Ferguson.  I can confirm that my phoneline has no dial tone.  I am unable to make or receive calls from my home phone, although TalkTalk has kindly put a temporary divert of incoming calls to my PAYG mobile.  Alas, I have no test socket.  I have had problems with this line in the past, requiring the services of BT Openreach engineers.  I suspect the same is true this time, as the fault occurred following a violent thunderstorm last week.

TalkTalk has already conducted tests on my line and had told me that an engineer would be forthcoming within 72 hours.  Unfortunately I am still waiting for my service to be restored.

Chris

Christine Perry
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Chris

I've checked with Openreach and the fault is still open with them.  They advise this is part of a batch fault - so a number of lines are affected and they are working to clear the fault and restore service to the affected line as quickly as possible.

Thanks

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

Popular Poster

Thanks, Karl. I hope BT Openreach can resolve the problems soon.

TalkTalk has kindly arranged for calls to my landline to be forwarded to my mobile number.   Although useful, it is also causing a problem of its own, as for some reason I am receiving calls for someone in Lancashire (I am in Norfolk!) whose landline is also out of action.  Quite why/how a Lancashire landline number has been mapped to my mobile number is a mystery to me, but it is becoming irritating for all parties concerned.  Is this a TalkTalk problem or something else for BT Openreach to sort out?

Many thanks

Chris

Christine Perry

Hi Chris

I've asked our Network Team for an update on this fault and I will post back on this thread as soon as I receive further information.

Thanks

Debbie

Popular Poster

Pleased to say that I ran into some BT Openreach engineers yesterday, who were working on my fault.  My phone line has now been restored and all is well.

Many thanks for your help.

Chris

Christine Perry
Community Star

Nice one, you shouldn't have to run into them though, they should just do their job.  😉

Hi Chris

I'm glad to hear that this fault has been resolved. The last update we received from Openreach was to advise that they were still working on this fault.

Thanks

Debbie

Popular Poster

Ferguson, I know what you mean but I think they were doing their job, to be fair.  I just happened to see a BT Openreach engineer sitting by a hole, I mentioned that I was having problems with my line, and when I gave him my address he said they were working on my fault at that time.  It still took a couple of hours to be fully repaired, and I saw the engineers several more times.  They were always very pleasant and co-operative.

It would appear that Norfolk had been overwhelmed with faults following the humungous thunderstorm we had the week before last, and they had been drafted in from Chester to help sort everything out.  It took a while but we got there 🙂

Thanks to all at TalkTalk for liaising with BT Openreach and for keeping in touch with me.

Christine Perry
Community Star

@auntiechrissie1  No problem, I was making light, not run into them literally, then?  😊