Home Phone

Get help with your TalkTalk landline and calling features.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switched provider. I SHOULD STILL HAVE CONNECTION till taken over. Internet still Landline not.

dscottp
Team Player
Message 42 of 42

Hi, I've recently switched to another provider who are taking over my landline and internet connection and there are problems on the Openreach side due to a frame issue (presumably work in a local box still not done) and still not switched over by the agreed date, which was timed and arranged before my contract Talk Talk ended.

They told me that my landline and internet will continue still, with my old provider, until the point they actual take it over when Openreach have sorted out the frame problem. They told me Talk Talk wouldn't terminate the service until they take over from them as that's the arrangement.

I find however that my broadband is still working for the internet, however my landline is not working. I am not sure whether my landline has been cut off by you, Talk Talk (and not my internet- if that is possible), or whether there is some other problem. My landline was continuing to work after the contract ended on the 4th and only stopped a day ago, yet the internet continues. I don't have another phone to ring and speak to anyone so I am here.

Hoping even though I am leaving Talk Talk, but presumably still connected (or partially if the problem with no landline connection IS Talk Talk) someone helps me.

Its taking a long time with Openreach, my new provider keep telling me they are still waiting and the problem still not done. Latest is the next I will hear from them is by the 15th.

Anyway, hoping someone can help, I am obviously still paying for some service with Talk Talk until I am switched over, and need to be able to use my phone still,

Thanks,

Damian.

Writer and learning as I go along.
0 Likes
41 REPLIES 41

Message 1 of 42

No Problem 🙂

Karl 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

0 Likes

Message 2 of 42

Thanks Karl, 

Its even more clear now.

Damian

0 Likes

Message 3 of 42

Hi

I couldn't guess why the agent said what he did, and I would never try to speak for another agent or provider.

With regard to legality, there is nothing illegal happening.  Faults do occur and sometimes things go wrong. There are measures in place to make a company account for poor performance etc, governing bodies such as Ofcom etc, but they also appreciate that sometimes things will happen, and will ensure that companies keep these to a minimum.

Also, from reading the email you have received, it does say that the service will remain active until they take over the service. Actually it only stays live until Openreach go to the exchange and disconnect the line from our equipment at the agreed date. If the new provider encounters issues and does not take over at the agreed point, then you are without service until any faults are resolved (as in this case).  It also says in the email that if the line is disconnected , we (meaning they I assume) can reinstate the service - that is incorrect, the service will only be reinstalled / restored once Openreach have completed the work required.

With regard to the Billing, your TalkTalk account is closed, so you should receive a final bill within the next 30 days for any services used etc.

So going forward, you have no active account with us and are technically no longer a TalkTalk customer, so are no longer being billed.

If however there are any charges on the final bill that you dispute, this is something we can help with.  Don't call etc, just deal with us here in the Community and we can sort out any billing issues for you.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Message 4 of 42

Again, sorry, i couldn't get it any bigger to fit one attachment,  so copied text:

"Good afternoon Damian,

Your order is progressing and I just wanted to briefly update you with what is happening on your order. 

The order was built by BT on the wrong network infrastructure to the Moss Side exchange rather than the Chorlton exchange. 

As such the network connected to the circuit needed updating so your order will work when connected.

In regards to your questions in your email I have tried to provide the most information possible but please let us know if you need further assistance : 

Firstly Talk Talk connection will stay live until we successfully take the circuit. Should they cease the connection we will be able to restart the service. As mentioned above your order just needs some network connection adjustments to progress successfully. 

Secondly I am afraid your mobile connection is something that your provider can assist with as we cannot influence the mobile network. 

Thirdly regarding how to know if the service will be complete, we will keep you updated via email regarding the order progress, however should your current connection with the old suppliers cancel, we have no influence over this, however we will look to get you a connection again as soon as possible. Once your order progress we can provide you with your technical details and new number. 

In regards to your billing questions, our billing team can assist with this if you contact them on .................. However if you are still being charged by Talk Talk I am afraid this needs to be taken up with Talk Talk ......... cannot assist with the billing of another 3rd party service.

Please note that the minimum lead time to take over any connection is 10 working days depending on the network build being correct. Please note this is a minimum lead time.   

I hope this will clarify any questions and I do apologize regarding any order delays. 

Should you wish to discuss this issue further please don't hesitate to respond directly to my email.

Kind regards"

0 Likes

Message 5 of 42

Sorry about the size of the attachment, heres a bigger snip: 

dscottp_1-1637322221563.png

0 Likes

Message 6 of 42

Hi Karl,

Interesting. Makes sense. A few things. Can one venture a guess why the customer service rep got it wrong assuming in good faith, that this is just some confusion, rather than deliberate deception? Another thing. Isn't it wrong, possibly illegal for Openreach to disconnect without the certainty of being able to connect up shortly to the new provider, considering that the switch over is supposed to be just that, a switch over without a gap of weeks in between and all the possible disruptions that could cause a customer? In regards to what has happened, I got this email detailing: 

dscottp_0-1637321948323.png

0 Likes

Message 7 of 42

Hi Damian, 

What they are telling you is incorrect. It is not illegal, legality has no part in this, if it were, there would be legislation in place for such things, so there is no contravention of law etc.

As with most providers, such as ourselves, Sky, Vodaphone etc, that provide services over phone lines, we all use Openreach engineers.  Openreach own the network, so the lines from your home to the exchange all belong to Openreach and they will only allow their engineers to work on these. This is why, whether it's an installation or disconnection an Order has to be raised to Openreach by all the various suppliers for any work required. So We or any of the other suppliers cannot go out to the exchange and unplug your line, this has to be completed by Openreach. The order that was raised for the termination of your services was placed to Openreach with an agreed date.  They have completed the order and this has disconnected your line from us and the subsequent account then closed.

There is no such thing as an emergency restoration. For any provider to restore a disconnected line, a customer would have to place a fresh order for a service so that a provisioning order could be raised to Openreach to connect the line. This would start a new service with us and stop your new provider from taking over.

The fault in this case lies with the new provider / openreach as they are experiencing a delay in completing work to provide the service.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

Message 8 of 42

Hi Karl,

Apparently you've got it wrong, according to my new-to-be provider's customer service. Its Talk Talk who have discontinued my connection. Its illegal for Talk Talk to disconnect me until its clear the switchover is happening and as its not clear, they should  not have disconnected, according to what a customer service rep said to me today. Therefore I should be entitled to an emergency restoration for my phone line from Talk Talk until the switchover is definitely on the cards.

Damian.

0 Likes

Message 9 of 42

Hi Karl,

Thanks for your help, I'm still waiting for them to update me. Sent an email an hour ago. I thought they said they'd ring yesterday, although I may have got it wrong and they said Openreach may contact them by the 15th (yesterday) and they'd let me know when it does.

I am reliant on an old mobile, with a little credit on it, so would rather not ring them, as I may end up waiting for ages in a que and run my credit down and besides that the phone signal is crap and has a habit of cutting off too so even if I get through...

Anyway, they have the number of this old mobile phone and have rung me before on it and said they'd ring as well as email, so I have to wait for them either to ring or respond to my mail as long as I've a connection, or chance running down credit and even then getting cut off midway.

So considering all of this, it makes me kind of reliant more on email and them ringing me back, but if my internet gets disconnected and they haven't emailed me, or they ring and signal goes down....

Anyhow, I guess I shall wait for the reply to my email, and if I get cut off, all I can do is plug my router in and keep trying it and my phone till it connects.

Thanks for all your help,

Best wishes,

Damian.

0 Likes

Message 10 of 42

Hi

When they fully disconnect the fibre, I could not say when your new service will be active as I have no visibility of the issue that Openreach are having at the moment, only your new provider can find this out.

I also don't know if your new provider will contact you before the service is up and running as I'm unaware of their process, I think you should contact them and see if they have any updates or callback policies so they can keep you informed.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

Message 11 of 42

Thanks Karl, 

Just one last thing, which crossed my mind. Could I be right in assuming then, that when Openreach finally disconnect my broadband, the disconnection process will then be complete, hence the switch over then automatic (or on the same day) as that's the final stage? There can be no further delay after that, as the issues are likely something to do with the disconnection process, hence why broadband is still up and only the phone disconnected at the moment? Does it also work that when a disconnection is about to fully complete in this way, I will hear from my new provider first, just BEFORE the broadband is to be finally disconnected and the process 'finalized' (if that's the right word)?   Cheers

0 Likes

Message 12 of 42

Hi

If Openreach have a delay connecting up the new service, then ultimately the responsibility lies with them.  Openreach own the network between the exchange and your home.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

Message 13 of 42

Thanks again Karl,

Its still unclear to me you write "If a cease order is raised by your new supplier, then it is Openreach that will actually disconnect the services, not us, but if there are issues they should hold off on this." Are you basically saying Openreach shouldn't have disconnected me if there were issues, or until those issues were sorted out?

I am thinking who is at fault here?

Cheers

0 Likes

Message 14 of 42

Hi

The disconnection, the order is only completed automatically once the disconnection is completed.

As the line is now fully disconnected from us, you would have to wait for your new provider to install your line.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

Message 15 of 42

What do you mean by ."..they should hold off on this?" 'This' meaning the cease order or the disconnection? 

0 Likes

Message 16 of 42

Hi

If a cease order is raised by your new supplier, then it is Openreach that will actually disconnect the services, not us, but if there are issues they should hold off on this.  The disconnection of the landline looks to have gone ahead and has been fully disconnected and the order completed.

unfortunately in this situation there is not much we can do, once disconnected by Openreach we cannot get them to reconnect unless we raise a new order to provide a service to you, which would also stop the new provider from taking over.

Karl.

Working From Home Tips

Message 17 of 42

Karl, I also forgot to say, my new provider has also escalated this too.

0 Likes

Message 18 of 42

Hi Karl,

Thanks again.

However I was told Gondola "TalkTalk would not cease your service unless either you've told them to or your new provider has notified of the actual switchover." Also by my provider that Talk Talk wouldn't not cut me off till I was connected and told I am being connecting too. 

Surely its not right to cut off without connecting up?

0 Likes

Message 19 of 42

Hi

Yes, the phone line has been disconnected - Openreach have completed the initial cease order for the line, so the phone line is fully disconnected from us.  This is not because of you requesting a new number etc.

When openreach sort out the issue with the fibre and disconnect it from our equipment they will complete the cease order for the fibre that we have showing as open.

I would contact your new provide and chase for an update. They should have a provisioning team that can contact Openreach directly for the latest updates and eta.  If the order is not progressing as it should your new provider can raise a bridge case with Openreach to escalate this.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

Message 20 of 42

Hi Karl,

Thanks, things are getting clearer, although I am not sure exactly what you mean with the various terms. So 2 questions.

1) Do you mean my phone line has been disconnected and that shows on your side, although you are not provided with the information about when the new phone line opens with my new provider, as only they can know?

2) My internet connection is still up because there is a delay in the fibre cease order and when that cease order arrives, my internet will be cut off but again when a new connection is provided only my new provider can say?

Some further questions on 1&2.

Regarding 1, is this because I requested a new phone number with the new phone line (as opposed to a simple switch over retaining the same number as the old) hence why the phone line, unlike the broadband was disconnected?

Regarding 2, is it possible that when the cease order arrives for the internet connection, like with the phone line, I will be disconnected, (even though Openreach has not sorted it out with the provision of a new connection)?

In short, I am switching over landline and internet. Landline is disconnected from you and not connected to my new provider, the internet is still connected to you and again not connected with my new provider. Both are unconnected to the new and yet only one is connected to the old. Is the difference because I requested a new phone number instead of a simple switch over retaining the same number? Or is it just timing and its quite possible I may end up with internet disconnected too and still not connected up to the new? 

I still haven't heard from my new provider as I assume Openreach has not updated them, as if it had, they would simply get in touch and send me my new phone number and tell me to plug the router they have already sent me, in.

Surely I should only have been disconnected when I have been connected on the other. Why Openreach has completed a cease order when not connecting me? 

Thanks

0 Likes