Home Phone

Get help with your TalkTalk landline and calling features.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to get a fault fixed on my elderly fathers TalkTalk landline.

mark_by_the_sea
Chatterbox
Message 11 of 11

My father is 89 years old, lives on his own, has poor hearing and doesn't go out often. He now rarely uses the internet or emails anymore, however having working landline is still very important and makes him feel safe.

Recently TalkTalk upgraded his internet connection to Faster Fibre (and charged him £60 for it) even though he didn't ask for it.

Since then his landline phone doesn't ring on incoming calls so he can't tell when someone is calling him (the caller gets a ringing tone so thinks he's not answering which is quite worrying for the caller).

The broadband and router are all working perfectly & he can call out on the landline.

We have tested three separate (known to be good) corded landline phones in his master socket with and without the router and filters connected. None ring (properly), sometime one will give a single quiet half a ring for one second before stopping.

Now all I want to do is get this fixed for him & I'm pretty sure it's going to take an OpenReach engineer to tweak something in the exchange or wiring to the master socket. I have read that the landline "ringer circuit" from the exchange runs down a different wire to the information/calls and is also at a higher current. So it is very unlikely to be anything to do with the new TalkTalk equipment at the exchange and everything to do with the 40 year old telephone system! 

So far we've wasted nearly 3 hours text/chatting to TalkTalk overseas support centers and being given the run around by 3 different operatives!! Grrr!

Basically we were told there is no fault on the line and "ringtones" are the responsibility of the customer (maybe that would be case if talking about mobile phones; possibly the support operatives have never seen a landline?). When we suggested to one operative we'd like to speak to a manager he eventually backtracked and said he would test the line from his location and that we'd have to continue the chat on a 4/5g mobile hotspot as he needed to turn off the connection. We however were using a computer connected by ethernet cable to the router and had no way to do this. He told us there was nothing he could do then!! We told him that was impossible but he kept asking that we connect via mobile! As this text/chat had been going on for more than 2 hours we gave up and ended it! Defeated by mind numbing tedium.

Any advice on how to progress this would be appreciated.

Please help my elderly father.

;-D
0 Likes
10 REPLIES 10

Message 1 of 11

Hi mark_by_the_sea

Thanks for confirming your details.

Would you like me to book the first available visit?

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 2 of 11

Hi mark_by_the_sea

I've sent you a Private Message.

Thanks

Debbie 🙂

0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Message 3 of 11

@mark_by_the_sea, if you are sent a Private Message by staff, it will show as a number, top right, by your avatar.

You need to click on that to reach the envelope symbol and click on that to read your message. It should open fully.

However, the reply function isn't working. 

Responses need to be done by clicking on the staff member name and going to the SEND MESSAGE tab on the turquoise background to compose a new message in reply. 

@Debbie-TalkTalk can then look out for a reply. 

The first step, though, is just to confirm on here whether you want to go ahead with setting up the visit.

Further information may be required if your father has not set up a telephone password. 

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes

Message 4 of 11

Hi mark_by_the_sea

Thanks for adding the details to your Community Profile.

The line test is clear, no faults detected. If you have tested with different phones at the test socket then the next step will be to arrange an Openreach engineer visit to the property.

If the account holder has set up a telephone password (and shared this with you) then I can arrange the engineer visit with you.

If you would like me to arrange this visit then I will send you a Private Message to confirm some details.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Message 5 of 11

Thank you, @mark_by_the_sea.

You have done the right thing posting your father's details in Private Notes. 

As a customer yourself, it is important that you keep the information in your community forum profile details correct for yourself in the Personal Information area.

@Michelle-TalkTalk and any other staff will then know which account is affected.

Message 6 of 11

Hi, a kind community member says I should put my fathers details in the Private Notes in my community profile for support staff to see.

I've now done this. I hope it is the correct thing to do.

Best regards, Mark

;-D
0 Likes

mark_by_the_sea
Chatterbox
Message 7 of 11

Hi, thanks for the info.

I've put my fathers details into the private section in my community profile. Hope support pick up on this.

Best regards, Mark

;-D

Message 8 of 11

Thanks, no I've not added my fathers details to my community profile.

best regards, M

;-D
0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 9 of 11

Morning,

I'm really sorry to hear this. Can I just confirm, did you add your dad's name and telephone number to your Community Profile? Please do not post any personal information on the Community.

Thanks

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Message 10 of 11

Make sure you have added your father's details to the Private Notes section of your personal information in your profile area, @mark_by_the_sea.

So staff can identify his account, add his name, home address and landline phone number by going via your avatar/name; settings; from the drop down menu that starts with "email" choose Personal Information. At the end of that section find Private Notes. Add the information and SAVE CHANGES. 

Staff will pick up this thread during the day. 

Longer term, make sure that your father is registered for priority fault repairs by adding details in his My Account:

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Registering-your-accessibility-requirements/ta-p/258302...

Even further down the line, it may be useful to register for Authority to Act etc:

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Power-of-Attorney-Authority-to-Act/ta-p/2205181

Also, at some stage post in the billing section to have that £60.00 charge looked into. If he never requested the upgrade, it should not have been applied. 

Check the actual description of his new package. Faster Fibre is likely to be called Fibre 35, if it was within the past 10 months or so, and the Faster Fibre package is now a legacy package.