Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Turning off Anonymous Caller Reject

17 REPLIES 17
Highlighted
Popular Poster

Hello please please can someone advise me how to resolve this issue.

My 90 year old dad has a Talktalk home phone.  He was getting loads of scam calls so about 3 weeks ago I set up Call Safe for him.  All well and good.  I have listed all his family and friends in his approved numbers list.  Scam calls seem to have died off. 

However "withheld"  or "anonymous" numbers  (WHICH INCLUDES HIS DOCTOR'S SURGERY) aren't being asked to record their names.  They are receiving the message "Sorry the number you are calling does not accept calls from withheld numbers" and are cut off.  

I logged into the online account and removed the tick besides Anonymous Caller Reject.  That was 2 weeks ago.  Every time I call up or use the customer support chat to see how long it will take to take effect I am given a different time frame  - 24 hrs, 48 hrs 2-5 days.  I've just tried it again by using 141 before my number and I'm still getting the "Sorry" message - 2 weeks on.

How do I resolve this for him?  What would you advise us to do?  He is quite deaf and infirm and can't use online chat or call up an overseas call centre without support.  He needs to get calls from the local doctors and hospital quite often and at the moment they can't reach him.  

Surely you should be able to allow withheld numbers to be passed through even with Call Safe set up?  

Thank you I would be most grateful for any advice. 

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi @claire back

Can you add his Phone number to the private notes of your community profile, It sounds like a stuck order on the account. 

Add the number and ill look into it.  

Thanks

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Hello Thank you for replying.   I have done that now and given you some details about myself too. Thanks.

Highlighted

Hi @claire back

Sorry the number you have given for your dad does not bring up an account can you please recheck it. 

Thanks

Highlighted
Popular Poster

I've checked it and I've also added the account number thank you

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Hello I did check the number and it is correct.  I've also added the Account number too.  As of this morning the Anonymous Call Reject button is still unticked on the account and yet withheld numbers are still be barred from reaching the number.  Please could you investigate why this is happening.  Thank you.

Highlighted

Hi @claire back

As far as I can see Anonymous caller reject is not on the line. It was deactivated on 12th of September. 

The next step is re-add the service and then remove it again this may clear the problem, I'll do that today it usually takes a few hours. 

I'll post back when completed.

Highlighted
Popular Poster

thank you for responding.  Yes please do try anything.  BTW I raised this with the Technical Support Team yesterday and they are trying to resolve.  Their ref is 1000002-631923-0

As of this morning at 9:04 the line is still blocking withheld numbers.   

Highlighted

Hi @claire back

Can you retest this afternoon, the service has been added and removed. 

Highlighted
Popular Poster

I've just tested by dialling 141 before my number and the line is still rejecting withheld numbers as of 3:18pm this afternoon.  The message states: "Sorry.  The person you're calling does not accept calls from people who withhold their number. Thank you for calling" then the line disconnects.

Highlighted
Highlighted
Popular Poster

I've just retested at 9:47am again using 141 before my number and I'm getting the same message and instant disconnection.

Highlighted
Popular Poster

I think I clicked Best Answer by mistake.  The problem isn't solved.

Highlighted
Highlighted

Hi @claire back

Do you know the Make and Model of the handset that your dad is using ? 

Highlighted
Popular Poster

It's a BT8600. 

Highlighted

Hi @claire back

Looks like the phone handset may have BT guardian setup, the handset settings need to be changed to allow withheld numbers through.  The user manual will show how to do this. 

Thanks 

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Oh ok.  we'll give it a go.  Thank you.