Home Phone

Get help with your TalkTalk landline and calling features.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to receive calls at random times

Dondatta
Chatterbox
Message 6 of 6

Hi

I have an issue such that my talktalk landline just stops receiving calls. Whoever dials in just gets an engaged ringtone (a doo, doo, doo sound and then drops off). When this happens if I try to make a call I get no dial tone but as soon as I put down the handset and try again I can then make a call. After this then miraculously my phone starts to take incoming calls again for a period of time until the same happens again. 

Sometimes this happens a few hours later, someones a day later and sometimes a week later. 

I need help in this as it is getting extremely frustrating as there is no indication when the landline has stopped accepting calls. 

I have been on the phone with technical support for over an hour but no real solutions given. I get the feeling it must be the system somehow going into a sleep mode or the phone box splitter maybe putting the phone to sleep when it shouldn't but this is a brand new box fitted just in March. 

Initially I thought it was maybe the callsafe feature accidentally blocking some people but this normally gives a message to the person who has been blocked rather than just a engaged tone and it wouldn't explain why I wouldn't get a dial tone then either at that initial call before it "waking up" after I put down the phone once.  

Please can anyone help. 

S. Ahmad
0 Likes
5 REPLIES 5

Dondatta
Chatterbox
Message 1 of 6

Talk talk have been nothing short of a disgrace. Awful customer service and you might as well be talking to a brick wall. 

S. Ahmad
0 Likes

Dondatta
Chatterbox
Message 2 of 6

I have gone on chat and phoned about this issue several times and they keep making me go over the same steps over and over again. I don't know how many times an individual can explain something and to be ignored so often. Let me try and explain myself again in the hope that one person reads. I have tried all troubleshooting steps mentioned such as disconnect everything and try just the master socket. I explain over and over and over again that this issue, once I pick up my phone and put it down again then the issue goes away for a while and at an unbeknownst time it again rears its head to give anyone who calls me an engaged tone. It is only when they contact my personal mobile phone that I check my phone line again and there is no dial tone if I ring but again if I put the phone down again then it starts back up again. We have had 3 deaths in the family and each time it has been frustrating for others who are trying to phone the home phone only for it to be engaged and there is no indication at all to let me know that is not working. Please can you let me know the complaints process as well as 4 months is far too long. Sometimes 2 weeks go by and it isn't an issue but this week it has happened every single day sometimes several times in one day and this is not acceptable. 

S. Ahmad
0 Likes

Message 3 of 6

Hi,

I have updated my profile. Please can someone help on this issue because it is basically like having no phone line now. Important calls from family and friends are not coming in at all. All of a sudden the line will just hibernate and give an engaged tone to anyone ringing. If I pick up my handset and try to dial a number and then put the phone down it starts to work again but there is no way of knowing when the line hibernates again. It has been 4 months now and this issue is still there and no help from TalkTalk at all. 

S. Ahmad
0 Likes

Dondatta
Chatterbox
Message 4 of 6

Hi, I have updated my profile. I am still getting this issue at random times and it is getting frustrating.

S. Ahmad
0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 5 of 6

Hi Dondatta,

Can you please update your community profile to include your:

• Name
  • Telephone number
  • Alternative contact number

We'll then look into this further. Please do not post this information on this thread. Once you've updated your profile please post in your topic to confirm it's updated. 

Thanks

0 Likes