Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Unable to receive calls

7 REPLIES 7
Wizz Kid

Hi there, 

I've discovered today that I can't receive calls, though I seem to be able to make them just fine. 

I have a dial tone, though it seems a little quiet .

I've tried phoning out with no problem, though when I try to ring the landline from my mobile, it just seems to hang up /disconnect. 

This was brought to my attention today when my mother was unable to phone me... We only need the landline as a way for my mother to contact me.... She is rather old fashioned and doesn't do mobiles. 

Thanks

Edit :

I did have callsafe switched on, though I have turned it off today, though it hasn't made any difference to my problem

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi @SunHounD

I will look into this for you and get back to you. 

Can you also ensure that you have tested directly into the test socket

Regards

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

VDSLMK4NTE5CMK2FRONT2018.jpeg

Hi @OCE_Arne 

Just done some testing. 

The phone is connected to the master socket, which it a BT MK4 SOCKET (see attached image). 

Connected to the test socket the phone works fine (can make and receive calls). 

Connected to the master socket in the faceplate, cannot receive calls. 

Phone is connected DIRECTLY to the master socket, so looks like the problem lies with the BT faceplate. 

Thank you

Highlighted

Hi @SunHounD

We can arrange an engineer however it will probably be chargeable (£40) or you try to purchase a new faceplate and connect it yourself which may be cheaper.

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

@OCE_Arne

Hi

Can I ask why this will likely be chargeable? 

I was under the impression that faults with equipment outside the house, up to and including the master socket were not chargeable, and I would only be charged if the fault was somehow due to my equipment /fault... Ie: extensions, switches, altering of wiring etc.

The problem lies with the master phone socket faceplate, which is BT's equipment. 

Thank you

Highlighted

Hi @SunHounD

The face plate is classed internal wiring, as is extension sockets etc, This type of work is carried out by a TalkTalk engineer, Anything from the Test socket out to the exchange is BT's responsibility 

what is chargeable is outlined in this help page Engineer Charges.  

Regards

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

Hi @OCE_Arne

Then don't arrange an engineer, and I'll source one myself.

As a work around, I've currently got a micro filter installed in the test socket until I can get a new face plate.

Thanks for your help

Highlighted