Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Unable to receive some incoming calls on landline

9 REPLIES 9
Panda000
Chatterbox
Hi Team, really hoping you can help please.

It's come to light that we cannot receive incoming calls on the landline from relatives and have no idea what's wrong (one noted that the message said the"line wasn't able to connect", another received the message this they dialed an "invalid number message") and suspect we have missed other calls too due to this.

Both have always been able to call until now so it's not user error.

We have used tested the line using 3 separate mobiles: incoming calls seem to work.
We have also tested using the landline to make outbound (calling the same mobiles and they work too). My relative also received the outbound call in testing.

Would really appreciate any help & assistance with finding out what's wrong please.

Many Thanks

OCE_Debbie
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Panda000

I'm really sorry to hear this.

I've completed a line test which hasn't detected any faults.

Please can you dial 17070 from your landline and confirm if your telephone number is read back to you. If a different number is read back then please can you send me this via Private Message.

Is the person calling you using a speed dial (saved to their phone) or are they manually dialing your number?

Thanks

Debbie

Panda000
Chatterbox

Hi Debbie,

Thanks for getting back to me,

I dialled 17070 and can confirm my telephone number is read back to me.

One relative has dialled the number via landline and it doesn't go through.
Another relative has who used the mobile & has it saved correctly - when attempting the call it shows an "invalid number" error message. She has always had no issues calling before using that method.

Appreciate any other advice or guidance please,

Many Thanks,

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @Panda000 

The relative that tried making a mobile call to your landline - is their mobile using the Vodafone network?  I had another customer report that their TalkTalk Mobile (uses Vodafone network) and a friend with a Vodafone mobile got the 'invalid number' message.

If so this would appear to be an issue with inter-network connectivity or a simple failure of the directory lookup by Vodafone for landline numbers on the TalkTalk network.

Gondola - Volunteer 2017-2021

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

peterslondon
Popular Poster

Hi Panda, 

I am having a similar issue, mine appears to occur specifically when callers on Vodafone mobiles call the TalkTalk landline ( I have raised it to this forum).

TalkTalk mobiles also use the Vodafone mobile network, so we have a TalkTalk mobile which also cannot call the landline, the error messages are the same as the ones you have described.

If you can check with the friends / relatives calling that it is Vodafone they are using, than we can get TalkTalk to finally acknowledge that there is an issue that needs escalating, so far it is proving very difficult after multiple calls and web chats with their support teams, as this problem does not fall into any "normal" category of technical issue.

We are in the North Cheam / Worcester Park area (Sutton Borough), in case it is a localised issue with a particular exchange, many thanks.

Best regards

Peter

Panda000
Chatterbox

Hi @Gondola & @peterslondon ,

I can confirm it is a vodafone mobile so that may explain the issue for that one 😞 - is there anything I need to do to escalate this as it's very inconvenient with everything going on...

Not sure why the landline call wouldn't go through, I'm told it's a Talktalk phone line in-case that might be the issue (it's an older relative so more important to be honest).

Many Thanks,

Gondola
Community Star

Hi Panda000 

Don't worry, OCE_Debbie is on the case for you.

To me it looks like the landline number has been dropped from the number porting lookup database. Debbie will be able to get the issue investigated.

Gondola - Volunteer 2017-2021

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

OCE_Arne

Hi @Panda000 

All our line tests are not detecting any faults on your line.   

You mention that the incoming call is from another TalkTalk Customer, do you know if they are able to call anyone else?  Have they reported the issue to us? 

The vodafone issue also reported by @peterslondon may have resolved itself as he has advised that calls are coming through, can you test that also. 

Thanks

Panda000
Chatterbox

Hi @OCE_Arne 

Thanks for testing and doing this, I can confirm both issues seem to have been resolved now following test calls tonight from both relatives.

I'm not sure if the root cause was the same but I'm glad we can speak to each other! 🙂

Many thanks for performing the tests and trying to track down the cause (and thanks to the others who advised) it's much appreciated!

OCE_Arne