Home Phone

Get help with your TalkTalk landline and calling features.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

area code for local calls

redmikekite
Conversation Starter
Message 37 of 37

Hi Over the last week I am having to put the area code in for my local calls its just started gradually doing this over the last week. Ive always just had to dial the number for local calls without having to put the area code in. My phone book on my landline phone does not work anymore for local calls unles i edit everyone and put the local area code in front of the number

any ideas?

regards

Mike

0 Likes
36 REPLIES 36

AG Bell
First Timer
Message 2 of 37

Its working OK again !!!!

One post from EH 😊

Although i had been away the last two days,maybe it was already fixed when i posted,hopefully thats the end of it 🙂

0 Likes

AG Bell
First Timer
Message 3 of 37

Yes,at last found people with the same local area code problem.

Had this going on for about 6 weeks 01543 area

I cant believe such a small thing as this can be so annoying ,and to make it even more annoying it was intermittent and did not affect all local numbers dialled.

Customers of other providers don't seem to be having this problem here.

I'm still hoping i don't have to re program my phone book.

If its nationwide for TalkTalk somebody knows whats going on.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 37

Hi many thanks for your advice I have a Netgear nighthawks router it cost me around £150 mate all the difference the issues I've had are at the cabinet which is open reach anyway I've switched the router of for around 30 mins and hey presto back up to speed many thanks and I must agree the community support is the way to go as opposed to contacting talk talk direct

Regards Mike

0 Likes

Message 5 of 37

I've just checked and the fault appears to have been cleared. Let's hope it lasts!

Regarding your broadband speed. We've not had any permanent problems with speed for some time now. A few years back we getting constant dropouts on our internet radios. TT said there were no problems but the dropouts were still apparent. In desperation, I forked out £150 odd on an industrial sized TP Link router and relegated the TT item to its packing in the cupboard. Since then we have virtually no dropouts at all. Internet speed is round about the 35Mb promised by TT and is adequate to stream 4K movies from Netflix. It might be worth trying another router or switching your existing one off for 35 minutes. I seem to remember this was one of the 'fixes' recommended on here for speed and dropout problems.

The only problem I can really fault TT for is their telephone support. I am reluctant to use this because, most of the time, the accents of the agents is so 'heavy' it is really hard work to understand them. On the other hand, the support given by the TT agents on this forum has been generally very good.

Good Luck!

0 Likes

redmikekite
Conversation Starter
Message 6 of 37

Bt were on about doing this a few years ago due to a shortage of numbers but it never happened, funny they mentioned ofcom they are just a regulatory body and mine is now working ok for a least the last few days so I don’t believe what they are telling you otherwise mine would not have started working but I now have an issue as my broadband speed has dropped from 40kbps into the router to 29kbps and I’m now looking to change provider after being with talktalk for about ten years now as over the last 12 months I’ve had nothing but problems

0 Likes

Message 7 of 37

Hello Arne

Yes, that's fine for outgoing calls but we are concerned that we are missing incoming calls  from people that are unaware of the fault. Especially so if this is an 'Openreach' problem when callers may not be TT customers. This seems to be very protracted. Five weeks plus to fix a fault and no information is really becoming unacceptable!

Rgds

0 Likes

Message 8 of 37

Hi 

Sorry still no update on this issue, All we can advise is to continue using the area codes when dialing. 

Regards

0 Likes

Message 9 of 37

It's now 5 weeks since the first post on this subject (and the fault has existed for some weeks before that) and STILL no update.....Can we have some action on rectifying this fault please.

0 Likes

Message 10 of 37

Hi

I've been advised that this issue is still under further investigation. Apologies for the delays.

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 11 of 37

Hi

I have requested further information on this and I will post back on this thread as soon as I receive a reply.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 12 of 37

Any update? Had this problem now for 2 weeks and have spent hours on a number of calls to Customer Services with no joy on behalf of my elderly mother (I also have the same issue with my TT landline). The BT engineer says it is a TT issue. 

Clare
0 Likes

Message 13 of 37

I am having the same problem with 01395 numbers (also know of another TT customer with same problem).

TT advised after an hour long call that there is a shortage of numbers hence the reason for having to now use dialling code. They mentioned OFCOM but there is no mention on their website that this particular area is affected.

Any thoughts?

Clare
0 Likes

Message 14 of 37

Hi 

The only update I could find was that the issue was still under investigation, and the only advice we can give is to continue to use the area codes for calls until further notice. 

Sorry for the inconvenience caused.  

0 Likes

Message 15 of 37

Mine is still doing it but not all of the time I’ve given up now

0 Likes

Message 16 of 37

Surely there must be somebody within the TT organization who can tell us if this 'feature' is now permanent or if there is a fault?

0 Likes

Message 17 of 37
0 Likes

Magpie99
First Timer
Message 18 of 37

This is happening in 01235 area.  It started about 2 weeks ago. I called last week and Talktalk said they would give me a technical call back the next day between 2 and 4pm but did not.

I tried a few numbers today in my area, some got through without the code, another needed the code.  Before calling them again, I looked up the Community messages.  It seems to be a widespread problem. Can Talktalk fix it?

0 Likes

Message 19 of 37

yeah its strange its happened to alot of customers in different areas surley their cannot be the same fault in all of these areas. I have been a tt customer for many years and internet has always been good up until the last year also I felt that customer service had improved also but as of late its not so good. My neighbour has sky broadband and their connection is much faster yet they connect to the same fibre cabinet as me and they are paying less so maybe its time for a change. On a positive note this community has always been very helpful and informative thats probably why i have stayed with them for such a long time. The downside for me im limited with the number of providers as im in a rural area and fibre to the premisies is not available.

regards

Mike

0 Likes

Message 20 of 37

The technical agent I spoke to said just that but Arne stated in one post that it wasn't correct. If having to dial a geographic code before a local call is going to be the norm why haven't TT told their customers? They're quick enough to send emails when bills are due! 😋

0 Likes