Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

dead phone, line permanently open. Vulnerable due to age and diabetes

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Sightseer

I am unable to make or receive any telephone calls as my line appears to be permanently open. The last time this happened, (a scam caller hadn't hung up after calling) an engineer from Openreach had to disconnect me at the Devonport exchange and reconnect me.

Can you please arrange to have this done again.

I am close to 70 and have diabetes and don't own a mobile, my family are scattered over the Country and are unable to contact me.

I've tried the master socket, replacing the telephone lead and using a different phone borrowed from a neighbour, line remains 'open'

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi

A test is showing a loop fault, thats usually where there are 2 wires touching.  This can be caused by a fault in the phone or on the line etc.

If you ever suspect a caller has kept the line open, unplug the phone from the socket for about 30 minutes.

The equipment at the exchange will detect no phone connected and close the line.

With regards to the fault I'm picking up on the line today, do you know if you have a 'Test Socket' or have access to another handset to test ?

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

STAY HOME      -      PROTECT THE NHS      -      SAVE LIVES

Highlighted
Sightseer

I used the test socket with a neighbours phone and it didn't work. I unplugged the phone twice, once for 35 minutes the next for an hour. The line is still 'open', just a sort of 'hiss'.

Highlighted

Hi

Engineer has been arranged for Friday 22nd PM (1-6).

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Highlighted
Sightseer

Finally fixed at above 3:45 today. Many thanks for your assistance.

Highlighted

Hi

glad this has been resolved for you.

Regards,

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips