Home Phone

Get help with your TalkTalk landline and calling features.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Check Phone Line" constantly displayed

rcd19
Team Player
Message 12 of 12

Looking for some advice here, please.

In the past few days my two home phone handsets have constantly displayed the message "Check Phone Line".

The handsets had been working fine for 18 months and this issue has just occurred all of a sudden. I've tried disconnecting and reconnecting all of the handset (and even router) wires.

Unsure what the issue is, perhaps nothing to do with TalkTalk? Unless there are similar issues in my Aberdeen area (works ongoing)?

Look forward to hearing back, thanks.

0 Likes
11 REPLIES 11

Message 1 of 12

Hello,

Thanks for the update and I'm glad to hear that the fault has been resolved. I can also see that your compensation question has been answered in the post below.

Thanks

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Message 2 of 12

This page explains automatic compensation, @rcd19 for total loss of either phone or broadband service:

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/About-your-auto-compensation-credit/ta-p/2326583

They have a useful chart showing how it's calculated:

20210630_195951.jpg

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.

rcd19
Team Player
Message 3 of 12

@Karl-TalkTalk I've received an update to say that the faults have been addressed today by BT Openreach.

I would say, however, that 7 days without a landline has been pretty unacceptable - especially as I'm heavily reliant on my landline (now more than ever). I'd like to be compensated here, please.

I look forward to hearing back from you again.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 12

Hi

Openreach have advised that an engineer has been scheduled and will be out tomorrow (30th) to attend to the fault.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

0 Likes

Message 5 of 12

Hi

The fault is still in hand with Openreach and awaiting repair. They are still looking into the fault o the line.

This can take longer if they identify that an underground engineer is required or if network equipment needs to be replaced to restore service.  They are within their SLA at the moment, but I'll check the report a little later today.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

rcd19
Team Player
Message 6 of 12

@Karl-TalkTalk landline still not fixed, can you please chase them up?

This is the sixth day without my landline - will my bill this month be reflective of this? I'm disappointed and really reliant on my landline, that's all

0 Likes

Message 7 of 12

Hi

Already done, I logged it with Openreach this morning, I've got the Operneach Ref also. 

I've just checked the fault report for any updates etc and can see that Openreach have tested the circuit at 07:27 and confirmed the distance to the fault down the line and this is now waiting assignment to a local engineer.  We usually give them 24hrs to pick up and get an engineer out to the line, so can chase them for any updates first thing in the morning if it has not been fixed today of course.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

rcd19
Team Player
Message 8 of 12

Thank you @Karl-TalkTalk 

Would it be possible to get an update as to when this has been done? I'm conscious that this is now the 5th day that my landline has been unusable....

0 Likes

Message 9 of 12

Hi @rcd19

Tests are showing  fault.

I've logged this out to BT Openreach for a Non Appointed engineer - Non appointed means the engineer will be dispatched to look at the line without requiring an appointment be made with you to visit your property.  

Thanks

Karl.

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

rcd19
Team Player
Message 10 of 12

Thank you for responding @Gliwmaeden2 

I can wait until Monday, if required.

However, I would add some further info:

The home phone cannot make outbound calls (silent after keying in numbers, nothing further/no connecting, yet the seconds on the handset tick by as if it's connected). Inbound calls ring, can seemingly be answered, but without then hearing someone at the other end (silent after answering - yet the seconds tick by again).

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Message 11 of 12

Staff are away till Monday, @rcd19.

Chat available on this page. Blue background banner shows when available:

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Our-update-on-Coronavirus/ta-p/2468300

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.