Home Phone

Get help with your TalkTalk landline and calling features.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

static noise on landline

TTimmins1
Whizz Kid
Message 25 of 25

Hi i want to follow up an issue and see if you can help me. Ever since people been calling me on the house phone/landline they said there is bad static noise or a bad line but mainly static when someone calls me on the mobile it doesn’t sound clear just bad sound when they hear me talking.

0 Likes
24 REPLIES 24

ferguson
Community Star
Message 1 of 25

OK, nevertheless do you have any extension sockets in your home, whether in use, or not?

0 Likes

TTimmins1
Whizz Kid
Message 2 of 25

They are cordless yes as they don't connect with any wiring

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 3 of 25

Are they cordless phones? If so is the main base station anywhere near other electrical devices that may be causing interference? Otherwise, have you actually tried at the test socket as suggested i.e. just the phone and nothing else connected there?

0 Likes

TTimmins1
Whizz Kid
Message 4 of 25

i dont have different phones as i only got just the two phones thats all 

0 Likes

Message 5 of 25

Hi TTimmins1

I can see that ferguson has provided good advice. Could you test a different phone at the test socket to see if the noise is still present?

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 6 of 25

@TTimmins1 We have already recommended that you check at the test socket and with a different handset if possible. If all is well then that points to an internal wiring issue.

Apologies @Debbie-TalkTalk for crossing posts with you. 

Message 7 of 25

Hi TTimmins1

If the fault is found to be with Openreach maintained equipment then no charges should be applied.

Further information can be found here Engineer charges

0 Likes

Message 8 of 25

is there a way to fix it without an engineer visit like to check it myself on the test socket?

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 9 of 25

Ah OK. In which case you should look to your internal wiring as to what is causing the problem. 

0 Likes

TTimmins1
Whizz Kid
Message 10 of 25

thanks but i dont want an engineer visit just wanted to make sure the line is all clear with faults but thanks for letting me know 

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 11 of 25

It won't cost anything if the fault is found to be on the Openreach network. Otherwise, look here:

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Engineer-charges/ta-p/2207291

0 Likes

TTimmins1
Whizz Kid
Message 12 of 25

how much would that be to have an engineer?

0 Likes

Message 13 of 25

Hi TTimmins1

Sorry for the delay.

I've completed a line test which hasn't detected any faults - Line test is clear.

If the noise on the line is still present with a different phone at the test socket (with the router removed) then the next step will be to arrange an Openreach engineer visit.

Thanks

Debbie

Message 14 of 25

I don't see it being weather-related because even if there was good weather and bad weather it still has a static noise 

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 15 of 25

I don't doubt that there is a fault of some kind, what I was trying to establish was whether this was likely to be an external issue, or more likely caused by internal wiring. 

Have you noticed if the issue is weather related at all?

TTimmins1
Whizz Kid
Message 16 of 25

I done that but when people do call me the static would be there but when they call another time the static is gone. But it tends to happen and then goes. I would think a line test is needed if there is a fault or not. 

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 17 of 25

@TTimmins1 I don't understand what that means?

What I am asking is that you temporarily remove the faceplate on your master socket which will have a test socket behind there. Connect just a single phone handset at the test socket , nothing else, no splitter, or microfilter. Try a couple of calls, both in and out. Let us know if the static noise persists. You can then reconnect as normal and await further advice. 

0 Likes

TTimmins1
Whizz Kid
Message 18 of 25

I cant put the phone line in the test socket as its connected to upstairs and it wont reach downstairs as it's joined in different places

0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Message 19 of 25

Plug in directly at the test socket, @TTimmins1.

Staff will be back on board on Monday. 

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes

Message 20 of 25

but with connecting the phone line its connected to i think a telephone line cable i think a microfilter or dsl idk that connects downstairs to a test socket its not a splitter its something else but its a phone line cable its definitely connected to this but not directly at the test socket 

TTimmins1_0-1632688946698.jpeg

0 Likes