Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Missing desk top icon

75 REPLIES 75
Highlighted
Philosopher

On all three PCs here the latest version of Online Defence, which had shown a black icon, now shows no icon.

Also there is no icon for this app in the systray.

When I look for the icon I discover that

The file %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\F-Secure\latebound\100\Customization\mysa.ico contains no icons.

surfing from my 10 years old Dell Inspiron 545, running Windows 10 and using a Realtek RTL8811AU Wireless LAN USB Network Adapter to connect to Sagemcom FAST 5364 router
Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi jbuchanangb, you shouldn't have Online Defence running. That's an old version of Fsecure provided by Virgin Media Ireland. Where did you download that from?

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Highlighted
Philosopher

It calls itself TalkTalk Online Defence and has a black icon.

I have run Supersafe Boost for a long time, and until a few weeks ago it had a green icon. Then one by one all my devices (3 PCs and an iPad) automatically updated themselves to Online Defence.

This is it what it says it is:

online defence.jpg

I just assumed it was a new release of the same product with a new name.

Just the icon disappeared. I have diagnosed that issue now. The icon file was a PNG file saved with the wrong file extension. I saved it again as an icon, deleted the incorrect file and replaced it with the new one in the proper folder.

But if somehow my product has automatically implemented an incorrect version, then there is a bigger problem.

surfing from my 10 years old Dell Inspiron 545, running Windows 10 and using a Realtek RTL8811AU Wireless LAN USB Network Adapter to connect to Sagemcom FAST 5364 router
Highlighted
Problem Solver

FWIW - My SSB changed to Online Defense a couple of weeks ago on my PC and mobile. Black icons instead of green.

Then a couple of days ago my PC (Win 10) icon disappeared and was replaced by a "blank". My mobile is still showing the black icon.

EDIT - p.s. I have run SSB for several years without problems. The change from SSB to Online Defense was done automatically (I'm guessing) during a scheduled upgrade check.

Highlighted

I've not been informed of any changes and our account manager at Fsecure wasn't aware either. I'll dig further and come back to let you know what's happening. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Highlighted

Ok it looks like there's been a failure to communicate changes. What you're seeing is correct, that's the new branding for SSB. 

Ady

Highlighted
Problem Solver

OK cheers @OCE_Ady 

Just need the icon problem, solution as identified by @jbuchanangb correcting at some point.

Highlighted

I'll let them know about the issue once I've got all the staff informed of the changes. 

Ady

Highlighted
Philosopher

It's really odd that you guys didn't know that the new release had a new brand image. Serious communication breakdown there.

When it first came out the new icon was OK, it just went missing a day or so ago. The file

%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\F-Secure\latebound\100\Customization\mysa.ico 

is a PNG file not an ICO file.

Also there used to by an icon in the systray to enable to open the dashboard, this also seems to have gone missing.

Here is the icon! (in JPG format!)

mysa.jpg

I have now noticed that the systray does have a blank space in it where the icon should be, and that when you mouse over it it identifies the blank space as TalTalk Online Defence.

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

I'm having the same issue. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling, but am missing the desktop icon. It's just blank (white) and an empty icon on the taskbar next to the clock.

Highlighted
Participant

Exactly the same with me, anyone no if talktalk are fixing this problem ?

Charles Computers & Repairing Computers F1 Motor Racing
Highlighted
Wizz Kid

jbuchanangb

How did you get the icon back? I have the same issue.

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

I half done it, lol. I saved your file and used an online converter to change it from a jpg to an ico file. The default one was mysa.ico and was blank white. There is still no icon/symbol in the taskbar, though.

Highlighted
Philosopher

@Gelbs I'm glad that worked for you. In essence that is what I did. I found that the mysa.ico was incorrectly a PNG file, so I converted it to an ICO file and replaced it. There is probably a similar issue somewhere with the icon for the systray.

Considering that the OCEs here did not even know that SSB had been rebranded as Online Defence, I think it might be a while before these cosmetic things get fixed.

Hi all, our not knowing about the rebrand won't delay the fix for you anymore than it has already. I've raised the issue to the Product Manager already. I've also made Fsecure aware. 

Ady

Highlighted
Community Star

Andy.

I also have the same issue.  Icons were ok under 17.6

After update to 17.7  all the icons turned blank, with exactly the same errors reported on this thread. Even un-installed and re-installed using the downloaded application from TT website.

Highlighted
Community Star

Agree.  Same here on all my systems.

Highlighted
Philosopher

After restarting my PC the systray icon has re-appeared without my having taken any further corrective action.

On the other 2 PCs without corrective action the icons a still blank in both places.

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

Same thing has happened with me. It's now appearing again. Might of been where I did the icon manually.

Highlighted

I've alerted the product manager to this issue. I'll post back once I hear from the team.

Ady