Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

"You may have downloaded a virus on one or more of your devices"

ANSWERED
Highlighted
Popular Poster

@ITTroll wrote:

For those wanting to try out alternative DNS servers then Google's servers are probably the most popular; 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.8.4

However, if you'd rather not use Google then Cloudflare now also offer public DNS which is very fast and topping the benchmarking charts; 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1

Both are much faster than those from your typical ISP, maintain privacy and are unfiltered. More information here:

You can either configure a single device to use these, or configure your router so that all devices in your household use the same settings.

I just checked my routers DNS protocol setting and it's already set to google 8.8.8.8

Are you saying if it is I shouldn't be getting the TT notification?

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

@uguay wrote:

I just checked my routers DNS protocol setting and it's already set to google 8.8.8.8

Well TalkTalk have been rather secretive about exactly how this works and what data they have mined in order to notify customers. They do however say that using alternative DNS stops HomeSafe from working. It could be that this new monitoring method works regardless of your DNS setting, we just don't know. As you are already using alternative DNS and you received the email then it certainly looks like this might be the case.

I guess you changed the DNS on your router at some point as this certainly isn't the default setting. It might be worth double checking that your devices are configured to use the DNS provided by your router and not something different.

Highlighted
Popular Poster

@ITTroll wrote:

@uguay wrote:

Well TalkTalk have been rather secretive about exactly how this works and what data they have mined in order to notify customers. They do however say that using alternative DNS stops HomeSafe from working. It could be that this new monitoring method works regardless of your DNS setting, we just don't know. As you are already using alternative DNS and you received the email then it certainly looks like this might be the case.

I guess you changed the DNS on your router at some point as this certainly isn't the default setting. It might be worth double checking that your devices are configured to use the DNS provided by your router and not something different.

Yes, I remember changing the DNS setting to google some time back as I was having some sort of issue with the default one, I can't quite remember what. So as you say, it certainly looks like this new monitoring method somehow bypasses that setting.

I only use a windows laptop and a couple of apple devices on the router and I was assuming only the windows device could have initiated TT's flagging as Apple are  supposed to be virus proof. But if it's to do with inadvertently visiting TT blacklisted sites rather than what's actually happening on the device I suppose it could be any device triggering. I've never changed DNS setting on the apple devices.  In fact I'm fairly sure I only ever changed the router in network & sharing centre, I'm not sure how to check what specific devices are configured to use other than that, and a cursory google didn't help in that respect. I'll probably just have to grin and bear with it.

Thanks for your input.

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

@uguay wrote:

I only use a windows laptop and a couple of apple devices on the router and I was assuming only the windows device could have initiated TT's flagging as Apple are  supposed to be virus proof. But if it's to do with inadvertently visiting TT blacklisted sites rather than what's actually happening on the device I suppose it could be any device triggering.

Apple iOS mobile devices are pretty immune from viruses, but Apple Macs are still vulnerable. But if this is just based on visiting blacklisted sites, then as you said, anything could trigger it.

If you only changed the DNS on your router then all your Apple devices should just be refering to your router (and so also using Google DNS). To check, go into Settings > Wi-Fi and tap on the info icon alongside your network. DNS should be set to Automatic. Tapping on this will show you what it is using which should match your routers IP address. Your devices refer to your router, then your router refers to Google.

The other thing I do is to remotely connect into machines at home via a VPN on non-standard network ports. I guess this could be viewed as potentially unwanted activity and trigger something. However, I am guessing this is not so common and not something that others who received the email are doing.

Highlighted
Popular Poster

@ITTroll wrote:

@uguay wrote:

I only use a windows laptop and a couple of apple devices on the router and I was assuming only the windows device could have initiated TT's flagging as Apple are  supposed to be virus proof. But if it's to do with inadvertently visiting TT blacklisted sites rather than what's actually happening on the device I suppose it could be any device triggering.

Apple iOS mobile devices are pretty immune from viruses, but Apple Macs are still vulnerable. But if this is just based on visiting blacklisted sites, then as you said, anything could trigger it.

If you only changed the DNS on your router then all your Apple devices should just be refering to your router (and so also using Google DNS). To check, go into Settings > Wi-Fi and tap on the info icon alongside your network. DNS should be set to Automatic. Tapping on this will show you what it is using which should match your routers IP address. Your devices refer to your router, then your router refers to Google.

The other thing I do is to remotely connect into machines at home via a VPN on non-standard network ports. I guess this could be viewed as potentially unwanted activity and trigger something. However, I am guessing this is not so common and not something that others who received the email are doing.

Hi,

Thanks again for the advice and tips.

I checked the iphone and ipad and following your instructions and under DNS they just list the routers default IP address. But on the PC through control panel > wireless> internet protocol version 4, its set as per screenshot below, (showing 8.8.8.8). I don't know if this is right, or whether it's just the laptop I changed rather than the router. Forgive my ignorance. 

DNS..PNG

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

That is just the DNS on your laptop and so will only apply to your laptop. If you want to use Google DNS on your other devices you will need to either add the same settings on each individual device, or make the change on your router so it affects all devices.

How you do it on your router depends on the model you have. TalkTalk do provide instructions for this - note that DNS cannot be changed on the D-Link 3782.

https://help2.talktalk.co.uk/using-3rd-party-dns

Highlighted
Popular Poster

@ITTroll wrote:

That is just the DNS on your laptop and so will only apply to your laptop. If you want to use Google DNS on your other devices you will need to either add the same settings on each individual device, or make the change on your router so it affects all devices.

How you do it on your router depends on the model you have. TalkTalk do provide instructions for this - note that DNS cannot be changed on the D-Link 3782.

https://help2.talktalk.co.uk/using-3rd-party-dns

Ok, that's good to know. I have a Huawei model so I can go ahead and follow the instructions on the link.

Thanks for all the help, much appreciated.

Highlighted
Wizz Kid
Linus Tech Tips has uploaded a video about the performance and privacy benefits of using the new DNS service from Cloudflare (1.1.1.1).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqnvrjgyEMc