Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Anyone Installed Safari 12?

33 REPLIES 33
Stoker
Super Duper Contributor

I've just upgraded to Safari 12 and it seems to consider the browsing extension as unsafe and discards it.

Anyone else come across this?

Are TalkTalk/F-Secure aware of this and doing anything about it?

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @Stoker

SuperSafe Boost from f-Secure is supported on Safari 8 to my knowledge.

The issue with Safari 12 is down to Apple. Apple have said that Safari 12 deliberately blocks support for legacy Safari extensions that come from outside the Safari Extensions Gallery.  Apple are restricting what you can do with the Safari browser to Apple approved extensions. I've yet to see any comment from f-Secure that they're going to be able to work around this Apple restriction.

Fortunately, other browsers are available.

Gondola - Community contributor

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

Coffee_Head_21
Chatterbox

Just installed Safari version 12.0 myself and having exactly the same problem. I have no issues with other extensions so I hope F-Secure will sort the problem ASAP. At the very least, they need to stop saying the extension can be used until it actually can be. At the moment TalkTalk Supersafe Preferences states "Browsing protection features need a brower extension to work properly. You can install the browser extension for your current browser here." and below that a button that states "Install browser extension". Except if you follow that it downloads then won't work because Safari blocks it. I don't have any other browsers installed so it's just wrong stating the extension works with the current browser since it clearly doesn't.

Some people, like myself, have tried other browsers but prefer Safari for various reasons.

Gondola
Community Star

Hi Stoker

As you might have expected, I've drawn this question to the attention of the TalkTalk Support Team to see what TalkTalk and f-Secure comment is to the Safari 12 blocking of the SuperSafe extension.

We'll see what they say.

Stoker
Super Duper Contributor
Thanks for that Gondola.

I think f-secure need to do whatever to make their offering compatible with Safari 12.
Community Team

Hi Stoker, I've dropped a message over to the Fsecure team. I'll post back once I get an update for you. 

ferguson
Community Star
Community Team

I've just had confirmation that Fsecure are readying a new release for us. I'm just waiting for confirmation of the date. 

Stoker
Super Duper Contributor
Thanks for that Day.

I don't seem to be subscribed to this thread even though I started it.

Do I have to do something to be automatically notified of new posts?
Gondola
Community Star

Hi Stoker

Subscription settings. Quick answer for this thread. Scroll up to the top of the thread and to the right of the Blue Reply button are three vertical menu dots. Tap or hover the cursor over and you'll see a menu including the option to Subscribe or Unsubscribe to Notifications.  The notification feed is under your avatar image top right of the page under the alarm icon.

For email notifications in your Community Profile (Click here) make sure you have the 'Do not email me' unticked. In your Subscriptions, under the Notification Settings tab there's a whole range of tick box options to enjoy!

Stoker
Super Duper Contributor
Thanks Gondola
Community Team

Hi Stoker, I chased the product manager for an update yesterday and am still waiting on their answer. I'll carry on chasing them until we get a date. 

Stoker
Super Duper Contributor
Okay

Thanks Ady
Community Team

To add to that I'm told that Fsecure is working well with MacOs Mojave. If you're able to run that you'll find you have no problems. If not we're still working to get this sorted. 

Stoker
Super Duper Contributor
Thanks for letting me know.

I will be upgrading to Mojave at some point but not just yet.
Community Team

I'll be in touch as soon as I know more.

Coffee_Head_21
Chatterbox

I've just installed Mojave and can confirm the problem still exists. I didn't actually expect the change to Mojave to solve anything given the problem is related to Safari 12, not Sierra, High Sierra, Mojave or any other version of MacOS.

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @Coffee_Head_21

Two weeks ago F-Secure were still reporting that browsing protection is not yet supported in the Safari 12 browser.  And saying "This is a known issue, and our development team is working on the solution. The fix should be ready in SAFE's next release (17.4)"... (on which SuperSafe Boost is based)... "Although there is no fixed date for the next SAFE release, you can expect it in October 2018."

In the meantime, we recommend that you use one of the alternative browsers (Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox) to have access to their browsing protection features.

I see that F-Secure SAFE 17.4 has been released. But the article on browsing protection remains unchanged. So, I've asked Ady for an update from F-Secure.

Community Team

Hi stoker, I've sent a chaser to the Fsecure product manager. I'll post back as soon as I get a reply for you. 

Stoker
Super Duper Contributor
Okay, thanks Ady