cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

SuperSafe boost slowing down google chrome.

ANSWERED
25 REPLIES 25
Problem Solver

So, I have always had the Supersafe boost, in its many forms over the time I have been with TalkTalk. Over the last 3-4 weeks I have noticed that when using google chrome, on PC, that the web pages were taking sometimes up to 5 times longer to load then normal. 

After trying many things, like clearing cache, resetting chrome to default and even reinstalling it, I still had the same issue. Then one day while I was waiting for a page to load I thought about the, (F-Secure Browsing Protection), that comes as part of the Supersafe boost, so I turned it off. There was the problem. The Browsing protection, for what ever reason, has started to slow down the loading of web pages. Now whether there has been an update on the Supersafe boost which is doing this, or it is an update on Google Chrome, I don't know. What I do know is it is driving me crazy waiting for web pages to load, that used to load straight away. Please can this be past over to the relevent department to be looked at and rectified, as the only other alternative for me will be to use another type of internet security that doesn't keep slowing down the load time of web pages.

Regrds

Chalkiejim

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Chalkiejim, I'm happy to ask the questions for you. First you know the drill I've got to ask you the questions they'll ask me. Is it affecting other browsers or just Chrome? Is it affecting all devices? If not what OS is on the affected device and what version is it?

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Highlighted
Problem Solver

Hi OCE Ady,

I'm running Windows 7, fully up to date. Also running the latest version of Chrome. 

It doesn't seem to affect Microsoft IE, just Chrome.

What I did notice is that when a web page is trying to load, down in the bottom left hand corner a thin banner appears, writting comes up saying, "waiting for extension browsing by F-Secure.....".

Now from this, I would say it is the F-Secure extension causing the problem, as when I turn it off the web pages load fine. If you need anything else, just ask.

Highlighted

Ok there is one more task I have to ask you to complete for the techs. They've asked to have you run the FSDIAG tool and send the results to supersafeboost@talktalkplc.com

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Highlighted
Problem Solver

I've done that now. Wasn't sure if I was supposed to write anything in the e-mail.

Highlighted

Thanks. I'd expect them to reply direct to you with any instructions or fixes they have. Please let me know how you get on. 

Highlighted
Problem Solver

Will do.

Highlighted

Thanks and if you don't hear post back and I'll chase them for you. That said they're normally very efficient. 

Highlighted
Problem Solver

Hello OCE Ady,

Well it's been over a month now and nothing back. I am still having the same issues unless I disable the extension. I don't know if it made a difference that I sent it using a different e-mail address. Very dissappointed with the service from there part.

Highlighted

Could you do me a favour and send the FSDIAG again please. Make sure your forum name is in the subject after the details of what you're sending. I'm chasing them, but want to make sure they've got the info. I'm very surprised they didn't respond. 

Highlighted
Problem Solver
Solution

I might leave it for a bit. After I had messaged you, I wondered if there might had been something wrong with the F-Secure sofware, so I uninstalled it.

When I reinstalled it with a new license it a looked a little different to me. Since I have been using it again, it seems to be opening web pages ok.

I don't know why I hadn't been prompted to update, like normal, but I think that might have been the problem.

I will give it a couple of weeks to see how it goes and then report back to you.

Highlighted

That's great. Thanks for posting back to let us know it's sorted. Keep us updated on your progress. 

Highlighted
Problem Solver

Wiil do.

Highlighted
Problem Solver

Here is an update.

Things are better than what they were. The pages I was having the most trouble with seem to load a bit faster now.

Highlighted

You don't sound entirely happy. Is the speed of page loading still bothering you. 

Highlighted
Problem Solver

What the problem is, is that I know it is The F-Secure Extension which is slowing it down, as when I disable it, it is fine. I done what you told me to last time and sent them that file. I even put on the e-mail that TalkTalks OCE Ady had told me to mail it to them. So they have no excuse coming to you if they don't know what I'm talking about.

Highlighted

Chalkiejim

Which webpages do you have the most trouble with? Does it make any difference how many tabs you have open in Chrome?

Chris

Highlighted
Problem Solver

The worst one is when I go on Aol mail. You can see in the bottom left corner. It comes up waiting for F-Secure browsing extension.

This is the first and only tab I will have open at any one time.

Highlighted

When you uninstalled it did you use the Fsecure uninstall tool?

Highlighted
Problem Solver

I don't think I did.