cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

TalkTalk Online Defence -- Browser Protection Facility not working with "Apple Safari" Browser

24 REPLIES 24
Highlighted
Team Player

Hi There!

I hope somebody out there can help me out with the following issue:  

I have noticed that, for the last two or three updates that have been issued for the "TalkTalk Online Defence" Software, the Browser Extension that enables the "Browsing Protection" Facility of this software to work, will not function with the "Apple Safari" Web Browser.  This seems to be the case, even though the relevant Browser Extension is fully-enabled and has also been installed correctly.  Whenever I start up the "Apple Safari" Web browser, I keep seeing a message that the Browser Extension for the "Browsing Protection" Facility is missing, even though I know full-well that it has been installed correctly and is fully-enabled.  

For your information, I use an "Apple iMac 21.5" Standalone Desktop Computer, which is nearly six years old, and has the latest version of the "Mac OSX" Operating System installed on it, which I think is Version 10.15.5.  To the best of my knowledge, I also have the latest version of the "Apple Safari" Web Browser installed on this computer.  

Besides the "Apple Safari" Web Browser, I also use "Mozilla Firefox" and "Google Chrome" on the same computer and have the latest versions of these Web Browsers installed, to the best of my knowledge.  I can also confirm that the Browser Extensions needed for the "Browsing Protection" Facility of the "TalkTalk Online Defence" Software to work with "Mozilla Firefox" and "Google Chrome", are functioning correctly.  

I also occasionally have an Apple-based message that comes up, saying I have software installed on my computer, which is incompatible with the "Mac OSX" Operating System.  The main culprit here also happens to be the "TalkTalk Online Defence" Software.  

If anyone out there has any advice and/or suggestions on how to resolve the issues outlined above, I would very much appreciate it, and thank you in advance to anyone out there who can assist me with these matters.  

Yours sincerely

Jonathan Wilkinson (Xing2016)

J R Wilkinson
Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Jonathan, what the techs will ask me is to get you to run FSDIAG when you're having the problem, so I'll save time and ask you to run it first and then we can speed up diagnosis of the problem. 

Run FSDIAG from  https://www.f-secure.com/gb-en/home/support/tools and then send the results to me at supersafeboost@talktalkplc.com with your username in the subject bar. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Highlighted
Team Player

Hi OCE_Ady

Thank you very much for your email and also for providing me with a link to a Troubleshooting and Diagnostics Tool which is made by "F-Secure", who also make the "TalkTalk Online Defence" Software.  This is very much appreciated.  

I can confirm that, as requested, I've downloaded, installed and run this Troubleshooting and Diagnostics Tool on my computer and have saved a file which it has generated, following having run some diagnostics on my computer.  

I shall now send the file in question in a separate email to you, using the email address given in your email to me, and look forward to finding out any comments you may have, following having looked at the contents of this file.  

Thank you once again for your help so far with this matter, which is very much appreciated.  

Yours sincerely

J R Wilkinson
Highlighted

You're welcome.

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Highlighted
Team Player

Hi OCE_Ady

Thank you very much for your email, which is really appreciated.  

Having sent the troubleshooting file to the email address specified in your initial email to me, I just wanted to check how long it would be before anyone gets back to me after looking at the file in question.  I haven't received a reply as yet, but just wondered how long I should wait before following anything up with this.  

Thank you once again for your email.  

Yours sincerely

J R Wilkinson
Highlighted

Hi Jonathan, I've passed the details to Fsecure we're just waiting for the team to feedback.

Ady

Highlighted
Team Player

Hi Ady

Thank you very much for your email and also for confirming that you've passed on my details to the Technical Support Team at "F-Secure", along with the file you asked me to attach in an earlier email I sent via my normal email facility.  This is very much appreciated.  

I look forward to finding out what the people at "F-Secure" have to say, and look forward to hearing from them.  

Thank you once again for your email, which is very much appreciated.  

Best Regards

Jonathan (Xing2016)

J R Wilkinson
Highlighted

You're welcome, I'm sure they won't take too much longer.

Ady

Highlighted
Team Player

Hi Ady

Thank you very much for your latest email.  I look forward to receiving an email in due course from the people at "F-Secure" who look after the "TalkTalk Online Defence" Software, so I then know why I've been experiencing the issues that are causing the "Browsing Protection" Facility within this Software not to work within the "Apple Safari" Website Browser.  

Thank you once again for your latest email, which is very much appreciated.  

Best Regards

J R Wilkinson
Highlighted

I've still not had a reply from the Fsecure tech team, but I've sent a chaser to try and chivvy them. 

Ady

Highlighted
Team Player

Hi Ady

Thank you very much for your latest email and also for letting me know that you've chivvied along the Technical Support Team at "F-Secure" to find out what's going on, following me having submitted the Troubleshooting Diagnostics File to the email address you gave me a couple of weeks ago.  This is very much appreciated.  

I can confirm that I'm still waiting for a response from the aforementioned Technical Support Team, but still remain hopeful that I'll receive something in the family near future.  

Best Regards

Jonathan (Xing2016)

J R Wilkinson
Highlighted

When the response comes it will come through me. So you shouldn't expect any contact from anyone else on this. 

Ady

Highlighted
Team Player

Hi Ady

Thank you very much for your latest email and also for confirming that the Technical Support Team for "F-Secure" will contact you once they have had chance to fully-investigate the issues I'm experiencing with the "TalkTalk Online Defence" Software.  This is very much appreciated.  

I shall wait to hear from you when they finally get round to getting in touch with you on these matters.  

Best Regards

Jonathan   (Xing2016)

J R Wilkinson
Highlighted
Team Player

Hi Ady

Further to my previous email to you, dated Monday 13 July 2020, I just wanted to find out if you've received any communications from either the "TalkTalk" or "F-Secure" Technical Support Team, regarding why the "Apple Safari" Browser Extension for the Browsing Protection element of the "TalkTalk Online Defence" keeps showing as missing whenever I open "Apple Safari", in spite of all of the relevant software being correctly-installed and fully-enabled.  

I'm assuming that nobody has been in touch with you over the last couple of weeks or so, in view of me not having had any further communications during that time.  So I would just be interested to know what's happening here, so that a speedy conclusion can be found regarding resolving this issue.  

Thank you once again for your help so far with these matters, which is really appreciated.  

Best Regards

Jonathan   (Xing2016)

J R Wilkinson
Highlighted

Hi Jonathan, I've had nothing back yet. I've sent a chaser to our account manager to chase this up for you.

Ady

Highlighted
Team Player

Hi Ady

Thank you very much for your email and also for letting me know that you haven't heard anything from the Technical Support people at "F-Secure" as yet, as well as for informing me that you've chased them up again via your Account Manager.  Hope they soon have some success with this, anyway.  

Since initially reporting the issue I'm experiencing with the "TalkTalk Online Defence" software, I've updated my computer to the latest "Mac OSX" Operating System, which is Version 10.15.6.  Apart from that, everything is exactly as it was when I first reported this issue.  

On another note, I'm curious to know whether or not the Wireless Routers that "TalkTalk" provide to their customers are currently duel-band or single-band, ie are both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz, or just 2.4 GHz, and what their relevant bit rates (Mbps) are.  The Wireless Router I'm currently using is the latest "TalkTalk Wi-Fi Hub", which is dark grey, almost black in colour, with a dotted pattern over much of the front of it.  I've found I need to purchase a Wi-Fi Range Extender, so just need to find out whether the Router is single or duel-band, so as to buy the correct sort of Wi-Fi Range Extender.  

Thank you once again for your latest email, which is very much appreciated.  

Best Regards

Jonathan   (Xing2016)

J R Wilkinson
Highlighted

Hi Jonathan, the routers are dual band. I'm just waiting for confirmation on the throughput speeds.

Ady

Highlighted

Here are the numbers you asked about:

For the TalkTalk Wi-Fi Hub, the maximum speeds are: 217Mbps on the 2.4GHz band and 1733Mbps on the 5GHz band.

Ady

Team Player

Hi OCE_Ady

Thank you very much for the information regarding the "TalkTalk Wi-Fi Hub" Router.  This is very much appreciated.  I'm really pleased to learn that it's a duel band router, as well as the throughput speeds on each band.  

My reason for wanting to find out that information was so I could buy a Wi-Fi Range Extender to work with the router.  The one I chose in the end was a "TP-Link RE450", which is also known as the "TP-Link AC1750", which runs with both the 2.4 GHz and the 5 GHz bands, with a maximum throughput of 450 Mbps on 2.4 GHz and 1300 Mbps on 5 GHz.  After trying out a few Wi-Fi Range Extenders, that one seems to be the one that works best with the "TalkTalk Wi-Fi Hub" router.  

I was also wanting to find out if you've heard anything else from the "F-Secure" Technical Support Team, regarding why the "Browsing Protection" Web Extension for the "TalkTalk Online Defence" Software won't work with the "Apple Safari" Web Browser.  They seem to be taking their time in getting back to you on that, so I was just curious as to what's happening with my query regarding that matter.  

Thank you once again for your latest emails, which are very much appreciated.  

Best Regards

Jonathan   (Xing2016)

J R Wilkinson
Highlighted

I've still not heard from Fsecure on the online defence issue. I'm really sorry about this. it's most definitely abnormal for it to take so long. I'll chase this again.

Ady