Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

I'm a Newbie!!

22 REPLIES 22
Patricia55
Wizz Kid

Just joined, so popped in to say hello to everyone and see if I can figure out how to find my way around here, not being familiar with using forums. I don't yet know if I even have a profile, so will probably be asking questions very soon! There are two queries I already have in mind, but think I need to go to a different section for them? Anyway, see you soon if you don't see me first...;-)

I've learnt a lot about TT since joining the forum on 30/12/18..........I say no more.
Community Team

Hi Patricia

Welcome to the Community!

We're a friendly bunch so if you need any help or guidance, just ask 🙂

Regards,

Karl. 

Gondola
Community Star

Hi Patricia

Welcome to Community. Nice avatar. 

Tap your avatar and that'll take you to your Community profile.  The profile is showing as almost complete. And you've already found how to change your avatar image within the Community profile. 

If you do need help with your TalkTalk service at any time then please ensure your Community Profile Personal Information (Click here) includes your name, address, current TalkTalk landline 'phone number and an alternate number (mobile recommended). Add, then scroll down and save changes. The TalkTalk Community Team OCE will then be able to link to your TalkTalk service account.

I like what you've written in your Community Bio.  Happy New Year.

Gondola - Community contributor

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

TheHornedOne
Enlightened One

Gondola wrote:

Nice avatar.

It might even make a good 'wallpaper' @Patricia55, eh!

~R.

Patricia55
Wizz Kid

@OCE_Karl wrote:

Hi Patricia

Welcome to the Community!

We're a friendly bunch so if you need any help or guidance, just ask 🙂

Regards,

Karl. 

Hi, @OCE_Karl

Thanks for your welcome and offer of assistance when I need it. I haven't quite got the hang of replying to posts here yet, as I'm only used to G+ posts being all in one place at the same time, i.e being able to see the post whilst I reply/comment on it. Forum setups appear to be very different, but I'm sure I'll get used to it.

A couple of questions, if I may ~

•  What's the difference between using "Reply" and "Quick Reply"?

•  How can I be sure my replies are received if I don't use the "@" symbol?

•  Is the Last Call Barring feature only for use on mobiles, or phones as well?

I'm not yet familiar with using websites, as well as how they function and the jargon that's used, so you'll need to be patient with an ignoramus like me :turtle:

Anyway, thanks again Karl, and no need to get back to me until you feel like it :frog:

I've learnt a lot about TT since joining the forum on 30/12/18..........I say no more.
Patricia55
Wizz Kid

Hi, @Gondola

Thanks for your welcome, as well as some handy tips. Yes, I managed to set up my profile fairly easily and, as Arne already suggested, I've updated it with my phone and mobile numbers. However, I've only used my community name rather than my account name, and never show my location if I can help it, so hope that doesn't cause any problems for anyone. If it does, please let know and I'll update it.

As you know, I'm here to learn, but I'm also here to give TalkTalk the push that they need to make much needed improvements, as well as a better customer service. I've been with them for over six years (landline only, at first) and, since using broadband as well, had found their system to be very lacking in security as well as out of date. However, even though they've been rated very low against other providers, I'd like to stick with them if possible.

An efficient and reliable service creates happy customers, and vice versa, so everyone wins.

So, here endeth my sermon of the day :Speaknoevil:
Thanks again, and happy new year to you and yours :winkingface:

Patricia55
Wizz Kid

Hi, @TheHornedOne

Glad you like my avatar. Not being very computer or tech-savvy, you'd have had a good laugh at watching me trying to figure out how to set it up!

I'd never thought of using it as a wallpaper, but it's not a bad idea.

Don't know if this'll work, but I'll try to put a copy of it on here..........

CatsEye2.jpg

Seems to have worked, so maybe you could try using it. Then again, maybe not.....:quiet:

Community Team

Hi @Patricia55

The reply option will give a text box with more functionality, so you can change the text, colour, add images etc.  The quick reply will give a simple pop up box so you can quickly type text only into the box.

Using an @Mention is a good way to alert someone to your post, especially if they have not been part of the conversation.  You don't need to use this specifically with us OCE's as the posts are pulled into our workflow tool for all the team to see.

Last caller barring is for landline services, however if you use the new CallSafe feature instead, you can maintain your own allow and block lists of numbers and any caller not in your list will be screened before you speak to them 🙂

Don't worry about any jargon, we'll try to keep this to a minimum, but if unsure of anything, just ask.  I'm sorry if you have had poor service in the past, but you'll find the level of service you get via this forum to be the best.

I'm the newest member of the team, and I've been here over 10 years, so that will give you some idea of the experience we have behind us.

In addition we have our excellent Community Stars like Gondola helping out.  These are customers like you who have a passion for helping, and work along side us to make this community the best place to be.

Also, don't be worried about adding your details to your community profile.  In the entire company only about 15 people have access to this info, none of the customer service staff etc have access to this, this is just for us, so we can locate your info and help.

Regards,

Karl. 

Patricia55
Wizz Kid

Hello again, Karl

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly and for answering all my questions! And, yes, I'm already impressed by the forum team's service and prompt responses, as well as Community Stars like Gondola. I think I might have found the right place to learn all I need, and hopefully share it once I've got the gist of it all.

I've also updated my profile again, adding my full name and location. I suddenly got more badges, too, and it reminds me of when I used to be in the Girl Guides! :gold: ;-D

Now, it's time for me to sleep, perchance to dream, so I'll say goodnight and wish you a very happy new year 😉

Fireworks.gif

Community Team
TheHornedOne
Enlightened One

@Patricia55 wrote:

I'd never thought of using it as a wallpaper, but it's not a bad idea.

Actually, I rather thought it already was Patricia55; the 'Evil Green Eyes' wallpaper!  Is this not where you found your avatar ...... 

Screen Shot 2019-01-01 at 09.54.55.pngScreen Shot 2019-01-01 at 09.54.55.png

.... either way, you won't find me laughing at your efforts.  Figuring-out how to assign a personal avatar on the forum, is a significant achievement in itself!  😎

~R.

Patricia55
Wizz Kid

@TheHornedOne wrote:

Actually, I rather thought it already was Patricia55; the 'Evil Green Eyes' wallpaper!  Is this not where you found your avatar ...... 

Hi, @TheHornedOne

Actually, it's Patricia55's avatar, rather than wallpaper (which I understand to be a fullscreen image on my monitor). Then again, I'm not particularly au fait with computer/internet/technical jargon, as I'm self-taught since starting to use the internet five years ago. I'm pleased with what I've learnt so far, most of which was through downright trial and error, and am particularly wary when I'm on the internet. I started with Google, and was never interested in using Fakebook (not a typo) where Zuckerberg thinks everyone should make "friends" with each other (whether you're genuine or not) and "like" everything they say and do! No thanks, I live in the real world...;-D

Yes, I found it on Google by searching for "Cat's Eye" because I think they're beautiful animals. As for "Evil Green Eye", I'm not inclined towards macabre ideas when I use Google Search, so hope that my avatar doesn't put people off from making contact with me. I like the old saying, The eyes are the windows of the soul, even though I'm atheist.Blinking Eyes.gif

PS ~ If you get time, could you tell me what that little yellow dot at the top of some people's messages means, please? Oh, and happy new year!

Oops..... I tried to post this to you and got this message from TT.....

Your post has been changed because invalid HTML was found in the message body. The invalid HTML has been removed. Please review the message and submit the message when you are satisfied.

I don't see any changes to what I've typed, plus the image, but I don't even know what HTML means ~ except that I already know it's not a safe thing to use. Oh well, I'll try posting again.

TheHornedOne
Enlightened One

@Patricia55 wrote:

..............................but I don't even know what HTML means ~

HTML | eɪtʃtiːɛmˈɛl | noun [mass noun] Computing

Hypertext Markup Language, a standardized system for tagging text files to achieve font, colour, graphic, and hyperlink effects on World Wide Web pages: [as modifier] : an HTML file.

If you enter a message, which includes some formatting - E.G. Bold / Italic / Underline* - and then key the HTML option - above the formatting bar - you can view your message in HTML.

* Are you aware of the, shortcut / quick, keys ~ I.E. ctrl+b / ctrl+i / ctrl+u et al?

You might also care to view this - https://www.youtube.com/embed/UB1O30fR-EE?rel=0&autoplay=1

The message you received ........

Your post has been changed because invalid HTML was found in the message body. The invalid HTML has been removed. Please review the message and submit the message when you are satisfied.'

..... means no more than what it states!

Regarding the wee yellow dot; I am aware of it, but I have absolutely no idea of its significance ............ nobody does!

I concur with your statement regarding the term 'wallpaper', which is sometimes defined, incorrectly, as being a 'screen saver'!

~R.

Patricia55
Wizz Kid

@TheHornedOne wrote:

HTML | eɪtʃtiːɛmˈɛl | noun [mass noun] Computing

Hypertext Markup Language, a standardized system for tagging text files to achieve font, colour, graphic, and hyperlink effects on World Wide Web pages: [as modifier] : an HTML file.

If you enter a message, which includes some formatting - E.G. Bold / Italic / Underline* - and then key the HTML option - above the formatting bar - you can view your message in HTML.

* Are you aware of the, shortcut / quick, keys ~ I.E. ctrl+b / ctrl+i / ctrl+u et al?

You might also care to view this - https://www.youtube.com/embed/UB1O30fR-EE?rel=0&autoplay=1.................

Your shared knowledge is much appreciated, and I'll have a look at that link to help me fill some of those gaps in my head. Yes, the Ctrl+ and Alt+ keys are very useful for all sorts of things, some of which I know. I even know what Ctrl+Alt+Del does, but I've rarely had to use that.

I'm familiar with computer use, but not with the Worlwide Web. I have an inquisitive mind and, when my curiosity is set on any given subject, I don't give up until it's been satiated. The same can be said for any provider of a service I may use so, if it doesn't live up to its claims, I'm quick to let them know and won't let go until they get it right ~ especially if I'm paying for it. Too many businesses offer the world on a gold platter when, in reality, it's only a lump of mud on a paper plate and no accolades to show for it.

I'll never learn everything I'd like to, so I'll just keep asking questions in the hope that someone knows the answers. Thanks again for your help.

TheHornedOne
Enlightened One

There was something about your blinking eyes that has been bothering me for days @Patricia55, but I've figured it out ..........

Blinking Eyes #2.gifBlinking Eyes #2.gif / ~R.

........ have you noticed?

~R.

ferguson
Community Star

PS ~ If you get time, could you tell me what that little yellow dot at the top of some people's messages means, please?

@Patricia55 wrote:

@Patricia55 It simply indicates a message which you have not read.

Patricia55
Wizz Kid

Aha!! Thank you @ferguson

It's these quirky little things that are sometimes harder to fathom than a 30-squared Sudoku.

Happy new year to you...;-)

Patricia55
Wizz Kid

Hi there, R (aka @TheHornedOne )

I had to do a second take on that because my mind said, "Ay? Did that just wink at me?"

Clever clogs!! I won't even ask how you did that because I know I wouldn't understand the answer.

I've just logged in and it put a smile on my face to start the evening with...;-)

TheHornedOne
Enlightened One

@Patricia55 wrote:

Hi there, R (aka @TheHornedOne )

I had to do a second take on that because my mind said, "Ay? Did that just wink at me?"

No, no, no ....... it's not the wink @Patricia55, I did that for amusemnet!  Check-out the reflections of the oak tree, in the pupils, and compare my revised .gif* with the original.

I would maintain that a discrepancy exists, whereby one eye was generated, which was then duplicated, then flipped horizontally, and then the two placed adjacent.

Consequently, the reflections are opposed, rather than a facsimile.  A 'school boy' effort, don't you think, ha!

~R.

*In an attempt to pre-empt your next question ......

Screen Shot 2019-01-06 at 19.00.33.png

Patricia55
Wizz Kid

Trying to read my mind as well, @TheHornedOne? I knew what a GIF was, but didn't know what the abbreviation stood for. Thank you, I like to learn something new each day, and size is irrelevant.

Well, I did notice the difference in the tree, because it moves when the eyelid shuts. There also seems to be a strange little flicker to the left, just before it blinks, but it didn't seem worth mentioning because I was just impressed with your editing ability.

"A 'school boy' effort"? Nah, more an effort to try things out, and if you don't succeed, try again. I'll stick at something for hours, or even days when necessary, to reach my intended goal. A friend asked me how I have so much patience, and I told him it's not so much a matter of that, but more of a stubborn determination to achieve my aim. As Magnus Magnuson used to say, "I've started, so I'll finish."

Here's another little GIF which I really like.....

Bird Box.gif