Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

New password required ?

9 REPLIES 9
Discoverer
Insightful One

This morning I tried to log onto Forum using the same passsword I have always used since first joining.

I got the message that password was not valid because it must "Contain one Upper Case".

The only way I could log on was to go through the change password procedure - not easy as email keeps timing out after 5 seconds  which was why I wanted to log on in the first place.

A notification of a change to password requirements would have been appreciated.

I don't want to be sane again.
I like things the way they are now.

Life is like a toilet roll - the nearer you get to the end the faster it goes 😞
Community Team
Hi @Discoverer

Apologies for this.

Have you now managed to login in ok?

Thanks

Debbie
Discoverer
Insightful One

@OCE_Debbiewrote:
Hi @Discoverer

Apologies for this.

Have you now managed to login in ok?

Thanks

Debbie

Hi OCE_Debbie

Yes thanks, I can now log-in OK, all I did was reset password using an upper case letter in 'new' password.

Best regards.

Cluster-Lizard
Wizz Kid

Exactly the same thing has happened to me today when I tried to access the Forum.

I put in my usename and fairly 'strong' password I've used for 3+ years and was unhelpfully told my password needed at least one upper case character. An almost Kafkaesque situation where you're using the correct password but because it does not meet some newly applied rule you have not been told about it is rejected and you can't login to change the password - daft.

Obviously I've sorted it out by using the provided alternative facility to reset the password and it now has at least one shiny new upper case character and it works, yay!

But it would have been a good idea (understatement) for the TalkTalk Forum to communicate this change in password criteria before actually applying it or better still, directly, at the time the forum member last logged on with their old password. 

Community Team
Hi Cluster-Lizard

Apologies for this. This has been fed back. Please let us know if you do experience any further issues.

Debbie
shaidy
Conversation Starter

I had this issue, and hit the forgot username/password button - it then asked for my email address.

I did not have a clue what email address I registered with back in March 2012 (I have a variety, both talktalk, and non-talktalk), so I took a blind guess.

It should be possible to log in the first time using your old password, which you could be compelled to change once logged in.

16-03-2015 You ranked up to Conversation Starter. 08-08-2017 You ranked up to Conversation Starter. 07-08-2018 You earned the Conversation Starter badge. ... Erm ... lol
Discoverer
Insightful One
Damn!
It happened again this morning - now not accepting my password because it did not contain at least one upper case ...... when was this rule introduced?

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @Discoverer 

Have you successfully upgraded your Community password to make it stronger?  The basic minimum is 8 characters including an uppercase letter, a lowercase letter and a number. It's been like that since week commencing 29 January 2018.

It is the basic minimum requirement for new passwords and you can do better with an even stronger password. For example, if you use the Chrome browser feature to recommend and store a new password it will create one of 15 characters complying with the Community requirements. But only store passwords in the browser when it's just you that uses the device.

But GetSafeOnline has some good advice about using passwords. You can go up to 30 characters if you use a memorable multi-word phrase with words and number(s).

Gondola - Community support team

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

Discoverer
Insightful One
How does having at least one upper case letter in a password make it stronger ...... it doesn't.
My password which I have used on this community, without any problem since 2008, was generated by one of the leading password generators and did not contain an upper case letter BUT it did include symbols, which are recognised as adding to security.
How were we (the community members) informed of this new 'requirement, prior to 29th Jan 2018? We weren't; this is something I commented on 01/03/2018 "A notification of a change to password requirements would have been appreciated" and was also raised by other members - that we weren't was something that TalkTalk acknowledged.
If you read my previous posts you will see that I had this problem previously, in March 2018, and went through the procedure then of including one upper case letter - 08/03/2018 - yet had to go through it yet again this morning.

Highlighted
Gondola
Community Star

Hi @Discoverer 

Well, it's a decision made by TalkTalk not to individually notify everyone because the only time users' need the information on password requirements is when a new password is required.

Then the requirements for the password are provided in a message below the New password box exactly when the user is creating the new password.

Community Registration.png

The message is in rather small print below the New password box but it is there as a reminder of the requirements.  The image above is taken from the New Registration screen.

Therefore no need for a global notification as the requirements are built into the system notes.

@Discoverer wrote: How does having at least one upper case letter in a password make it stronger ...... it doesn't.

You're right of course. A single upper case letter doesn't make a password that much stronger. Password length is better at creating a stronger password so long as the characters aren't in a recognisable word and potentially crackable by a 'dictionary' hack.

Try the website How Secure Is My Password?  'Disc0ver' as a password meets the Community requirements but is crackable in 2 hours. Add on 'Rand0M' as a 14 character fairly memorable password and it takes 10 million years to crack. You can use password generators if you wish but ultra-strong memorable passwords are within everyone's capability to create.

Gondola - Community support team

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer