10 number barred list isn't enough!

30 REPLIES 30
Enlightened One

Please can we have 100 number bar list limit? 10 is nowhere near enough these days.

Come on TT, in a way this issue is largely you're fault due to the weak security and system breach a while ago.

At least give us adequate tools to stop the resulting opportunistic criminals in their tracks!!  My barred list is nearly full. I'm having to add to it at roughly 2 a month recently.

Also, it would be much better if we could manage and see the stored caller barred list online in 'my account'. Doing it all via DTMF touch tone on the phone handset is a drag.

please put this in the suggestion box for consideration urgently!

Thanks

Peter

Tags (1)
First Timer

TOTALLY AGREE,10 BARRED CALLS IS NOT ENOUGH, CAN GET 10 UNWANTED CALLS IN A WEEK,PERHAPS TalkTalk DO NOT APPRECIATE THE SCALE OF THE PROBLEM,

WITH ALL THE TECHNOLOGY ,ALONG WITH OTHER TELE COM COMPANIES  AT THEIR FINGERTIPS 

@prawlin wrote:

Please can we have 100 number bar list limit? 10 is nowhere near enough these days.

Come on TT, in a way this issue is largely you're fault due to the weak security and system breach a while ago.

At least give us adequate tools to stop the resulting opportunistic criminals in their tracks!!  My barred list is nearly full. I'm having to add to it at roughly 2 a month recently.

Also, it would be much better if we could manage and see the stored caller barred list online in 'my account'. Doing it all via DTMF touch tone on the phone handset is a drag.

please put this in the suggestion box for consideration urgently!

Thanks

Peter

ONE WOULD ASSUME THEY COULD ERADICATE THE PROBLEM AT SCOURCE.

Super Duper Contributor
If the security of Talk Talk was better in the first place, We wouldn't have all this problem in the first place.
Community Team - TT Staff

If you log the number through My Account this bars that number at a network level. 

Whizz Kid

buy a cpr call blocker. can block 1200 numbers that do get thro at the push of a button.

best thing i ever bought.

Whizz Kid

I also totally agree - I have run out of blocked numbers and have to delete some to block new.   At the very least we need 40 numbers and also I agree it would be good to view them online, rather than troll through the numbers on the phone.   I also agree that we could do with being able to block 'unavailable' numbers.   I cannot block all withheld numbers because people like the doctor would not be able to get through.

Whizz Kid

@davemk39 wrote:

buy a cpr call blocker. can block 1200 numbers that do get thro at the push of a button.

I second that, it's a godsend. You can block a connected call just by pressing the "block now" button, or you can manually key in numbers or area codes, international calls and witheld numbers. Costs around £40 but is well worth it.

Pauline
Insightful One

@Poops1 wrote:

@davemk39 wrote:

I second that, it's a godsend. You can block a connected call just by pressing the "block now" button, or you can manually key in numbers or area codes, international calls and witheld numbers. Costs around £40 but is well worth it.

as a matter of interest, does that allow specified intrernational numbers through.  I spoke to someone recently who has a call blocker which blocks all international numbers, but they were not sure which one it was.  Our BT8500 uses Call guardian, which apparently will allow them to "announce" themselves, though I have not had reason to check this.

Whizz Kid

@dave p wrote:

as a matter of interest, does that allow specified intrernational numbers through.  I spoke to someone recently who has a call blocker which blocks all international numbers, but they were not sure which one it was.  Our BT8500 uses Call guardian, which apparently will allow them to "announce" themselves, though I have not had reason to check this.

You can either block all internation/out of area numbers or block a particular number by keying in the number. There are various codes to key in for different things. The easiest way to block a number is to press the "block now" button while the call is connected, but if you get one of those that hang up as soon as you answer it then there's a code to block the last caller. It's very versatile and there are numerous ways to block and unblock numbers, if you accidentally block one that you shouldn't have.

Pauline
Enlightened One

@davemk39 wrote:

That seems like a great idea, thanks! I think I might get one soon.

I'm just curious though, what happens to the caller when you block them with the big button (and also if they call again after blocking)? Do they get perpetual ringtone, or a message such as 'call blocked' or maybe it just answers the call then hangs up on them?

If they somehow detect that you have a call blocker preventing them getting through, wouldn't it be easy for them to simply call you again but this time using withheld  number, thus circumventing the blocker?

As has been said, I can't block all withheld numbers (unfortunately!) as my GP and maybe some other genuine callers would not be able to call me as they withhold their number (I wish they wouldn't do. Why do they do this anyway?).

Does it require a mans power adapter, or is it battery powered?

Just a final question, does adding one of these cause a delay to genuine incoming callers before it actually allows my phone to ring normally? I would imagine it must do, as it takes a second or two to read the caller ID signal and then it has to look up the number to check for barring status. I would imagine you would lose the first couple of rings before my phone actually does ring?

Thanks for any help!

Peter

Insightful One

@Poops1 wrote:

You can either block all internation/out of area numbers or block a particular number by keying in the number. There are various codes to key in for different things. The easiest way to block a number is to press the "block now" button while the call is connected, but if you get one of those that hang up as soon as you answer it then there's a code to block the last caller. It's very versatile and there are numerous ways to block and unblock numbers, if you accidentally block one that you shouldn't have.

Thanks for the info.  Our neighbours maybe don't realise that.

With our BT8500 anyone not recognised can "announce" themselves and the call will come through to our phone when we can accept, reject or bar the number.  I think hospitals, doctors etc are reasonably used to this system as we've had a couple that have come through.  The automated dialling scammers don't.

Whizz Kid

My experience of the BT8500 is all positive. If you put a number in the phone book that caller will not be subject to the call baring procedure and your phone will ring immediately. I have had NO scam calls get through the Call Guardian. As already stated, most genuine callers who withhold their number are getting used to the system and use the call announce. My sister calls me from Canada and as her name and number is in the phone book her call is not bared. Just one requirement, you must have Caller Display.

Whizz Kid

Re the CPR call blocker, it doesn't need its own power supply, it fits between the telephone cable and the telephone. You unplug the cable from your telephone, plug it into the call blocker, and then plug the call blocker into your pbone. That way it intercepts all calls. The phone rings as normal and when you pick it up there are two lights on the blocker showing it's connected properly and the line is active. All calls get through, it's up to you to block the ones you don't want. If you press the "block now" button while on a call nothing happens until you end the call, then that number is blocked so it can't get through again. I'm unable to block withheld calls too because of calls from doctors/hospitals so if any spam calls get through by withholding their number then you just have to put up with it. Maybe one of the BT phones would be better in that instance.

I have no idea what blocked calls hear when they try to ring after blocking, the only way to find out would be to block your own mobile number and then try ringing your landline - you can unblock it again afterwards.

Finally, there is no delay in the phone ringing, I've checked by ringing the phone using my mobile. You do need caller display for the blocker to work though.

Hope that helps a bit.

Pauline
Enlightened One

@Poops1 wrote:

Re the CPR call blocker, it doesn't need its own power supply, it fits between the telephone cable and the telephone. You unplug the cable from your telephone, plug it into the call blocker, and then plug the call blocker into your pbone. That way it intercepts all calls. The phone rings as normal and when you pick it up there are two lights on the blocker showing it's connected properly and the line is active. All calls get through, it's up to you to block the ones you don't want. If you press the "block now" button while on a call nothing happens until you end the call, then that number is blocked so it can't get through again. I'm unable to block withheld calls too because of calls from doctors/hospitals so if any spam calls get through by withholding their number then you just have to put up with it. Maybe one of the BT phones would be better in that instance.

I have no idea what blocked calls hear when they try to ring after blocking, the only way to find out would be to block your own mobile number and then try ringing your landline - you can unblock it again afterwards.

Finally, there is no delay in the phone ringing, I've checked by ringing the phone using my mobile. You do need caller display for the blocker to work though.

Hope that helps a bit.

Thanks for all that. Very helpful indeed. So it must be powered by the phone line, that's cool.

Apparently, the version V202 does come with some (around 200) known dodgy blocked numbers built in, so even if you haven't yet blocked any, it should still help.......

https://www.cprcallblocker.com/products/call-blocker-v202-stop-nuisance-calls

The V5000 comes with 5000 pre programmed blocked numbers, but it's even more expensive. I think they are getting a bit greedy on the pricing, so I'll probably go for the V202. It's a pity it looks so darned ugly though. That ludicrous size red button is way OTT, more like an emergency panic button.

Why would a BT phone do better with withheld number callers? Can it do something that CPR blocker can't do?

cheers

Peter

Insightful One

it seems the BT8500 does things the CPR doesn't.  As  says above, and I have found, numbers not in your contacts are asked to announce themselves bt a recorded message.  We've had several people we know but were not in our contacts who got through by that method.  All others apart from one never got through.  The "auto dial" types seemingly time out before they speak.  I'm surpised the call blocker can't be made to do something similar but from what's said above, it seems not.  Someone else may know differently.  There are various devices and phones that do similar things.  My son got the 8500 and we got the same on his recommendation.  If you can actually find one available anywhere, Homebase show an earlier model at £9-99, but you don't seem to be able to buy them.

Enlightened One

@dave p wrote:

it seems the BT8500 does things the CPR doesn't.  As @charlieboy99 says above, and I have found, numbers not in your contacts are asked to announce themselves bt a recorded message.  We've had several people we know but were not in our contacts who got through by that method.  All others apart from one never got through.  The "auto dial" types seemingly time out before they speak.  I'm surpised the call blocker can't be made to do something similar but from what's said above, it seems not.  Someone else may know differently.  There are various devices and phones that do similar things.  My son got the 8500 and we got the same on his recommendation.  If you can actually find one available anywhere, Homebase show an earlier model at £9-99, but you don't seem to be able to buy them.

So, that seems to be an  even better solution than the CPR blocker?  It seems to do everything CPR does and rather more? There's plenty of 8500's on eBay around £50 for a twin pack. Does it tell you how many calls its blocked for you and show the numbers it blocked? I'm not so fond of colour screens on dect phones but can this one be read when it isn't illuminated or in strong daylight? Is the 8500 the best one in the BT range generally, and is it the best call blocking one? 

I quite like my existing Panasonic twin dect phones, but don't mind upgrading to get this call blocking functionality.

Sorry, so many questions lol.

thanks

Peter

Insightful One

that seems to be an  even better solution than the CPR blocker?

Depends on your set up to some extent.

There's plenty of 8500's on eBay around £50 for a twin pack.

Try Google for a refurb maybe.  Someone on the forum found them ok, or maybe buy a later model.  I found them at 39-99.

Does it tell you how many calls its blocked for you and show the numbers it blocked?

Not sure as I've never checked.  It takes 1000 blocked numbers.

I'm not so fond of colour screens on dect phones but can this one be read when it isn't illuminated or in strong daylight?

It lights up when a call is received.  I don't find it a problem.

Is the 8500 the best one in the BT range generally, and is it the best call blocking one?

There are later models, but you'd have to read the specs and user manuals to find out.

I quite like my existing Panasonic twin dect phones, but don't mind upgrading to get this call blocking functionality.

There are plenty others, including Panasonic which do similar.  Could be you could use your existing phone alongside it and copy the numbers.  Maybe check other stand alone call blockers to see what they offer.  Non are particularly cheap unless on special offer anywhere.  I think ours were just over £50 for a three pack - my son had the third to go with the others he had.

Whizz Kid

The basic difference between the call blocking phone and the CPR blocker is that the phone blocks all calls apart from the ones you tell it to allow and the CPR only blocks the ones you tell it to (apart from around 200 that are pre-programmed into it). Which one to choose depends on your preference of how to block the calls. Re the massive button on the CPR blocker, there are, or were when I bought mine, two types. One is a small, unobtrusive one which I have, which only has a tiny block now button but you can't see what numbers you've blocked. The other is quite a lot bigger with a massive block now button, but has the facility to be able to see what numbers you've blocked. It's a case of deciding what would work best for you personally.

Pauline
Enlightened One

@Poops1 wrote:

The basic difference between the call blocking phone and the CPR blocker is that the phone blocks all calls apart from the ones you tell it to allow and the CPR only blocks the ones you tell it to (apart from around 200 that are pre-programmed into it). Which one to choose depends on your preference of how to block the calls. Re the massive button on the CPR blocker, there are, or were when I bought mine, two types. One is a small, unobtrusive one which I have, which only has a tiny block now button but you can't see what numbers you've blocked. The other is quite a lot bigger with a massive block now button, but has the facility to be able to see what numbers you've blocked. It's a case of deciding what would work best for you personally.

I've been researching the 8500/8600 BT phones. It seems by default, it behaves virtually as you said. However, there are many different ways of setting it to do virtually anything you want, so it can do just the same as the CPR (if you wish) and seemingly a lot more too.

It has caller black list (blocked), white list (allowed), your contacts list and a vip list. Excerpt from the user guide CUSTOM settings section.......

"5. Scroll CALLS to Announce then press < or > to find Custom. 6. Press Save and scroll to find the type of call that you want to want to change the settings for. You can change : Blocked / Allowed / International / Withheld / Payphones / Mobile / Unavailable / All other numbers. And for each of these, you have the choice to: Block / Ans.phone / Allow / Announce."

So it seems it can pretty much do anything you want it to do once it's been properly set up to your preference. At the moment, I think the BT phones beat the CPR by a country mile. For a twin pack phone they're around the same price and there's no need for the add on ugly black box! They seem to offer a much more comprehensive and customisable call filtering system as far as I can see.

I think the 8600 is just a slightly later version of the 8500 but with an added dedicated block button......

https://www.shop.bt.com/content/uni2/documentation/bv9s/bt8600_spec_sheet_v3.pdf https://www.shop.bt.com/content/uni2/documentation/9m2m/bt8500_spec.pdf

I'm trying to decide which to go for, but thus far, I prefer the cleaner look of the 8500. I need to scrutinise both specs and features to see if there are any differences between them worth having.

The 8500 Online user guide......

https://www.shop.bt.com/content/uni2/documentation/9m2m/bt8500_quick_start_guide.pdf

cheers

Peter

Insightful One

just out of interest, if you buy a single phone, can you set it up to work with the one(s) you have?  Maybe even find a way to copy your address book from the old one?  That's probably over optimistic though.  The 8500 copies to all extra handsets, which my old BT twin set didn't.

Make sure you don't get scammed while making up your mind!!!