5 silent/scam calls in 1 day

Sceptic2
Team Player

Had one at 8:30 nothing since, 

Wounder how clever the auto dialer is, if say it gets a answere phone does it react

differently than to a pick up, or no pick up, after so many no asweres does it

knock you off the list or just carry on, 

Weevie
Enlightened One

Because the calls are free to them and almost unlimited in quantity - I am guessing that the fact that a call is unanswered makes no difference to whether they will keep on trying or not !!

So - I would say no - it just carries on as if nothing had happened !!

Besides - our answerphone will be detected as a human picking up the phone !

@Sceptic2 wrote:

Had one at 8:30 nothing since, 

Wounder how clever the auto dialer is, if say it gets a answere phone does it react

differently than to a pick up, or no pick up, after so many no asweres does it

knock you off the list or just carry on, 

Merseybankman
Wizz Kid

I got so fed up with both silent calls and the scam callers that in the end after an average of 20/30 a day at one piont I bought a set of new BT telephones with the call blocker. I bought the BT 8610 a set of 3 with answer phone for £69. Some people say there hard/complicated to set up, but I found it OK. All these calls stopped immediatly, so well worth the money. Peace at last. I agree Talktalk should be doing more to help people. We shouldn't have to pay out ourselves, but I think it was worth it for the peace.

Sceptic2
Team Player
I dont think it is quite right that the auto dialer detects the answerphone pick up as
a phone pickup as on ours if I pick up I get a long silence then the line is dropped
if it goes to answer phone the call is dropped immediately.
thomasdavis
Chatterbox
I think manually blocking them will just waste our time. I personally just ignore those calls nowadays. There are so many of them. I will spend a day of my time just blocking their numbers. I sometimes just check the number on sites like http://whycall.me to see if people have reported them as scam and report the number in the end.
theid
Conversation Starter

The calls seem to have stopped since I mentioned the Fraud Squad!

theid
liamf12
Conversation Starter

No more calls since Friday.  I requested to trial TalkTalks new Callsafe trial which is now active.  Only call I've had was from my daughter's school they must have been interogated and decided to call a mobile contact instead.  Hopefully that's the end of nuisance calls, won't hold my breath though.

Weevie
Enlightened One

@liamf12 wrote:

No more calls since Friday.  I requested to trial TalkTalks new Callsafe trial which is now active.  Only call I've had was from my daughter's school they must have been interogated and decided to call a mobile contact instead.  Hopefully that's the end of nuisance calls, won't hold my breath though.

This is what worries me - if someone wants to get through urgently (a family member has an accident or similar) and they are blocked !!

brandyman
Super Duper Contributor

@Weevie wrote:

Its about time that TT offered alternative methods of call blocking - such as https://www.hearingdirect.com/cpr-call-blocker-v202.html

Yes, but with that call blocker the phone will still ring.

Better for a call blocker that does not initially ring and causes the caller to announce who they are before phone rings.  Automated dialers cant handle this and manual dialed numbers just put phone down and move onto next number as they are not prepared to announce who they are.

brandyman
Super Duper Contributor

@Merseybankman wrote:

I bought a set of new BT telephones with the call blocker. I bought the BT 8610 a set of 3 with answer phone for £69. Some people say there hard/complicated to set up, but I found it OK. All these calls stopped immediatly, so well worth the money. Peace at last. I agree Talktalk should be doing more to help people. We shouldn't have to pay out ourselves, but I think it was worth it for the peace.

Bought the same set and so easy to setup. They use the BT Call Guardian software which is not limited to just BT badged phones.

Like you all these type of calls stopped immediatly.

liamf12
Conversation Starter

Wife just tried to call home using hands free from car but couldn't get through. So I called home from my mobile followed instructions on call safe and daughter couldn't pick up call.  Will have to investigate tomorrow.

Sceptic2
Team Player
It seems to have gone quiet again here for now no calls fro a few days
Merseybankman
Wizz Kid

What I always found about these calls was they came in waves. For a few days you would be well & truely inundated with them. Then a spell of quiet before it all strted again.

whitecliffs
Super Duper Contributor

I know I have said this before but: I only get 1 call about once a month sometimes 2months, I never say anymore than ‘hello’ then put the phone down once they say TT or any other I have even had a well spoken English male saying he was manager of BT Openreach saying my computer is causing problems!

Say anymore or try playing them around as I used to several years ago you will get silent calls for messing them about  or if you answer them I believe they mark you down as a possible patsy and you will get more calls to try to draw you in.

Do not say anymore than that first word when picking up the phone.

Weevie
Enlightened One

@whitecliffs wrote:

I know I have said this before but: I only get 1 call about once a month sometimes 2months, I never say anymore than ‘hello’ then put the phone down once they say TT or any other I have even had a well spoken English male saying he was manager of BT Openreach saying my computer is causing problems!

Say anymore or try playing them around as I used to several years ago you will get silent calls for messing them about  or if you answer them I believe they mark you down as a possible patsy and you will get more calls to try to draw you in.

Do not say anymore than that first word when picking up the phone.

We very rarely answer the phone - just let the answer phone handle the call - but it is still extremely annoying - just the fact that someone is interupting our silence !!

Are you saying that it may be best, if we switch off the answerphone and just let it ring and ring  and ring ?

Maybe the "automatic" caller will then remove us from the patsy list ?

whitecliffs
Super Duper Contributor

@Weevie

The answer to your question is yes possibly, but pick up the phone say hello then when you get the other end trying to scam you just put it down say no more.

Most answer phones are left to answer after 6 rings the auto dialler I believe stops after 4-5 rings (silent call) if it also catches the answer phone either way it is then registered as live phone number so retry’s are often (my theory).

If you pick it up and just say hello and then put the phone down when

they start their scam speech your a no starter . So your Number is only tried accasionally just to see if they can catch you out or somebody new has that number. 

Just try it for a couple of weeks you will see it go down daily until it petters out

Sceptic2
Team Player

Not had one for days  now but have noticed when in the passed 

they have asked for me by name and I have said "sorry no one 

of that name here" they have been incredulus you could hear

the disbelife in their voice, they could just not belive they had the name wrong,

not that I ever confirm my name.

labr00dle
First Timer

Woken up Saturday morning with 4 (so far), silent calls:

01246185812, 01255258260, 01244640789, 01276916441.

calling back revels number not recognised!

reported to Ofcom, but suspect waste of time.

Weevie
Enlightened One

@labr00dle 

Do you have "callsafe" up and running on your system ?

If you do - then there is a problem with it .....

labr00dle
First Timer

Talks for that, will install it. All previous attempts at blocking software seemed to stop anonymous calls, eg hospitals etc, but this looks OK.