90% of scam calls are supposedly from Talk Talk - all numbers are spoofed so can't report them.

ANSWERED
14 REPLIES 14
Highlighted
Figgis
Conversation Starter

I receive several scam phone calls per week from spoofed numbers and about 90% of them say they are TalkTalk. I can't report them as I do not have a real telephone number for them and can't block them for the same reason. Most of the callers have Indian style accents. I tell them either that I don't have a computer or ask them what is a router or that I have a lie detector and that it shows they are lying to me. They usually end the call straight away.  A few calls are 'Out of Area' but most are spoofed numbers. 

1. What can our Broadband and Telephone providers do to stop this?

2. Will Telecom providers stop carrying calls from spoofed numbers?

3. What is the point of registering with the Telephone Preference Service when callers deliberately show an incorrect number.

Figgis
jaswhite
First Timer

the low life are around again trying to get you to give the control of your computer to them if you do they will freeze your computer.I kept them on the phone for 15 minute,s to waste there time .In the end she told me to fxxxxxx off. Not nice .but she was not phoneing someone else .

jasw

Figgis
Conversation Starter

They must be snaring some poor victims when they continue calling.

Figgis
Donnam
Head of Scam Prevention
Solution

Hi @jaswhite

Thanks very much for your questions and sorry to hear you're receiving scam calls.

Nothing matters more to us than protecting our customers with scam calls growing in the UK at a rapid place, that's why we have set up the campaign Beat the Scammers

We are blocking around 92 million calls a month on our network, of which over 40% are from known numbers reported by customers.  You can report a scam call here talktalk.co.uk/scamcalls.

We are also analysis the network and tracing callers without a number displayed with the aim to stop suspected scam calls reaching our customers.

Re telephone preference services, unfortunately, the scammers don't seem to comply with this service.  Some advice that might help;

1.  Always hang up

2.  Block the number that has called you (if you know who they are calling from)

3.  Make sure you have caller display switched so you can see who's calling

4.  Report the number at talktalk.co.uk/scams, this will be sent to our Customer Security Investigation team to see if we can block this on the network.  We block 92million calls a month on our network.

Donna
TallTrees
Wizz Kid

Doesn't seem that nothing is more important than your customers security, when you send talktalk customer details out to your Call Centre in India where even the Indian Government wouldn't trust them.  Thanks for that Talk Talk.  TalkTalk know all about the scammers in India and the Fraudster there that even the Indian Government cannot control.  Money and cheap labour are your interests.

Happiness is Bee shaped
TallTrees
Wizz Kid

All my scam calls are from TalkTalk absolutely definite.

Use my maiden name only company with it as been with Tiscali/TalkTalk for 13 years.

Tell them to get a "decent" job and hang up (obviously)!

Happiness is Bee shaped
Pedro1874
Conversation Starter

Yes Figgis in a nutshell.  Luckily now I hardly ever use my landline so nearly all the calls I get are spoof calls and I no longer bother answering.  If somebody else really wants me they can leave a message and I will get back to them.

Pedro1874
Conversation Starter

Heard this problem discussed on 5 live this morning.  BT are bringing in some system out to blacklist numbers.  They read out my text where I told them that in my experience with spoof numbers it is utterly pointless to block/blacklist a number.  I have been getting at least 3 a day since November when it started up again.  4 today all showing as a row of zeros on the screen.  I never bother to answer any more but 1471'd the last one and it was 23 numbers long!!

My question is that it is not OUR (the customer's)  fault that we have this pain.  It is TALKTALK'S fault for having such poor/cheapskate security that could be hacked and all our details stolen to be used against us and/or because they use call centres in one of the most corrupt countries on earth. How many poor, vulnerable customers will be duped into letting hackers roam their computers?

How about TT providing us with personal blockers and special phones as it apparently cannot be done at source.  WHY CAN YOU NOT FIX THIS AT SOURCE?

stephenadams
Conversation Starter

I would have thought that if you are blocking 92 Mllion calls, you should be doing MORE than just blocking them, you should be taking ACTION.

What laws they have broken in thier country I do not know, but I have sure  that they could be deprived of their ability to have a telephone system! Then they would go ot of busiiness.

Telecoms suppliers should be able to be able to block these calls at source, as they are international players and it would reduce the costs to them also by freeing up capacity.

As for blocking calls. I do not notice the call blocking facility actually asking for a number to block, it just says block the last call press star key twice!

So this call could be added to TalkTalk's list of numbers as they have the ability to know the calls origin, even if  the "customer presented number" is spoofed.

This cannot be disguised as it is inserted in the originating telephone exchange or IPV  provider.

TALKTALK also need to invesigate their support services in India, as recent information shows that customers CURRENT data (not due to the hack) is still being used by scammers to make these calls.

Pedro1874
Conversation Starter

Well said Stephen.  When are TT going to put up some answers on this Forum?:smileyfrustrated:

TallTrees
Wizz Kid

Lunch time today ~ I had a scam call from a man with a very strong asian accent, giving my name etc., saying he was from TalkTalk the call was ended when he knew I wasn't to be scammed.  Why I write is that I dialled 1471 to get the number but it was withheld so the scammers are getting round the call number barring.  I can't Block the Number either. 

I have the caller display.  Seems that blocking numbers without a number displayed from your end, may help? but if they are using any old number then there is no help at all.

I can only wish you good luck with future methods, in the meantime, I will have to

take care and make my own decisions on how to handle this problem.

Happiness is Bee shaped
TallTrees
Wizz Kid

This is absolutely the best suggestion. 

Happiness is Bee shaped
Figgis
Conversation Starter

Since using Talk Talk's free features to permanently block number witheld numbers I have managed to reduce nuisance calls to a trickle. But there is still scammers getting through showing a 01132...... type number and when I try calling back with 141 hiding my number, the supposed number is not recognised. So, if it's not a recognisable number, why is Talk Talk carrying the call. I hope all telephone providers refuse to carry and connect such calls and perhaps then we will be free to answer our phones without fearing the asian accent of the caller.

Figgis
Pedro1874
Conversation Starter

Exactly Figgis.  Do you know why we are not getting replies from the customer service or Scamming team on this thread?  Because it has a green tick against it.  It has been solved! :quiet:

Figgis
Conversation Starter
Thank you. I didn't notice the green tick.
Preventing scammers will never be solved as they are always one step ahead of the hunters. I may decide to post in a new scam topic to find out about unrecognised numbers that are getting through.
Figgis