Automated phone call claiming to be from TalkTalk.

156 REPLIES 156
Robert44
Chatterbox

I have had an automated phone call from this number 081233472243. It was informing me that my internet connection would be cut at 1pm today, press button 1 to speak to an agent or button 2 to stay connected. I chose to hang up. This is the first time I have had an automated call, I have had a lot of calls lately concerning my internet connection, I always hang up or sometimes they hang up when I tell them I don't believe they're from TalkTalk. They always ask me to turn my computer on, I always refuse.

Hope this is just another scam.

beta-oporus
Conversation Starter

Had the same type of call from 01404160224 ... which I think is Honiton in Devon ... on 3 Mar 2018 12:37 pm 

Alan Chesterman
ex accountant and computer manager. Now retired ... so not worth listening to.
like the usual sort of stuff .. music photography etc
Larkish
First Timer

I had the same call from 01575 969634 I hung up also.

Highlighted
davidwf
Popular Poster
I had the same call, claiming to be from from 01124338041 at 2.15pm today.

I hung up and have reported the number
davidwf
Popular Poster

And another one claimimng to be from 01212109748 at 3.15 pm today.

I hung up again.

Candycrush
First Timer

:I had the same automated call allegedly from talk talk from 01391644635.

RayWelshman
Team Player

Hi All, I had the same phone call this morning from 01749520210

tidewatcher22
Conversation Starter

I had the same automated call from 01395762713 which is a local number. Never pressed any buttons and just hung up. My main concern is that it happened within a few days of reporting a fault on the internet, has this happened to other users? If so, and it is my suspicion, then the information which made this call so plausible came from within TalkTalk. Perhaps anyone else reporting this call could indicate if they had recently reported a fault to see if there is a patern?

MikeDT
Philosopher

To get to the bottom of this scam, someone has to follow the bait and press button 1....

My guess is that if anyone does so they will be sucked into a conversation that will seek private details such as address and ISP provider and perhaps bank details. Other similar scams leave messages saying that in order to avoid being disconnected (or whatever) you have to call them back: and that'll be on a premium rate number starting 09.

The number that appears on your caller display or when you dial 1471 may well be a spoof number and conceal the real identity of the caller. However, TalkTalk is doing lots to try to stop scam calls. For a start you should activate the new Callsafe option on your landline. Full details here: https://help2.talktalk.co.uk/about-callsafe#11806

This should put all but the most determined scammers off because they have to record who they are and why they are calling you. If you choose to let them to speak to you and decide that they are in fact scammers you can give them a fright by pointing out that now they have left a recorded message, voice recognition software these days is perfectly capable of identifying them! You can also immediately bar their number from contacting you again, even if that number was withheld from you (the TalkTalk central system knows what it was and is much less likely to be spoofed). Automated calls you are reporting in this thread will fail at the first step, since they don't realise they are being asked to provide their details.

Mike
I am not a TalkTalk employee, just a customer. If my post has helped you, please "Like" it.
g7mjv
Wizz Kid

Mee too.. 01723 519691 asking me to press 1 for my new router and £150

How do you do that with a rotary dial 🙂

Andy - Salisbury, Wilts
Poops1
Wizz Kid

@tidewatcher22wrote:

I had the same automated call from 01395762713 which is a local number. Never pressed any buttons and just hung up. My main concern is that it happened within a few days of reporting a fault on the internet, has this happened to other users? If so, and it is my suspicion, then the information which made this call so plausible came from within TalkTalk. Perhaps anyone else reporting this call could indicate if they had recently reported a fault to see if there is a patern?

Yes, I've had this happen a few times, most recently today after reporting trouble with my speed dropping. I too suspect that somewhere in the actual technical department, whether it be automated or a real person, there is a leak of information. Of course, having said that, I do get scam calls at other times too, but there always seems to be a spate of them just after I've had to contact TT.

Pauline
cranhpc1
Team Player

I had this one on Monday 19th (which I reported via online chat), the originating number this time looked like a UK mobile but was in fact an invalid number,  now blocked centrally.

cranhpc

cranhpc1
Team Player

Two more automated calls in quick succession this morning, one from a fake landline number which would have been in Northern Ireland if it were valid, the second another fake UK mobile number, which I blocked.

paja32
Wizz Kid

just has call from 07894969857 automated you will be cut off broadband so press 1  or 2

have now blocked it     do not press any buttons just cutoff

Spottyboy
First Timer

I also had same call this morning saying internet was not on 

Annette
Foxylady_55
First Timer

01254896754, 01032873478

Just had these two calls .

First number automated telling me that my internet connection is being cut off today. Press 1 for ok and 2 to speak to agent .

Second number I did not answer , rang off when answering machine was activated. 

I assume they are scams. 

Chouxie
First Timer

I had same automated call from 01210647669. I hung up afterwards.

Oh Happy Days to you all
Gondola
Community Star

Scammers are currently contacting UK households with an automated call advising your broadband will be disconnected and to Press 1 to speak to an engineer or Press 2 to disconnect.

THIS IS A SCAM, DO NOT PRESS ANY NUMBERS.  Simply hang up. To stop these calls contacting you, use your home 'phone to call 1472 to switch on CallSafe. Read more about CallSafe

Gondola - Community contributor

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

Tags (1)
chartman
Chat Champion

Seems the calling numbers can be anything. Mine was from 0197317667. asked to press 1 to prevent my broaband from being disconnected.. Yer right.

Spoke to someone on the live chat and they were 100% disinterested. Complete waste of time.

I guess this is all going back to when TT got fined £400K a year or so ago for letting hackers get in so easily. I guess that's how the scammers have matched my home phone number with my ISP.

Shouldn't TT be sending out a generic warning  ?????

chartman
chartman
Chat Champion

Probably not a lot of point in doing 1472 as the scammers seem to be generating random spoof numbers.... Better for TT to send out a generic warning. I bet most TT customers don't even know that TT have a community forum.....

chartman