Automated phone call claiming to be from TalkTalk.

zebidee88
Enlightened One

I use a Truecall device, it plugs into the phone lie then the phone plugs into it. Currently there is no point blocking numbers as they just use a fake number or work a sim card to death and then get another one. The Truecall is easier to use than callsafe and far cleverer, you decide what you want it to do, Most caller give up when told to press a certain number, then they are told to give their name, until this is done the phone does not even ring. The picture below shows how many duff calls I get since TalkTalk got hacked.

truecall.JPG

ferguson
Community Star

That chart doesn't tell you how many "duff" calls you had, only how many callers gave up, not necessarily the same thing and one of the perils of any screening system.

David631
First Timer

Had a call today from a woman with an Indian accent (assumed was from a genuine call centre) though the line was extremely bad, telling me my internet is going to be cut off, and are my routers lights all working

I hung up

zebidee88
Enlightened One

scam.JPG

I am afraid you are mistaken, I look the numbers up each day and the figures shown are 95% correct. You can dismiss it if you like you are entitled to your opinion, except I know you are wrong as I have access to more data than shown in the previous post. But then I do not have to defend TalkTalk.

zebidee88
Enlightened One

the previous post did not want to include this picture.

scam.JPG

Angelus Lupus
First Timer

I have had this four times in the space of half an hour this morning! Same automated computer voice message each time.

Angelus Lupus
First Timer
Addendum: This is now at least 7 times now!
Gondola
Community Star

Hi @Angelus Lupus 

TalkTalk will never call you unless you've agreed for TalkTalk to call you.

TalkTalk calls that are genuine will pass the CallSafe screening but automated scam calls will not pass.

I'd recommend that you take advantage of CallSafe to block those pesky unwanted scamsters.

CallSafe 

CallSafe is now available. Key 1472 from your 'phone and press 1 to activate another free phone feature from TalkTalk. CallSafe screens callers for you. CallSafe blocks those unwanted callers.

Your wanted callers get straight through but others have to announce themselves by name. At that point, before you're even aware of the call, the scammers usually hang up so you're never disturbed.  It offers the real potential of no unwanted calls.  

You can also activate in MyAccount. Select MyServices > Manage CallSafe and switch ON. Your regularly called numbers will already be on the Approved list and you can add more wanted callers to the Approved list or add numbers to the Blocked list.

The full Help page details are here: About CallSafe (click here) 

And here's a video to explain how CallSafe works:

Gondola - Community contributor

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

Angelus Lupus
First Timer

I am already using callsafe, and block the number each time they call. I report it as a scam, but they seem to have an unlimited supply of new numbers to call from.

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @Angelus Lupus 

Unless there's a new form of automated call dialler, automated calls cannot get through CallSafe. Dial 1472 and what message do you hear?

Gondola - Community contributor

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

PaulBlue
First Timer

I have had a number of automated calls claiming to be from TalkTalk..number 001839849700. The voice caller claimed a fraud was being carried out from my IP address and my Internet Connection was being suspended...now press 1 on your key pad to be connected to...( An 0bvious Scammer).

The scammers are now so obvious and blatantly cheeky.

Jasminebear
First Timer

I had a call today claiming to be from Talk Talk. Press 1 to speak to someone 2 to go ahead and be cut off. What is the purpose of this?

Francitalk
Popular Poster

I am now receiving about 4-6 calls a day from various different phone numbers starting 0125 or 0121. The full numbers are always different but it's always an automated voice supposedly talktalk telling me my internet is going to be terminated today. It is actually getting stressful now. I wish there was a way fro talk talk to block these numbers.

fr8ys
Community Star
Can I ask why you have not considered CallSafe?
I've not had one such call in the couple of years I've been using it.
Please remember to mark Solved Posts with Best Answer. Doing so helps others and saves OCE's time to look at unsolved topics. Thanks, Steve.
Cluster-Lizard
Wizz Kid

Isn't CallSafe a paid for addon? 

That might be one good reason why everyone does not use it. These little paid for addons and changes in the TOS (Terms Of Service) which usually means reduction of services unless you pay extra, ie. we now have to pay to access 1571 voicemail, all add up.

fr8ys
Community Star
No, CallSafe is (currently) free.
Please remember to mark Solved Posts with Best Answer. Doing so helps others and saves OCE's time to look at unsolved topics. Thanks, Steve.
fr8ys
Community Star
Details can be found here. https://www.talktalk.co.uk/shop/security/callsafe
Highlighted
broadstairs
Super Duper Contributor

The issue with Callsafe is that it does not work with home answering machines. Also you cannot turn it off without losing all your settings and numbers, neither can you set it up prior to activation so all your important numbers not already known to TT can be added.

Useless in my view.

Stuart

ferguson
Community Star

@broadstairs wrote:

The issue with Callsafe is that it does not work with home answering machines. Also you cannot turn it off without losing all your settings and numbers, neither can you set it up prior to activation so all your important numbers not already known to TT can be added.

Useless in my view.

Stuart

I think flawed may be fair comment, but "useless" is a bit harsh and there are many testimonies on here as to its efficacy. At the end of the day it is an option which customers are free to choose as to whether to utilise, or not.

MikeDT
Philosopher

@broadstairswrote

The issue with Callsafe is …….. neither can you set it up prior to activation so all your important numbers not already known to TT can be added.

Useless in my view.

-------

This is simply incorrect and you should not be misleading people reading this thread by stating it so boldly. Within the "MyAccount" system, there is a facility to add approved numbers to Callsafe's list and there is no upper limit to the number you can add. Admittedly, they can only be added one-at-a-time: see this URL for the correct page to use: https://www.talktalk.co.uk/my/CallSafe 

Mike
I am not a TalkTalk employee, just a customer. If my post has helped you, please "Like" it.