Automated phone call claiming to be from TalkTalk.

MichaelF
First Timer

Had a call yesterday from 0033719767660 stating my ISP had been compromised in several different countries. it stated they would reset the ISP and send me a new router witih 24/48 hours. Followed by press "1" to speak to a technician. Obviously I didn't press anything.

Spam I presume?

Wendy13
First Timer

We reported a fault on the line a few months ago to talk talk and the following day a scammer rang asking me to turn the computer on. He knew I had reported a fault.

andybrum
First Timer

I had an Internet problem fixed on 08 Aug by Openreach (via TalkTalk).  Since then I have been getting a lot of scam calls.

I have now signed up for CallSafe, so hopefully they will now be blocked.

arnie3
First Timer
had the same 10 minutes ago. You can't trust anyone
Paula7
Chatterbox
Hello l had a call today from 01295385312 at 10.49 telling me my internet would be cut off ,telling me to press numbers ,l did nothing but hung up ,funny thing is l have a on going fault with talktalk ,l did think it might be someone getting my number from that source
Paula7
Chatterbox
Hello yes l had such calls and l have a on going problem with speed ,l had a call this morning from 01295385312 saying my internet would be cut off ,l did think at the time if information had been leaked from talktalk somehow
Doc21
Popular Poster

I had the same call this morning, tried to report it to TalkTalk, but it said I had to join the community. Went onto live chat and they just weren't interested. TalkTalk should make the reporting and dealing with scam calls a priority and so much easier, especially after the data breach.

We got a new number from TalkTalk but we are still getting TalkTalk scams. Thinking about moving.

trebor52
First Timer

Received a recorded message at 9:15am today from telephone number 01252718046. Informing me they were from TalkTalk and our internet connection would be turned off today if we did not press option1. 

RoyMarsh
First Timer

Had an automated call from 01708162950. Same drill. Threatening cut of at 1pm etc.

grannykath3
First Timer

Just had a call from  0108565298 claiming to be from Talk Talk to say that my internet was going to be cut off. I told her that I thought that this was a scam and hung up. 

GEJAD
First Timer

Have just had an identical call - this time from 01280801505. This is the second scam call purporting to come from TalkTalk in the last 24 hours. Other than this forum is their a formal procedure where these numbers can be reported to TalkTalk for them to investigate?

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @GEJAD

Use Check & Report (Click here). That number hasn't been reported yet so you can be the first.

Also take advantage of CallSafe to screen those pesky unwanted scamsters.

CallSafe 

CallSafe - Key 1472 from your 'phone and press 1 to activate another free phone feature from TalkTalk. CallSafe screens callers for you. CallSafe blocks those unwanted callers.

Your wanted callers get straight through but others have to announce themselves by name. At that point, before you're even aware of the call, the scammers usually hang up so you're never disturbed.  It offers the real potential of no unwanted calls.  

You can also activate in MyAccount. Select MyServices > Manage CallSafe and switch ON. Your regularly called numbers will already be on the Approved list and you can add more wanted callers to the Approved list or add numbers to the Blocked list.

Here's a video to explain how CallSafe works:

Gondola - Community contributor

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

chartman
Chat Champion
The number is probably computer generated. Second, it's not TalkTalks fault . You should sign up for Call Safe like many of us have already done. Simple, easy to use and very effective.....
chartman
Doc21
Popular Poster

Sorry Chartman, I have to disagree with you on that one. It IS TalkTalk's fault. We have been plagued with these calls since the huge data breach. TalkTalk changed our number eventually, and we STILL get them. We don't get calls saying the scammers are from o2 or Vodaphone or Plusnet. They know we are with TalkTalk.

Customer service is a joke. No other company would use a forum to deal with scam calls they have caused themselves through lax security.

As soon as my contract is up, I'm leaving TalkTalk for good.

Seeker
Team Player

It's very much TalkTalk's fault.  Owing to very poor web security a large number of  account numbers, names & phone numbers were obtained by hackers in 2015.

Since then we've been periodically deluged by these calls.  They are declining now, but still active from time to time.

TalkTalk was fined a record £400,000 by the regulator for this breach, which was an open gate to the simplest of hacks

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @Doc21

Just to highlight something to you. You've been given a 'phone number from a number range allocated by Ofcom to TalkTalk.  The scammers call numbers at random and they'll target specific TalkTalk number ranges to have a high probability of targeting TalkTalk customers.

But Virgin Media, BT, Plusnet, Vodafone, EE and O2 customers all get these scam calls with 'spoofed numbers'.  It's a national issue not related to 'data breaches'.

BT have Call Protect to screen callers and TalkTalk have CallSafe. Try it.  It's free.

Doc21
Popular Poster

Not related to 'Data breaches' Gondola? Really????

How did the scammers get the range of numbers allocated to TalkTalk if not through the data breach?

If TalkTalk had been a responsible company they would have asked for a new range of numbers and not just regurgitated the old ones to customers wanting new numbers. 

Maybe you could explain why TalkTalk repeatedly comes bottom of National customer satisfaction reviews please?

chartman
Chat Champion

OK, I forgot about that... but still get call safe any way. I've had TT for 18 months and only had the odd scam call untill I activated call safe. Now there's nothing.  Issuing a new block of numbers is pointless for existing customers.... I wouldn't want to update all my contacts with a new number again. I had to do it when we moved.....

chartman
Gondola
Community Star

Hi @Doc21

Ofcom publish number ranges allocated to Communications Providers (CP's). Yes, really.

My 'phone number hasn't been leaked by TalkTalk. It was leaked by Equifax in the hack of their systems in 2017. Just this as an example to you that just because a number is allocated to a CP doesn't mean that the CP is 'responsible' for scam calls.

As for customer satisfaction, Ofcom have said that 8 out of 10 broadband customers are satisfied with their service but that TalkTalk customers are less satisfied than customers with other CP's. 30 complaints per 100,000 customers. But when you look at the data it's not that much different between the CP's.

OFCOM Complaints top of the lists (Jan 2018 from survey Q3 2017)
Home Broadband - TalkTalk - 30 complaints per 100,000 customers
Home Phone - Post Office - 24 complaints per 100,000 customers
Pay TV - BT - 14 complaints per 100,000 customers
Pay monthly mobile - Vodafone - 10 complaints per 100,000 customers

As we're talking about Home Phone in this thread it would seem that you've overlooked that the Post Office topped the complaints list for Home Phone.

Doc21
Popular Poster

Hi Gondola

Here's something you've overlooked - your figures are out of date.

OFCOM published 2018 Q1 figures on 18th July.....Guess who is number 1 complained about provider of Landline services with 20 complaints per 100,000 customers??? 25% more complaints than the 2nd position provider.

Post Office are in 4th place with 12 complaints per 100,000

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/about-ofcom/latest/features-and-news/telecoms-pay-tv-complaints-q1-2018

I have TT for my TV, broadband and phone, and have had cause to compain about the braodband as well.  I have been with TT for about 5 years now, but the service is going down the pan, and until they face up to having an obviously flawed business model, and actually ask customers what they can do to improve their services and then carry out those suggestions, they will continue to top complaint tables. I will be leaving as soon as my contract expires. I know I'll pay more per month, but I'll get a better service for my money.

So, why do YOU think TT are the most complained about home phone and Broadband provider?