Automated phone call claiming to be from TalkTalk.

RayWelshman
Team Player

Hi all, there is now little point in adding numbers to this list any more, the Indian fraudsters are generating spoof numbers..

I would like to know if Talktalk closed the Indian call center after several employees were arrested last year?

Regards, Ray..

chartman
Chat Champion

Looks like they didn't manage to close the centre, or they've just moved on- new company, new premises etc.*@#][!![]'#[@#]!*. Us that are savvy are safe. I feel for all the poor non tech types that will get frightened into replying.

chartman
Gondola
Community Star

Hi @chartman

Customers being normal people tend to ignore generic warnings. Use 1472 to activate CallSafe and it doesn't matter what spoof number the scammers use because you'll never see that when the scammer just hangs up and goes away frustrated.

Gondola - Community contributor

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

Tags (1)
Gondola
Community Star

Hi Ray

TalkTalk ceased the Indian call-centre last year and terminated WIPRO the call centre operator.

I'd recommend that you report the numbers with Check and Report so they can be blocked and also take advantage of CallSafe to block those pesky unwanted scamsters

The new Check and Report   service is now available to check on telephone numbers calling you and to report these if it is a scam or nuisance call. Click here for Check and Report.

With Check and Report you are in control of your call security.  Check who called you - if it’s a troublesome caller that's already been reported you'll be advised and if it's a new nuisance caller then Report them. TalkTalk will investigate and if appropriate will block that caller for all TalkTalk customers.

Don’t know the number or it's not a regular number? Then head over to our Scam Form where you can report a scammer without knowing their phone number.

CallSafe 

CallSafe is now available. Key 1472 from your 'phone and press 1 to activate another free phone feature from TalkTalk. CallSafe screens callers for you. CallSafe blocks those unwanted callers.

Your wanted callers get straight through but others have to announce themselves by name. At that point, before you're even aware of the call, the scammers usually hang up so you're never disturbed.  It offers the real potential of no unwanted calls.  

You can also activate in MyAccount. Select MyServices > Manage CallSafe and switch ON. Your regularly called numbers will already be on the Approved list and you can add more wanted callers to the Approved list or add numbers to the Blocked list.

The full Help page details are here: CallSafe (Click here)

And here's a video to explain how CallSafe works:

RayWelshman
Team Player

@Gondola

There is no point reporting the numbers using Check and Report, these fake numbers change evey time, so the ammount of numbers could be in many thousands each week.

Gondola
Community Star

Hi Ray

The scammers will continue to use a spoofed / fake number until it gets blocked on the network then they'll move on.

So it is an ongoing fight. But by having a number blocked it means some people are spared the fake call and the scammer has to change the number which takes seconds but still interrupts them.

The network already blocks millions of calls automatically so it's just dealing with the fewer number that don't get blocked straight away. 

Tags (1)
chartman
Chat Champion
Call safe looks an excellent idea. Even though I've had great pleasure in stringing along some scammers that tell me I have a virus 🙂
chartman
Gondola
Community Star

Hi chartman

Yes, if you're savvy with the computer and quick thinking you can adopt the 'string them along' technique and have fun so long as you don't get stressed out and are immune to the inevitable foul language emitted by the scammer and you don't mind the follow up disturbance calls at all hours!

But I do worry about more vulnerable people that can get easily stressed, scammed and suffer if they have to take a scam call.  I've not had a single scam call since last November. 

I used to adopt the technique of looking at the number display and if I didn't recognise I didn't pick up. But with CallSafe I haven't even been disturbed once. No silent calls, no automated calls, not even any wrong number calls which is surprising. All the calls I want come straight through.  New callers that leave a message get added to my list and if I expect to have them call me again they're on the Approved list.

Tags (1)
Seeker
Team Player

Hi All

Thanks for posting details.  I had the automated call today.  I'm usually able to deal with the scammers, but this one took me by surprise.  I didn't press any button, just hung up

Number was blocked..  

nick123
Wizz Kid

Hi I have had a few of these calls until I wait till they have started talking then I say sorry you have reached so and so police station funny I have not had any phone calls since

nick white
Sharon18
First Timer

Hi just had an automated call today about broadband being stopped (from Talttalk) Tel No 01729364285. Now activated call safe and reported this current number, but it will only change i suppose. 

jaspro
Team Player

Had the same phone call claiming to be from TalkTalk, that my account will be terminated if I don’t respond. So hung up, call number was 03001234028, probably a spurious Number.

RayWelshman
Team Player

03001234028 belongs to Southampton Community Independence Service Central this is a NHS number for..... 

Royal South Hants Hospital, Brintons Terrace, Southampton, Hampshire, SO14 0YG

jaspro
Team Player
Sorry I added the wrong number this was an outgoing call I made recently. Should have added 01263673230 the scammers phone number.
JHeadford
First Timer

I have also had 2 calls today. One at 12.35pm from 02136 241595 where a woman claimed she was from talktalk and wanted to discuss my internet connection. I refused to speak to her and blocked the number. Unfortunately, the phone rang again just now (same number that I had "blocked") and an automated message told me that my internet would be disconnected. I hung up, tried to phone Talktalk, listened to the message from Talktalk about hoax calls and have decided that I do not need to worry. Hope so! 

adswoodartist
First Timer

I had exactly the same call telling me my internet was not on (which it was). I then pretended to follow his instructions to see what happened. After I had pretended to press a couple of buttons and typed in the email address he gave me he then asked what I saw on my screen. I think he expected me to see a ransom notice and he was quite surprised when I said "Nothing". I have now enabled Callsafe.

davemk39
Wizz Kid

just had an automated call.

do they honestly believe i will trust a robotic voice more than a bangladeshi accent?

Cluster-Lizard
Wizz Kid

Had one of these automated calls about half an hour ago claiming my IP address had been compromised in "......several countries........".

Obvious and ridiculous phishing attempt but it still annoys me that I can get such a call as in recent months cold callers and other nuisance calls have been almost non-existent.

Still a salutory reminder that these scumbags are out there and active.

Cluster-Lizard
Wizz Kid

Just had another one of those and top it all it actually left the message in my voicemail.

Soundman1
First Timer

I had one today from 0157896546.  Sounded American.  Female.  Used the phrase "fix up the problem" which doesn't sound very British to me.