Automated phone call claiming to be from TalkTalk.

Gondola
Community Star

...well that's good that as a result of the previous survey TalkTalk has reduced the Broadband complaint numbers. And others like the Post Office that topped the previous Home Phone report have done much better. 

So, overall, it's going in the right direction. Could be better of course.

But this topic is about scammers and things to prevent scammers interrupting our lives like the free CallSafe. As a result of the Equifax hack I started to receive scam calls. As a result of the use of CallSafe I've had no scam calls since November 2017 when I activated CallSafe.

I hope you're moving to an ISP that has something similar looking after customers.

Gondola - Community support team

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

Seeker
Team Player

This is certainly not the case with the calls I receive.  I do not have my phone service from TT, only broadband, but the scammers not only know that I am with TT but also use my name.

Kizzles
First Timer

Not a Talk Talk customer.

Had the same call saying that the internet would be shut off happened at least 3 to 4 times a day so today I pressed 1.

After waiting a short time and them asking me if I was so and so blah blah didnt agree I was or wasnt btw. He went on to tell me that my internet connection was sending error code to the main motherboard that issues not only Talk Talk their internet but apparently gives every provider in the UK their internet. "Fishy, trust me I know" so as I am not a Talk talk customer I thought I would find out what's going on. I asked him so if you are going to suspend my internet service why has my provider *dont give no names!* the one I pay a monthly fee to not advised me this was going to happen and if they supply all the providers with internet then why is a higher technical company that is ment to have a contract with the providers that we pay, wasting their time calling every customer that apparently has a dodgy internet line and not sorting it with the providers???? RED WARNINGS.... He didn't know how to answer, all he could repeatedly say was ma'am listen we provide etc. After probing further and asking him for a manager, complaints number or HR. He threatened to cut off all internet for 2months and there is nothing you can do about it. Oh no, think someone has got a little bit angry "go for it mate" as I bite back and after a few nasty words and exchanges. He finally gave up after 30mins and hung up on me.

What a joke called up talk talk explained the situation to a lovely person who was understanding and reported it.

Scam Number: 01494802213

Remember your actual provider will be patient with you don't feel pressured in to giving the scam calls any details. If in doubt ring back your provider from a listed number and ask!

Your friendly neighbour!

pepper22
First Timer
We were called today by “Alan Alyssius at talktalk” who seemed to have an Indian accent. Immediately I asked him to prove he was genuine by telling me what details he had. He then told me our Account Holders’s name, full address, email address, and Account Number. Then insisted he would disconnect us from talktalk internet if I didn’t follow his instructions on my PC which were: run eventvwr then type [I’m leaving gaps otherwise it creates a link] www. tinyurl .com talktalkserver1
Of course I didn’t do that. He gave up.
I reported the two numbers these scammers called from to talktalk. They will block / investigate.
But HOW did he know all our details, particularly our Account Number ???
Only talktalk should have that.
MikeDT
Philosopher

@pepper22 wrote:
We were called today by “Alan Alyssius at talktalk” who seemed to have an Indian accent. Immediately I asked him to prove he was genuine by telling me what details he had. He then told me our Account Holders’s name, full address, email address, and Account Number. Then insisted he would disconnect us from talktalk internet if I didn’t follow his instructions on my PC which were: run eventvwr then type [I’m leaving gaps otherwise it creates a link] www. tinyurl .com talktalkserver1
Of course I didn’t do that. He gave up.
I reported the two numbers these scammers called from to talktalk. They will block / investigate.
But HOW did he know all our details, particularly our Account Number ???
Only talktalk should have that.

Two likely possibilities. 1) He was using the details obtained by hackers a few years ago: TalkTalk were given a large fine for losing this information but didn't change the account numbers.

2) He may have confidently quoted a long string of numbers that actually weren't your account. I certainly don't know my account number without looking it up - it's hardly a number I'm using every day! Are you sure that was what he gave you?

This is a nasty scam because it is trying to use the tinyurl facility to direct you to some website that you won't recognise until it is too late - presumably it would have gone on to install nasty malwear.

This version of the standard eventvwr scam is unusual, because the more normal version (which has been tried on me dozens of times) is to persuade you to link up with a remote assistance server from a legitimate company like teamviewer, then gain control of your PC that way. I believe that the earlier version of the scam has become so common that TalkTalk is now blocking Teamviewer, a rather controversial move as the software has many legitimate uses.

Bottom line is that you can stop all this nonsense by switching on Callsafe, as recommended earlier in this thread. Since doing so a few months ago I've had not a single scam call.

Mike
I am not a TalkTalk employee, just a customer. If my post has helped you, please "Like" it.
pepper22
First Timer

Mike you say you are not a talktalk employee, but hopefully they read these posts. This scammer definitely knew our Account Number. I’m accustomed to answering  the phone with a pen in my hand  and writing. I checked while he continued talking. All very well to suggest we use Callsafe now to prevent unwanted calls but that is not the issue.  Our private data  - which should have been secure - has already been stolen.

This probably dates back to the cyber attack October 2015 after which talktalk was fined. 

The  Information Commissioner’s Office (UK’s data privacy watchdog ) website covers this:  “TalkTalk cyber attack – how the ICO’s investigation unfolded”. 

But that was four years ago. 

Now Sept 2018 we receive this scam call quoting our Account Number to us. 

Why has talktalk not re-issued new account numbers?

Yesterday during online conversation with talktalk’s  Chat service (when I reported the two numbers that called ) I asked how had the scammer obtained our Account Number?  

The typed reply was,

“Scammers usually have their own tools to check the details of the customer. But I can assure you that your bank details are secured because even us can't see the full details”.

No mention the 2015 cyber attack.

In my own opinion, I suspect that our personal data may have since been sold on.  We are hereafter vulnerable. Whoever they are, they have our full name, full address, email address, account number. Yes we can use Callsafe but that merely stops phone calls. Due to breach of private data,  they can now search the internet for us, or even sit outside our house watching.

chartman
Chat Champion

I hear what you say and sympathise, but move on and stop worrying.... the scammers only interest is to get into your PC so that they can do real damage. They are not going to be sitting outside your door. They are sitting in some dingy hole in Nigeria or Russia.

chartman
Jemoss26
First Timer

Had a number of calls saying that the internet will be disconnected. This has happened a few days after reporting internet speed slowing down. Each call was from a different number.

After one I called the number back to find that it was a private house, obviously the number had been cloned.

From what others have said there appears to be a connection between contacting talk talk and these calls

Caruska
First Timer

I’ve contacted Tt over the last 2 days and now my landline is being bombarded with automated scam calls claiming to be from talktalk  , 6 times in the last 4 hours , I don’t see it as just a coincidence, I’m not going to beat around the bush I can only conclude that the staff at these call centres are selling numbers knowing these are active numbers since they’ve recently been contacted from them , does anyone from talktalk actually visit these places? For all I know the autodialler is sitting on the desk next to them.

Caruska
Gondola
Community Star

Hi Caruska

...and yet I've contacted TalkTalk recently and I've had no scam calls.

Of course, I use the free TalkTalk CallSafe and automated scam calls don't get past the CallSafe screening. You should try CallSafe.  If you don't like it then remove it without any cost.

But TalkTalk staff know I have CallSafe active so you'd think that if a scammer was aware of that they'd leave a message to try to get me to pick up and then try to scam me. But that doesn't happen.  Strange that if your suspect scammer is who you think it is.

And yes, I'm aware that TalkTalk do carry out inspections, reviews and updating of the offshore teams. The core offshore team have no means of originating outgoing calls and only authorised managers can originate logged outgoing calls from the building.

Doc21
Popular Poster

Gondola

May I ask, are you an employee of TalkTalk?

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @Doc21

Nice to meet up again. What an expected pleasure. But for everyone else...

Click the asterisk in my signature panel for a little Introduction. Or click my avatar and read A little about me - my Community Bio. Or there's the About The Community Blog that explains what a Community Star is.

Community Stars. Customers just like you who love to help. With a wealth of experience our Stars are always on hand to offer help and advice to point you in the right direction.

Doc21
Popular Poster

Thank you for that Gondola, it's just you seem to be quite an apologist for TT, with a lot of inside knowledge for just a 'common or garden' customer. Do you get special briefings or information provided?

Have you visited the quaintly named 'offshore teams'? You state: "And yes, I'm aware that TalkTalk do carry out inspections, reviews and updating of the offshore teams. The core offshore team have no means of originating outgoing calls and only authorised managers can originate logged outgoing calls from the building."

And how does that disavow Caruska's suggestion that TT 'offshore team' members could be selling customer numbers?

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @Doc21

I gave you advice on your previous assumption about how scammers get information about TalkTalk 'phone numbers. 

Anyway, you've said you're leaving TalkTalk.  So your anti TalkTalk customer rhetoric isn't helpful to other customers. 

You'll find out soon enough that scam calls plague all ISP's.

Here's a typical example from BT's Community. It covers in one thread a customer with a new number (just like you had), a comment from a Distinguished Sage saying there are numerous posts about scam calls, comments about never having scam calls with a previous ISP and "maybe BT have a mole in their Indian call centre?".

Maybe this, maybe that, Call Me Maybe.  Realise that you cannot fight the scammers you just have to defeat them.  So, as I said before, if you go to BT use CallProtect and with TalkTalk use CallSafe.

And if you don't want these free services then there are call-blocker phones to buy or just screen calls manually with Caller Display and don't answer if you don't recognise and let the call go to answerphone. 

From Monday 1 October 2018 all ISP's must provide free Caller Display as part of OFCOM's ongoing fight against scam calls and making it easier for customers to screen out those unwanted calls.  So good luck.  At least wherever you go you'll get free Caller Display.

Doc21
Popular Poster

Gondola

Nice avoidance of any answer to every allegation. I call BS

You are just another member of TT staff, pretending to be an ordinary customer.

One would have thought TT would have learned to be truthful to real customers by now, hiding the truth and lying is what caught TT out in the first place over the data loss.

Your obvious inside information, TT apologism, pretense about your role and blaming of real customers who have valid points and issues with TT are more problematic and insulting to users of this forum than any of my 'rhetoric'.

And by the way - i'm not 'Anti TT customer'....I'm anti TT customer services... oh, and anti lies from undercover TT customer relations

Gondola
Community Star

@Doc21

Anti-TalkTalk allegations.  Delusions still don't warrant any further reasonable reasoned response from this customer.  Bye.

Doc21
Popular Poster

Back on the phones Gondola. You're busted 

DerekL
Conversation Starter

I've had 5 calls today claiming to be from TalkTalk. Computerised voice message saying my Internet Line will be disconnected and to press button 1 to speak to an agent, or button 2 to stay connected. Ignored call.
Numbers were :

martdy1
Conversation Starter

Also up to 5 calls today so far..

Ridiculous

Blocked and reported , 

Martin
chartman
Chat Champion
Not a lot of point in reporting the numbers...
chartman