Automated phone call claiming to be from TalkTalk.

Barbara18
First Timer

I have had seven calls since 8.45 this morning

Have reported them all

martdy1
Conversation Starter
And another .!
Martin
scete
Popular Poster

I have had three today saying my internet will be terminated.

I said 'good now I can change supplier' they hung up.

Linda28
First Timer

I  have had 4 automatic calls in 3 hours today from different numbers all beginning 0128 claiming my internet connection was going to be terminated today 

fr8ys
Community Star

Callsafe was the answer for me. Since having this last year, I've not had one scam call.

Admittedly I do have one issue with callsafe in that the voicemail does not work properly with announcing your non approved callers, but if it's important they call back. Adding my phone book manually to my whitelist via My Account minimised inconvenience for me.

I'd be interested to know why those getting volume scam calls are not interested in or prepared to give callsafe a go.

Please remember to mark Solved Posts with Best Answer. Doing so helps others and saves OCE's time to look at unsolved topics. Thanks, Steve.
kenjbod
Popular Poster

I have switched on CallSafe and giving it a try, I will see how it works out.

westonaj
First Timer

Just had same call from 01284 351964 - just hung up

broadstairs
Super Duper Contributor

I have started to get between 3 and 5 calls per day of this type of scam. Really annoying however I am not in a position to activate callsafe as I get genuine calls from numbers I cannot predict but need the calls put through so a message can be left on my answerphone.

TT really need to find a way to detect spoofed caller-id numbers and not allow the calls to get through. Everytime I have one of these calls the number is different both in area code and number.

Stuart

chartman
Chat Champion
That's precisely the problem Spoofed numbers cannot be detected electronically.Calls via callsafe can all get through (with the EXCEPTION of 'caller witheld numbers which are ALWAYS blocked) by pressing either '1' ( allow in the future) or '2' allow just this once. I think '3' blocks the number and puts it in your 'blocked list'. You can always go back und unlist a blocked number. Hope that hapls you chose call safe......
PS I'm nothing to do with TT and I do have call safe having got fed up with the scammers. And I'm an OAP
chartman
MikeDT
Philosopher

@broadstairs wrote:

TT really need to find a way to detect spoofed caller-id numbers and not allow the calls to get through. Everytime I have one of these calls the number is different both in area code and number.

I don't think that automatic rejection of spoofed numbers is likely to be technically feasible anytime soon: if it was, telcos would already have implemented it.

What TalkTalk programmers ought to be able to do quite easily is to alter Callsafe. At present if there is no answer after a certain time-period, white-listed callers get the opportunity to leave a message you can retrieve on 1571. Callers not on this list just get the standard "leave your name" message. Most authentic callers don't realise they could (and should in this case) leave a longer message. Hearing just a name from 1571 is better than nothing: for example I recently had a call from my doctor, who wasn't using a white-listed number. However, recognising the voice and name I knew to call back. However, I appreciate that in many cases the name alone won't be enough.

I suggest you start a separate thread specifically asking the OCE to ask for Callsafe to be upgraded in this way - then it would be nearly ideal!

Mike
I am not a TalkTalk employee, just a customer. If my post has helped you, please "Like" it.
davep
Enlightened One

doesn't call safe have an announce system?

My BT8500 has this and anyone wanting to speak to me uses the message and I pick up.  No automated calls get through this and no scammers for almost 3 years now.  Not cheap, but very effective and has been endorsed by several forum members.  I do not have a vested interest in BT phones, others are available, it was my son who had these free when BT messed up his new connection and he finally found a Xmas present for us!

fr8ys
Community Star

@chartman wrote:
That's precisely the problem Spoofed numbers cannot be detected electronically.Calls via callsafe can all get through (with the EXCEPTION of 'caller witheld numbers which are ALWAYS blocked) by pressing either '1' ( allow in the future) or '2' allow just this once. I think '3' blocks the number and puts it in your 'blocked list'. You can always go back und unlist a blocked number. Hope that hapls you chose call safe......
PS I'm nothing to do with TT and I do have call safe having got fed up with the scammers. And I'm an OAP

Sorry @chartman, but they can't get through unless they are on your whitelist, and the only way they can get through is that you have authorised them. Most scammers, when faced with having to announce themselves and leaving their details won't do so and therefore hang up. Even spoofed numbers (if the system does not read the correct originating number, which I think it does), would have to be in your whitelist and the chances of a spoofed number selecting one you have authorised would be astronomical.

Please remember to mark Solved Posts with Best Answer. Doing so helps others and saves OCE's time to look at unsolved topics. Thanks, Steve.
chartman
Chat Champion
I think you'r wrong... If a spoofed number, or any other 'unknown' number calls me, I get a message saying 'do you want to accept this call' That's assuming that the person the other end actually WANTS me to talk to them, i.e. my doctor etc. I then have the option of pressing 1,2 or 3. So, to be clear, any number not on my whitelist will initially get blocked unless I accept.
chartman
fr8ys
Community Star

I think we may have got our lines crossed. I read your initial post as spoofed numbers get through without your being able to accept or reject the call, so scam calls were getting through.

What you are describing is how callsafe works, any caller who wishes to announce themselves will do so, giving you the option whether to accept or reject. Not sure how else you would want it to work.

My point is scammers won't normally announce themselves.

broadstairs
Super Duper Contributor

This thread is getting a tad confusing. Just to reiterate I am unable to use callsafe is because of the way it works. I need unknown numbers to get through in case they are important callers and want them to leave a message when I'm out and I need the message on my own answerphone not on the TT 1571 service because unless I remember to pick up the phone I have no idea anyone even called.

So I'm sure there must be a way to detect a call is not from the caller ID provided especially as these calls probably originate from an international system. They could then stop them.

Stuart

unclevanya
Popular Poster

I too have been getting scam phone call allegedly from TalkTalk. TalkTalk have closed down some of the Indian Customer call centres due to the high levels of complaints. I beleive that the TalkTalk call centres are now relocated back to the UK where they should be, and NOT abroad.

When I get these scam calls, there is always something that gives them away - Chi-Chi indian accents. I always swear at them in good four letter Anglo-Saxon wordage, and also some nasty Hindi swear words about "Doing sexual things with goats, camels and sheep". then I put the phone down. the *@#][!![]'#[@#]!* are not detered, they still keep calling and it is diffifuclt to block them because they sometimes use VOI (Voice over Internet) (usually Skye) to bypass any blocking.

UncleVanya
broadstairs
Super Duper Contributor

I have started to get calls again now with two in the past couple of hours. The numbers are always different and now it starts with a pre-recorded message about being from TT Technical Department in an Indian sounding accent. As I have said earlier I cannot use Callsafe or block withheld numbers because of the importance and type of calls I get currently. This is extremely annoying and my wife is at a loss to understand why TalkTalk are unable (or maybe unwilling to spend the money) to find a fix for this. I have in the past been offered a phone number swap but not sure this will fix it as it could be a previously used TT number and not one which has never been used, plus in addition it means a huge amount of work to inform everyone.

TT need to get a handle on this totally unacceptable situation.

Stuart

nick123
Wizz Kid

Hi Stuart can I make a suggestion you could always do what we did which is if you can afford it maybe buy a 1 set or 2 set 3set all depends on how many you want but we bought some BT8600 trio phones which are powered by Truecall and stops nuisance calls because we had enough of these bogus calls and I'm disabled and in and out of hospital and doctors appointments and these phones have made one hell of a difference in the way they stop these calls dead in their tracks and have given me and my family a real peace of mind I found them easy to set up and they are what I would say the best investment we have ever made in phones I hope this may help and if you need any more help on this matter I will but I do not work so I'm here and I am nothing to do with TalkTalk  only a broadband/T.V customer

nick white
fr8ys
Community Star

@broadstairs wrote:

I have started to get calls again now with two in the past couple of hours. The numbers are always different and now it starts with a pre-recorded message about being from TT Technical Department in an Indian sounding accent. As I have said earlier I cannot use Callsafe or block withheld numbers because of the importance and type of calls I get currently. This is extremely annoying and my wife is at a loss to understand why TalkTalk are unable (or maybe unwilling to spend the money) to find a fix for this. I have in the past been offered a phone number swap but not sure this will fix it as it could be a previously used TT number and not one which has never been used, plus in addition it means a huge amount of work to inform everyone.

TT need to get a handle on this totally unacceptable situation.

Stuart

Whilst I understand your frustration, this is an industry wide issue and not one that is within only TalkTalk's pervue. If you were to look at other providers forums you will see the same issues reported there.

TalkTalk do block many calls before they hit the customer, but the scammers just set up new ones to get around the block.

TalkTalk do have a reporting facility that goes some way to helping them block such numbers and details can be found here.

broadstairs
Super Duper Contributor

As well meaning as the two recent updates are I cannot agree with either.

Firstly why should I have to spend £££ on a new phone system which will only complicate the issue of receiving calls from numbers which I am not aware of (or withheld ones).

Secondly if this is such a huge issue as you are making out fr8ys I am at a loss to know why the various telcos cannot get together and fix this, after all the network is run by computers these days and as a software engineer of some 40+ years standing I cannot believe it is not possible to find a solution IF and only IF they decide to throw money at it. Now I dont believe these companis will do this because the ONLY benefit is customer satisfaction which less face it does not add up in the eyes of accountants who only look at £££ saved.

So please no more solutions where I have to spend £££ to solve an issue which is not my responsiblity and no more suggestions that this is too big an issue to fix.

We need a proper technical solution to this issue and we need it now.

Stuart