Automated phone call claiming to be from TalkTalk.

fr8ys
Community Star
Totally wrong @broadstairs.
It add numbers you have phoned recently, automatically, and you can then add those not phoned recently quite quickly via my account.
The only thing you can't do us access the callsafe number listings before activation., but are you really going to get hundreds of calls immediately you've activated it? In reality no, so adding numbers is, as I say, quite quick.
As I previously mentioned, I've not had one scam call in over 2 years.
Please remember to mark Solved Posts with Best Answer. Doing so helps others and saves OCE's time to look at unsolved topics. Thanks, Steve.
fr8ys
Community Star
@broadstairs, I should also add that I have just bought new Panasonic handsets, and am pleased to say that the recorded message for those not in your call list, is now recorded with their name, so you know who phoned. They can't leave a message unless you have approved them, but this is the same with 1571, and now there is a charge for this, it should help others to decide whether to use their own phones voicemail.
I'm pleased it's now working.
Please remember to mark Solved Posts with Best Answer. Doing so helps others and saves OCE's time to look at unsolved topics. Thanks, Steve.
broadstairs
Super Duper Contributor

OK but flawed is not really harsh enough, seriously flawed in design and implementation is probably better. However I dont want to have to change my answer phone simply because there is no way to test if it works and I will never use their 1571 service because there is no notification without lifting the phone, and having to pay for it to use Callsafe is in my view not much short of a rip-off.

Stuart

fr8ys
Community Star
There is a way to test it. Turn it on and call your home phone (or get someone to call it) and see what happens.
Then, once you've tested it and if don't like it, then disable it. It won't cost you anything to try, but to try and rubbish, what many find useful, without having tried it, across multiple threads too, is harsh.
ferguson
Community Star

OK, I think everybody has had a fair crack at this. At the end of the day CallSafe is one of a number of tools which can be deployed to help Beat the Scammers which is what this discussion is about. Not the pros and cons of any particular approach, which will always be subject to individual opinion. So let's leave it at that for now please.

Angelus Lupus
First Timer

Regardless of the efficacy (or not) of callsafe (I have tried it in the pat and found it unsuitable), my main complaint was, and still is, that at least 90% of the nuisance calls I get are this fake TalkTalk scam. (Sidebar, using the block last number feature seems to stop the other calls).

I simply thought that TalkTalk themselves would be a little more pro-active on their part in stopping an apparently widespread scam that was using their name.

fr8ys
Community Star
If only it were that simple. For every TalkTalk scam phone call, there is probably the equivalent BT scam phone call. It's why BT and TT have their versions of CallSafe that customers can use.
zebidee88
Enlightened One
I don't use callsafe but having read the posts in this thread, it is free and seems better than nothing.
sutton4
Team Player

Why is it possible for scam calls to be sent from phantom numbers so it is impossible to block them?

ferguson
Community Star

@sutton4 wrote:

Why is it possible for scam calls to be sent from phantom numbers so it is impossible to block them?

The price to pay for having an open international telephone system based on old technology which is capable of being usurped by modern technology I guess. You?

JamesIII
First Timer

I have had as many as 6 of these calls in a day and have now set a blocker on my phone.

Is Talk Talk aware of these and what are they doing to prevent these unwanted, possibly dangerous, calls?

JamesIII

Sarahbedford
Visitor

I am receiving lots of calls from a person/call centre stating they are from Talk Talk and that my internet has been compromised and someone has hacked into it.  They then ask me to log onto my computer so they can help solve issue. I haven’t done so as I believe this is a scam.  I haven’t been a customer of talk talk for at least 5 years.  Despite me telling them that they keep on saying the line is still with them. They  are very persistent.  

Seeker
Team Player

Hello Sarah

This is certainly a scam.   Do not let them have control of your computer.  The official advice is to hang up on all these calls.  Do not give them any information.