Call Pretending to be From TalkTalk

23 REPLIES 23
Not-Happy
Enlightened One

I got a call today at 9:11am 

and on the 3rd at 12:08

and 7/10/2016 at 2:17

Number unavailable

Claming to be from TalkTalk he said my computer is sending them errors and warnings 

Sounded to be from india

I would like to know how they know i am a tt customer and have my number

I am a lot happier when I don't have to deal with TalkTalk customer services on the phone
talbotvanman
Team Player

I dont think these people know who you are with or that they even know 

you have a computer. They work on percentages like I did when cold calling

for an insurance company. My last call (why are they always Indian sounding 

arousing suspicion immediatley !) was supposedly from Microsoft claiming

I had a fault.I said I didnt have a computer and they put the phone down on me 

proving my point I hope !

Steamywee
Wizz Kid

Hi there Not-Happy, I too have had the little sod calling me today, ...three times with a similar tale about reports of my Internet connection slowing down and inviting me to sit at my computer whilst he sorts out the problem!

I think this is a variation on the "Hello, I'm from Microsoft, and I want to rob you" scam!

'Tis indeed concerning that they know not only our phone numbers, but also our service provider.

Mayhap this is related to last year's hacking incident?

Must say I absolutely love your Signature! :smileyvery-happy:

talbotvanman
Team Player

Hi do what I have suggested many times, say, Oh dear !! hold the line while I switch the

computer on. Fact of the matter is they dont know if you even have a computer let alone

if it is switched on, they work on percentages. Meanwhile leave the phone off the hook for 

half an hour they soon get fed up waiting !

ferguson
Community Star

Steamywee wrote:

'Tis indeed concerning that they know not only our phone numbers, but also our service provider.

They don't necessarily know who you are with. And phone numbers are hardly a secret. So be suspicious whatever they claim to know about you, the simple fact is that TalkTalk would never contact you like this.

Steamywee
Wizz Kid

No ferguson, I recon there's more to it than that, using your presumtion of just random calls would only net them one hit in at least six calls.

ferguson
Community Star

That's OK, you can think what you like, the basic rules of thumb remain the same, that's the important thing. I mean if anybody claiming to represent TalkTalk (or any other organisation for that matter) phoned me and I wasn't expecting a call from them, I would just think "why?" Don't you?

Steamywee
Wizz Kid

No, my first thought would be "What do they want?" ...and when it becomes apparent they are scammers, my thoughts turn to how they select their quarry!

ferguson
Community Star

Ah, you see, this "select" business, you're taking it personally, you shouldn't. This stuff is done on an industrial scale, millions of calls a day, it's not personal for them. If they had the details they needed with which to scam you then they wouldn't need to phone in the first place, would they?

Steamywee
Wizz Kid

Point taken, but just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get me! :smileywink:

ferguson
Community Star

@Steamywee wrote:

Point taken, but just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get me! :smileywink:

:smileyvery-happy:

Highlighted
Not-Happy
Enlightened One

I'm paranoid i think

the calls started after i renewed my contract

strange ?

I am a lot happier when I don't have to deal with TalkTalk customer services on the phone
Steamywee
Wizz Kid

snap! I renewed 8 days ago and I've had a few of these calls since then, ever so genuine sounding, ...I couldn't understand a word, just like a real TT call!

Alicat58
Conversation Starter

I have been getting at least 2 calls per day for over 2 months now from these Indians who know my name and when I block every new number they come up with using a BT phone I had to buy because TalkTalk's blocking system is pathetic, they ring my mobile. They must have got my details from somewhere!! They are getting more clever as well by somehow using UK area codes and on one occasion the code of my own home town.
I have not answered one of these calls for weeks but they are unrelenting. I suffer from mental health issues and cannot work so I am at home most of the time and these calls are not helping my health in the slightest. Can anyone tell me if I could get my landline number changed? I cannot disconnect the phone as I have elderly relatives who do not have mobile phones and cannot afford call costs to my mobile which at least I can put on 'silent' during the day.
I realise it is not a personal vendetta but it feels like it, especially for people who have other issues to deal with. I have just this minute blocked yet another call and am getting near the end of my tether with the whole business. :womansad::womanmad::womanfrustrated:

talbotvanman
Team Player

From my experience of cold calling a one in six it would be amazing

and well worth the effort. As a doubling glazing salesman many years

ago the figures we worked on were 250 calls should produce 50 hits

resulting in 5 sales.

Yvonne-vonnie
First Timer

I agree with you. I can only assume that my details were obtained when talk talk got hacked because they know my name and I'm with talk talk. Two callers were quite rude. I work from home is I have physical and mental disabilities. I am sick of answering the phone from "talk talk" or " regarding my accident". How is this allowed, to constantly harass people. Is it not illegal?

Vic67
Conversation Starter

I have had four calls so far from people claiming to be from Talktalk.

All are obviouly from indian call centres.

Sample: "My name is (English name) I'm  calling from  talktalk. How are you today.

We have noticed problems with your internet connect which we need to deal with".

or "We are about to dis connect your internet connection"

or " We need to shut down your internet connection for a few days"

These are all designed to panic customers, which when most people are caught out.

When you dial 1471 you mostly get number withheld mesaage but sometimes they seem to have a UK telephone number. Make a note of any number and report it to Talktalk.

Mostly I just hang up but sometimes I play along for awhile to waste their time before telling them */$%+! "^*n~#

Steamywee
Wizz Kid

50 hits from 250 calls equates to one hit in five calls, so you were more successful than these little Indian pests are likely to be, if they are truly blind picking the numbers to call.

-mrt-
Wizz Kid

I also have started getting scam calls, two in the last week. The last one quoted my name, address and talktalk account number, though I didnt check if the account number was correct.

I am always suspicious of cold calls, and told her bluntly that I thought she was a scammer, as caller details were withheld, and she got very animated, talking over me - this is a dead giveaway, as in every experience I've had with talktalk's Indian call centres, they are always very polite!

I said, "OK, as you are from talktalk, and think I have a problem with my internet, what are the last notes made on my account?" That hit the spot, of course, she didn't know, and started floundering, all the while getting more angry. I said,"So you have no access to my technical notes, and in fact are part of a scamming operation to steal from me - you should be ashamed of yourself." At which point she hung up 🙂

I'm concerned that these calls have started now, as I was told my account details hadn't been hacked in the last couple of Talktalk security failures, and all I have done since is use online chat to get a phone fault rectified when I lost landline but had Internet - took a couple of days.

chris16
Wizz Kid

Had eleven calls today, the first just as I was going out at 1007 from David , a very foreign sounding individual, who claimed to be TalkTalk technical Dept. David launched into the usual spiel about my router and hung up when asked where was my new one. All calls were via VOIP and gave no number. The next call I answered was at 12.56pm this was a lady with a name I didn't catch but claimed she was TalkTalk & wanted me to power up my computer and press Windows plus R keys. This is a scam trick– in other words to start a “run” box in which to type in programme commands. Don’t let them baffle you with IT, every pc will have errors in its event log, so if you have doubts, say no, and ask a technical person. After this had another call from a David [not the same one of TalkTalk who rang at 1007].    David, when I explained that it was  not convenient for me at the moment, could I have a number to ring him back?  David then gave me a  number to contact him 02086380767. This a real  number but it just rings and rings.