Call from 0800 9555544 - scam?

9 REPLIES 9
fedup
Chat Champion

I know this is a TT number. I had a call made from it this morning, allegedly regarding a complaint I'd made a few weeks ago. Suspecting it was a scam, I refused to give any security details & insisted that the caller give details of the complaint so that I could verify it was from TT. They hung up.

OCE_Ady
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi fedup, that was a genuine call. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

fedup
Chat Champion

Thanks for letting me know, Ady. In that case, why wouldn't the caller provide details of the complaint to verify the call was genuine and why did he hang up? Like many others, I am inundated with scam 'phone calls purporting to be from TT, BT, Virgin, Sky, etc., all of whom claim to be my service provider!

As I wasn't expecting a call from TT, I was immediately suspicious. Surely, the safest option would be for a genuine caller to provide proof of their authenticity before customers give their personal details to prove they are the account holders. Quoting customers' account numbers is useless, as scammers have known my TT account number for years. Yesterday, if I was told the nature of my complaint, I would have verified my identity, but there's no way I'm going to do so for every Tom, *@#][!![]'#[@#]!* & Harry who 'phones out of the blue.

I8this
Philosopher

@fedup  To true mate. This number is being spoofed by the scammers and yet TalkTalk have failed to make any comments in this thread.

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Check-and-Report/08009555544/m-p/2122493?page=1#comments

If case you have forgotten the Do’s and Don’ts. There are members that have. Remember:-Be yourself and tell it like it is,. Be courteous to other customers. Give others the benefit of the doubt. Update your community profile. The Forum Guidelines apply to ALL members there are/should be, NO exceptions. If you have nothing nice to say, then say nothing at all.
fedup
Chat Champion

Thanks for the link, 18this. I wonder why "with TalkTalk my voice is my password" seems to have sunk without a trace. Impossible to believe that any system set up by TT could be anything but perfect, of course, so a glitch can't be the reason! That could have worked by recognizing our voices when they call us without risking giving personal details to scammers

OCE_Arne

Hi fedup

Did you register a complaint ? 

The complaint manager will need to call you and go through security before any discussion, but we wouldn't ask for information such as bank details, if you have a security password on your account they will use that. 

Regards

fedup
Chat Champion

I haven't got any open complaints - last one was resolved by CEO about 3 months ago - so I can't imagine why they want to ring about that.

Got a silent call from them again today - though, of course, I didn't know who it was until I dialled 1471

OCE_Arne

Hi fedup

You do have an open complaint regarding a discount on your account. 

Last attempt to call you was 9th March. 

fedup
Chat Champion

No, the discount issue was settled by the CEO, to whom I referred the complaint in view of the agent's  (and his/her Manager's!) total ineptitude & inability to understand or access the relevant records which would have proved that what I claimed was indeed correct. The agent offered to open a complaint and I refused, clearly stating that I would contact the CEO for resolution. I was given the discount and £25 compensation for having to endure the agent's incompetence.

OCE_Arne

When you contact the CEO office they open a complaint. 

It is still open, so I will ask them to close it as resolved. 

Regards