Calls from TalkTalk customer service

5 REPLIES 5
jaspertat
Chat Champion

Earlier this week I received a phone call from someone claiming to be from TalkTalk customer services. She called me and straight away wants me to answer the security questions on my account. Of course, I refused to give any information before she told me why she was calling and I had established to my satisfaction the call was genuine. She refused to answer my questions and terminated the call.

So, if the caller really was from TalkTalk how can the recipient tell if it is genuine?

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi jaspertat

I will look into this for you and get back to you. However I am pretty sure it was a scam call. 

I'll let you know what I find,  Did you note down the number that called? 

Regards

Community Team

Hi @jaspertat

I've checked and you have an open complaint therefore one of our managers called you to discuss it. 

Data protection did need to be confirmed to continue. 

jaspertat
Chat Champion

It was from a TalkTalk number but then calling numbers can be spoofed, so I never give them much credence.

jaspertat
Chat Champion

That is what made me wonder if it could have been a genuine call. However, the matter had been satisfactorily dealt with by one of TalkTalk managers the day before the call.

I think my question still needs answering.

How do I know a call purporting to come from TalkTalk is genuine?

Community Team

Hi jaspertat

We will only ever call if it was pre - arranged,  or as in this case you have contacted us regarding our service and had a complaint opened , Our agents will identify themselves and advise you that they are contacting you about your email or your complaint .  

If you are unsure then hang up (as you did) wait a few minutes and call us back there will be a note on your account advising that we have tried to contact you and the reason why.

Thanks